Voice Recognition Quality

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Is it determined by the hardware or the version of WP7 on the phone itself?

I'm using an LG Optimus Quantum with Mango, and the accuracy of picking up my voice when sending texts is atrocious.

Are other WP7 Phones better at this such as the Titan because I really like the idea of using Voice Recognition for most of my phone tasks.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Voice recognition takes place on a server somewhere not on your device so the device should not make any difference other than maybe a minor speaker change.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you have an unusual accent, it could be a challenge. Or if your car has a lot of background noise, that could also be an issue.

I've been impressed with TellMe. I've dictated a long drawn out paragraph to it and it was accurate.

Nemesis-X

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
That's the thing, I have no accent at all apart from my southern ontario drawl. I speak clearly and precisely but it still seems to be quite inaccurate often.

I take it TellMe is the built in voice recognition for wp7?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
It been pretty accurate for me. I'd say at least 98% of the time. Then again it's always short, quick answers to my wife or friends using voice SMS.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I suppose mix quality could cause issues. If it picks up background noise too much that could interfere with recognition.

I don't know anybody with an LG device. So it would be hard for me to know if there are problems with their devices.

Also keep in mind that if you don't have a data connection, it won't work. TellMe sends your voice to the TellMe server.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
I've only just recently trued even using it and it hasn't been that great for me either. I use the Arrive and have found mixed results with it. I haven't found any difference between using the phone itself or, a few times, I've been in my vehicle with hands free and when I hit the voice button on the phone, it runs through the mic on the vehicle's UConnect. I won't say I don't have an accent but I was born and raised in Florida where many of us don't have that Southern drawl or Northern flare. I've even done radio many years ago back when you really needed to have a decent speaking voice to work. I can't say that it's the speaker on the phone, or dialect/accents that the issue. Even tried holding the phone at different distances from my mouth when speaking into it and so far, I've been less than impressed. This isn't just for the SMS as I've had the same issues with other speech functions like the Bing search. Maybe it is more server related than software/hardware related. Perhaps someone can get into the Siri hack that was talked about a week or so ago and see if it works better on our phones than OEM direction. If it works better, that might show it's server software related.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb