WP7-Xbox Live Nightmare

44zippo44

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Been looking forward to my WP7 for awhile, though now I'm actually pretty disappointed.

During setup, used my current Live ID that all e-mail goes to. It's different than the one associated with my xbox live account, which is very old. WP7 creates a new gamer tag to go along with my primary ID that all the e-mail goes to before I even realize what's happening.

Realizing there is a problem, I boot up my xbox (thank goodness the gf got me a new one as the old one is dead) and then attempt to move my old gamer tag to my new ID. Says, of course, that new ID already has account associated with it (one just created by wp7).

Then, try to move new gamer tag to a DIFFERENT live ID, freeing up that ID so I can move my old gamer tag to it. Xbox informs me that I can only change e-mails once in a 30 day period.

Irate, disappointed, and somewhat incredulous. Law school finals coming up and I have to try and fix something that should never have happened to begin with? Tempted to return it. Definitely not going to recommend WP7 to anyone at this point.

44zippo44

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Yep, there's nothing they can do. Just have to wait 30 days. 3 hours I'll never get back, and ditto for my WP7 experience. So frustrating.

EDIT: so basically, if you don't have your gamertag with your windows live ID you use for e-mail during initial setup, you're hosed for 30 days. And you have to fix it through the most convoluted, unintuitive process imaginable on your xbox.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Added bonus if you put your desired email on your phone as your primary email then sign in to the Marketplace it will automatically assign you another gamer tag. I went through all of this when I started with Windows Phone. In the end I wound up changing my primary email account. This is one area that Microsoft integration across the platforms really needs improvement

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Yes that's not a nice experience, shame MS can't speed up the process for you.

Basically WP7 can only have one Live account (same way an iphone can only have one itunes account, i believe google does the same with their accounts) so if you have 2 different ones and you don't amalgamate them beforehand then you end up in your scenario where you have 2 live accounts with 2 gamertags.

What you can try doing is linking the two Live accounts rather than moving the gamertag, which is what I did:
Hotmail Tutorial - Linked account IDs

44zippo44

Nov 8, 2011
Visit site
Hmm

BigD5... that's exactly what happened to me, I just wrote it poorly.

JW how does linking accounts alleviate it? I linked them, but I don't know what else to do. Glad to see I'm not the only one. I'll be able to fix it after 30 days. Migrate primary e-mail gamertag to 3rd live id, then transfer gamertag to my primary e-mail. Less miffed then I was earlier.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I had my gamertag on my old email and then also had a new email account that i was using.
I linked the new email account to the old email and so now i just use the new email to sign into XBL and it does so with the gamertag from my old email.

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Google market does allow multiple accounts, but the market application, last I used it, really screws up which app you actually own, and will frequently report installed applicaitons as not installed.

Still happens on my TF101 (why, oh why!? I should of just used one account for that, instead of both work+my own gmail) and Atrix. Still does, though my Atrix is nearly clean, as all I do is just flash CM7 nightlies (when they resume them after the build bot goes down, again) on it. Same with my Nook Color! Boy oh boy, lol - too many gadgets for one man! -, I'm not really a smart person, don't take advice from me. :mad:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I just used my old email, with my gamertag, as my primary WP7 account. I just linked my main email afterwards. No issues that way.

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
Been looking forward to my WP7 for awhile, though now I'm actually pretty disappointed.

During setup, used my current Live ID that all e-mail goes to. It's different than the one associated with my xbox live account, which is very old. WP7 creates a new gamer tag to go along with my primary ID that all the e-mail goes to before I even realize what's happening.

Realizing there is a problem, I boot up my xbox (thank goodness the gf got me a new one as the old one is dead) and then attempt to move my old gamer tag to my new ID. Says, of course, that new ID already has account associated with it (one just created by wp7).

Then, try to move new gamer tag to a DIFFERENT live ID, freeing up that ID so I can move my old gamer tag to it. Xbox informs me that I can only change e-mails once in a 30 day period.

Irate, disappointed, and somewhat incredulous. Law school finals coming up and I have to try and fix something that should never have happened to begin with? Tempted to return it. Definitely not going to recommend WP7 to anyone at this point.

You should be mad at yourself for bungling up and using the wrong Live ID, not the phone. I used the right one and it was a beatufiul, fast, seamless experience.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6