Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 38
Like Tree2Likes
  1. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
       #1  


    Honestly, this is just awful. How can such a person be in the tech blogging industry?
  2. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    #2  
    Umm, not read or support it.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Nokia Lumia 900 - OS: 7.10.8112.7 - Firmware: 2175.1002.8112.12084
    HTC Surround - OS: 7.10.8107.79 - Firmware: 2250.21.40500.502
  3. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
       #3  
    At the end of the day, these comparisons are what people see (it was "top rated" for Australia I believe) and there's hardly ever such straight-forward comparisons showing the weaknesses of the other operating systems. I think this could be something WP Central does, since they have the phones at their disposal.
  4. #4  
    You know what is the solution for this. We should make videos showing the right picture of Windows Phone 7.5, and that's fun, easy to use and more and more better every day. Siri is TellMe 2.0. The next update should fix that :)
  5. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_strahilovski View Post
    You know what is the solution for this. We should make videos showing the right picture of Windows Phone 7.5, and that's fun, easy to use and more and more better every day. Siri is TellMe 2.0. The next update should fix that :)
    I don't have an issue with Siri being better, since it is. I have an issue with these people going out of their way to fabricate weaknesses with Windows Phone when they really aren't being realistic. It would be like making a video of myself trying to press to the left and right of the iPhone home button because my Omnia 7 has two capacitive buttons there.
  6. ncxcstud's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,022 Posts
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by lumic View Post
    It would be like making a video of myself trying to press to the left and right of the iPhone home button because my Omnia 7 has two capacitive buttons there.
    Every time I use my wife's iPod, I do this... annoys the crap out of me. I love the back button :)
  7. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #7  
    i blame is AUSI accent. lol ;)

    but seriously how can you compare 2 things that arnt even the same ..

    tellme( on wp ) int made to open apps and creat appointments. lol... so why even use that as an exaple?
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  8. fisci's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    193 Posts
    Global Posts
    195 Global Posts
    #8  
    they should drop test the two phones ;)
  9. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    #9  
    I think part of the problem (and the reason behind that YouTube clip) was what this guy said:

    Microsoft thinks Windows Phone has Siri's functionality covered

    Ok, don't trash talk your own product - that's obvious. But pretending it can do something it can't is just silly because you're going to get caught and it WILL backfire.
  10. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #10  
    I love how people actually think Apple made SIRI, lol

    w/e , apple to ME will always be a bunch of FREELOADERS... meaning..

    - Samsung makes HALF their tech
    - they got SIRI from SIRI...
    - they rely on DEV to make it a good phone ( app launcher )

    they basically have tech handed to them , then pas it off as their own

    Apple hasten innovated anything sints the Ipod touch UI ( which is now used for EVERY product they come out with ) so that what now? 5-6years sins APPLE actually came out with something innovative on their own?
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  11. facetheduke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    30 Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    I think part of the problem (and the reason behind that YouTube clip) was what this guy said:

    Microsoft thinks Windows Phone has Siri's functionality covered

    Ok, don't trash talk your own product - that's obvious. But pretending it can do something it can't is just silly because you're going to get caught and it WILL backfire.
    Except - and if you watch the interview you'd know this (don't worry because none of the Apple blogs watched it either apparently) - he was ONLY talking about the interactive texting and the voice search (including the local search that was baked into the phone). Its not that he claimed that WP7 could do something it couldn't, its that he's been taken completely out of context.

    Never mind that his overriding point was that Siri has been hyped and marketed to the nth degree mostly because the 4S had little else to cheer about.

    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    I love how people actually think Apple made SIRI, lol

    w/e , apple to ME will always be a bunch of FREELOADERS... meaning..

    - Samsung makes HALF their tech
    - they got SIRI from SIRI...
    - they rely on DEV to make it a good phone ( app launcher )

    they basically have tech handed to them , then pas it off as their own

    Apple hasten innovated anything sints the Ipod touch UI ( which is now used for EVERY product they come out with ) so that what now? 5-6years sins APPLE actually came out with something innovative on their own?
    In the interest of fairness, Microsoft also bought TellMe. And MS relies on other vendors/manufacturers for every aspect of their business.
    selfcreation likes this.
  12. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    i blame is AUSI accent. lol ;)

    but seriously how can you compare 2 things that arnt even the same ..
    My accent is guaranteed weirder than his (Asian-Australian) but TellMe doesn't struggle. The problem was that he was using web search for everything, where certain offensive phrases are naturally searched more often than "10 am".

    He compared them because it is status-quo to hate on Microsoft, though the Microsoft executive who made the silly remark (EDIT: okay, taken out of context, but this a persistent issue with Microsoft - they should get their higher-ups to clearly state the context they are talking in) is partially to blame for instigating the whole mess.
    selfcreation likes this.
  13. Kahuna Cowboy's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    #13  
    It's a blog, everyone and their mother has a blog. Does not mean anyone pays attention to it. Maybe it's legit, maybe it's not, but anyone who has used Tellme does not experience this from my experience.
  14. Major's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    #14  
    My wife has an iPhone 4S. Siri, for the most part, sucks. Oh, unless the intent is for it to give "funny" responses. In that case, it's an unmitigated success.
  15. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorLonghorn View Post
    My wife has an iPhone 4S. Siri, for the most part, sucks. Oh, unless the intent is for it to give "funny" responses. In that case, it's an unmitigated success.
    SIRI works very well.

    im sorry but anyone who says it SUCKS. it just jealous and trying to hide it , cause SIRI (not the Iphone ) but SIRI is a AMMAZING peace of tech specially considering its in BETA

    how usefull it is in really real life ,,thats an other question doh.... its just a gimmick , like 3D phones , but its FAAAR from * SUCKS*

    nothing else on the market even comes close to what it can do.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by lumic View Post


    Honestly, this is just awful. How can such a person be in the tech blogging industry?
    This is better. Official response from Microsoft on the next link :)

    Microsoft's Craig Mundie On Siri: Been There, Done That (Video) - Forbes
  17. welsbloke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #17  
    I played this guys voice back into my WP and it created the text message perfectly which may lend some credence to the fact this was based on web searches.

    On the other hand I tried tai Kwan Doh and it came back Hi One Doll so what do you do...
  18. Major's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    #18  
    I will explain why Siri sucks. It sucks because it simply doesn't work correctly all too often. We've all seen all the comical responses it gives. Granted, some are due to the questions, but it just does not deliver the goods even with many perfectly reasonable queries. It's the best iteration of voice recognition technology currently available, but that doesn't mean it's good. Some day, voice recogntion will work flawlessly, but that day has not yet come.

    Beta you say? Well yes, it is in beta. The promise is there, but it's nothing more than a promise at this point. MS has been constantly derided for releasing products that were considered to be unfinished and using the consumers as de facto beta testers. Apple's rollout of Siri is no different, and Apple should be called out for it. Fair is fair.
  19. welsbloke's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    #19  
    Not to be accused of beating a dead horse but I find Siri to be a gimmick. It requires a fair amount of set up and then for me fails at the most important task which is to receive and prepare texts in my car. To be honest it is the only function I care about and I know Siri for all its smoke and mirrors cannot achieve it (I have to look at what it typed WP reads it back, small detail but critical to this task especially when you are trying to preserve a driving licence).


    But rather more important than this nonsense how about this comment from the Which? Consumer magazine in the UK with regards to the Nokia Lumia

    "The Lumias single core processor isnt as powerful as the dual core versions found on some rival devices so it wont be as quick"

    This is the sort of bad press that matters in my opinion.
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by welsbloke View Post
    I played this guys voice back into my WP and it created the text message perfectly which may lend some credence to the fact this was based on web searches.

    On the other hand I tried tai Kwan Doh and it came back Hi One Doll so what do you do...
    We all should notice that TellMe is first generation. I saw discussions on answer.microsoft.com about this problem and i'm optimistic about the next big release (Tango, Apollo, etc) will bring better response with this feature.
  21. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
       #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by welsbloke View Post
    "The Lumias single core processor isnt as powerful as the dual core versions found on some rival devices so it wont be as quick"
    This is another example, making claims which are completely fabricated and not based on real usage (the TellMe vs Siri video was obviously made by a full-time iOS user).

    If I could get someone to record, I'd be happy to bring in my Omnia to a carrier store in order to get some HD footage of the Atrix's dual-core versus my 2008 processor. Such a video would be nice to send to these publications who make false claims.
  22. N8ter's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #22  
    With properly coded apps no. The single core processor won't be as quick.

    That's why a 2ghz core 2 duo out performs a 3 ghz p4.

    No fabrication in that. Bad software underpeeforms regardless of what it is running on.

    Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
  23. starblade876's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    307 Posts
    Global Posts
    308 Global Posts
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by N8ter View Post
    With properly coded apps no. The single core processor won't be as quick.

    That's why a 2ghz core 2 duo out performs a 3 ghz p4.

    No fabrication in that. Bad software underpeeforms regardless of what it is running on.

    Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
    If you want to get technical, you're only correct when it comes to multitasking. If you're doing a single process, by pure math, a 3GHz will be faster than a 2GHz no matter how many cores.

    At any rate, I highly doubt that article he was referencing made note of WP being better written to use its hardware than Android is. This would be called misleading; not telling a whole story, which I believe is a form of fabrication.
    ♥♥♥
  24. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,448 Global Posts
    #24  
    Yes only with same arch. A 2ghz i3 will crush a 3.6ghz P4 in single threaded.
  25. N8ter's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    712 Posts
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by starblade876 View Post
    If you want to get technical, you're only correct when it comes to multitasking. If you're doing a single process, by pure math, a 3GHz will be faster than a 2GHz no matter how many cores.

    At any rate, I highly doubt that article he was referencing made note of WP being better written to use its hardware than Android is. This would be called misleading; not telling a whole story, which I believe is a form of fabrication.
    I have a P4 and amd64 dual core PC and an i3 notebook with slower clock than the P4 and amd. The i3 crushes both of them.

    Performance is not just about clock speed.

    That is why I will not waste cash in these gen 2 phone with old over clocked socs in them.

    Even single threaded, they're worse than the newer dual core processors. There is no win I using those old CPUs. Only marginal cost savings.

    That is all.


    Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions