Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 24 of 24
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ninjaap
  1. jd914's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
       #1  
    I have Spotify,Sirius xm buddy and slacker and was wondering how to close out of these apps. Right now all l do is put them on pause and move on. The problem with this is that they remain open on the lock screen. Is there something im doing wring? Or is this how it just is? TIA
    Last edited by JD914; 12-02-2011 at 10:57 AM.
  2. Vector555's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    #2  
    It's just the way it is.

    Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    Sent from Something Somwhere
  3. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    #3  
    Stop the Music.

    Not sure if this is what you are referring to.
    http://forums.windowscentral.com/app...ght/182683.htm
  4. Vector555's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    138 Posts
    #4  
    I've seen this app in the marketplace, doesn't it just pause/stop the music?

    Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express
    Sent from Something Somwhere
  5. nomoore's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    #5  
    I haven't found a way to turn it off on the lock screen.

    It has taken me a while to get used to not actually closing apps. I'm OK with it now for most stuff.

    <RANT>
    But my Slacker app actually verifies you want to exit when you press the back button enough times. But then even after you verify you want to exit, the song stays playing and stays on the lock screen. If it didn't ask to verify exiting it wouldn't bother me so much.

    They need to make it consistent with logic. If you want it to act in line with other WP7 apps then leave the functionality as it is but take away the "Exit" prompt. If you want the app to "exit" then exit all parts of the app. And if you can't remove the song from the lock screen then you should at least stop playback.
    </RANT>
  6. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #6  
    I just turn the phone off/on after leaving Slacker at the end of my workday. It's annoying and I wish it would actually close the music player when I leave the app but, I've kinda resigned myself for now to the idea of needing to do a quick power cycle to clear the music player.
  7. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #7  
    Why is it a problem? You only see it when you adjust volume. How often do you adjust your volume? Plus its not even running. Its suspended, not using any resources.
  8. enahs555's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    634 Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    I just turn the phone off/on after leaving Slacker at the end of my workday. It's annoying and I wish it would actually close the music player when I leave the app but, I've kinda resigned myself for now to the idea of needing to do a quick power cycle to clear the music player.
    Do not reset, us the stop music app , just search for stop music on marketplace.
  9. jd914's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    Why is it a problem? You only see it when you adjust volume. How often do you adjust your volume? Plus its not even running. Its suspended, not using any resources.
    its not a problem but a minor annoyance. You should be able to exit out of an app and forget about it. If I'm not running it anymore I don't want to see it on my lock screen.

    instead of being an apologist why not see the issue for what it is? Its a real issue and I'm sure it will get addressed either by an OS update or more than likely app update.
  10. jd914's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    I just turn the phone off/on after leaving Slacker at the end of my workday. It's annoying and I wish it would actually close the music player when I leave the app but, I've kinda resigned myself for now to the idea of needing to do a quick power cycle to clear the music player.
    that's too much of an extreme solution. I'm sure this will be addressed in the future.
  11. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    its not a problem but a minor annoyance. You should be able to exit out of an app and forget about it. If I'm not running it anymore I don't want to see it on my lock screen.

    instead of being an apologist why not see the issue for what it is? Its a real issue and I'm sure it will get addressed either by an OS update or more than likely app update.
    I'm fine with it either way. I hope MS does address it. It's obviously annoying some people.
  12. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    #12  
    Have you tried using stop the music? No idea what slacker is, but try the app and see if it solves your problem.
  13. Rhody#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    502 Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by JD914 View Post
    instead of being an apologist why not see the issue for what it is? Its a real issue and I'm sure it will get addressed either by an OS update or more than likely app update.
    I don't see it as being an apologist. There's nothing to apologize for. It's not an "issue" unless you make it one. It's like having an issue with the sky being blue.
  14. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #14  
    pre-Mango this "problem" did not exist (at least for me with Slacker) but, since the Mango update this is the way it's happening now so... clearly they COULD do what we are asking for. I've exited the program, it ASKED me to confirm that I wanted to exit the program... so why is the program STILL there? I don't care about the resource issue, I just want that when I close a program, it stays CLOSED. Speaking as a programmer I would have to call this sloppy coding.
    Last edited by wolf1891; 12-04-2011 at 12:00 PM.
  15. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't see it as being an apologist. There's nothing to apologize for. It's not an "issue" unless you make it one. It's like having an issue with the sky being blue.
    well, if the sky wasn't always blue but then one day an update was installed that made the sky be blue (instead of a nice shade of orange perhaps) without ever even telling me that the change was coming then I might very well have an issue with the color of the sky.
  16. jd914's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I don't see it as being an apologist. There's nothing to apologize for. It's not an "issue" unless you make it one. It's like having an issue with the sky being blue.
    This is the same attitude that turned me off to being an iOS user. Anytime there was room or improvement or an issue to be address iOS fnboys either, denied any problem exists or offered poor workarounds for what should have been addressed or can be addressed with future OS updates.

    Your sarcasm is lame and unproductive.
  17. jd914's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    271 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,377 Global Posts
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    pre-Mango this "problem" did not exist (at least for me with Slacker) but, since the Mango update this is the way it's happening now so... clearly they COULD do what we are asking for. I've exited the program, it ASKED me to confirm that I wanted to exit the program... so why is the program STILL there? I don't care about the resource issue, I just want that when I close a program, it stays CLOSED. Speaking as a programmer I would have to call this sloppy coding.
    Slacker has an exit option but still remains on the lock screen. Spotify has no exit option at all. I completely agree resource management isn't the issue, all I want to do is exit out of a program properly and not half a$$ed.
  18. #18  
    Seems to me WP7 has bigger issues to deal with than this. But then again, I guess an issue is only as big as you want it to be.
  19. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    pre-Mango this "problem" did not exist (at least for me with Slacker) but, since the Mango update this is the way it's happening now so... clearly they COULD do what we are asking for. I've exited the program, it ASKED me to confirm that I wanted to exit the program... so why is the program STILL there? I don't care about the resource issue, I just want that when I close a program, it stays CLOSED. Speaking as a programmer I would have to call this sloppy coding.
    If they added it, its either because more people asked for it to be added or they are simply trying to make it more Zune HD like. IIRC, this is how HD worked, but i can't test since I gave it away. Personally, I like that they added it. I listen to music a lot. I can just continue from where I left off, which is usually using Smart DJ. So am I an appologist for liking this feature? I don't think so. I WANT this feature. But if it disappears, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Its only going to add an extra tap or 2 to start up Smart DJ again from beyond the volume bar. So if it will appease your OCD, why not suggest at the MS suggestion site? Or you can get it done sooner and download the app that someone suggested.
    Rhody#WP likes this.
  20. Rhody#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    502 Posts
    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjaap View Post
    If they added it, its either because more people asked for it to be added or they are simply trying to make it more Zune HD like. IIRC, this is how HD worked, but i can't test since I gave it away. Personally, I like that they added it. I listen to music a lot. I can just continue from where I left off, which is usually using Smart DJ. So am I an appologist for liking this feature? I don't think so. I WANT this feature. But if it disappears, I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Its only going to add an extra tap or 2 to start up Smart DJ again from beyond the volume bar. So if it will appease your OCD, why not suggest at the MS suggestion site? Or you can get it done sooner and download the app that someone suggested.
    I'm with you, although if they take this feature away, I'll be upset. I like that the last thing I listened to is always there. I can always pick up where I left off, no matter where that was (Zune, Slacker, podcast, whatever). That's the way I want it to work. That's the way they intended it to work. Like I said, there's nothing to apologize for. Taking this away would not make it better.
  21. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhody View Post
    I'm with you, although if they take this feature away, I'll be upset. I like that the last thing I listened to is always there. I can always pick up where I left off, no matter where that was (Zune, Slacker, podcast, whatever). That's the way I want it to work. That's the way they intended it to work. Like I said, there's nothing to apologize for. Taking this away would not make it better.
    and... that is YOUR opinion... not mine. Show me a list of new features that were added to the O/S that includes this as one of them and I'll acknowledge the idea of calling it a "feature" (albeit not one that I care for at all) but, until then I will continue to call this sloppy coding.
  22. Rhody#WP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    502 Posts
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    and... that is YOUR opinion... not mine. Show me a list of new features that were added to the O/S that includes this as one of them and I'll acknowledge the idea of calling it a "feature" (albeit not one that I care for at all) but, until then I will continue to call this sloppy coding.
    I thought about that when I was typing it, but I realized NOBODY is talking about their opinion. Why should I? You didn't.

    Now, this "problem" did exist before Mango. Zune was the only app that would run in the background, and the "now playing" interface, which only displays in the lock screen and when adjusting the volume, always showed the last thing playing in Zune. What changed with Mango is other apps were allowed to run in the background. As a result, other apps were allowed to populate the "now playing" interface.

    Having the operating system keep track of the last thing that was played and displaying that even when the app isn't running isn't sloppy code. That's how many of us want it to work. Many of us like being able to pick up where we left off no matter what happened in between.

    On the other hand, some people seem to hate seeing that even though it doesn't really affect them. Why? What difference does it make? If it's useful to some people, and it doesn't really affect you, why do you want it removed?
  23. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,591 Global Posts
    #23  
    Zune does not play in the background of all apps. I was listening to music and wanted a flashlight. When I pressed the button to turn on the flashlight, the song stopped. When I turned the flashlight back off, the music started up again.
  24. ninjaap's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,454 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,466 Global Posts
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by power5 View Post
    Zune does not play in the background of all apps. I was listening to music and wanted a flashlight. When I pressed the button to turn on the flashlight, the song stopped. When I turned the flashlight back off, the music started up again.
    That's because flashlight apps uses built in camera app to access the rear led. By default, the OS turns off Zune when camera is launched, because you need the mic and speakers for video recording and playback.

    EDIT: recording a video is what stops Zune, not taking pics. So the flashlight app must be simulating a video recording to achieve constant on.
    Last edited by ninjaap; 12-05-2011 at 01:50 PM.

Posting Permissions