Need tips on answering phone and quick muting

ElektroDragon

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
So this is my first smartphone, and I'm sad to say I'm having trouble answering the phone! Is there an easier way?? Here is why I have trouble:

1) Phone rings.
2) Screen says slide up, so I have to slide up.
3) Next screen says press this tiny answer call button to answer.

Now, I don't get a lot of calls, so in my urgency to answer the phone, I'm not that precise! For example, one time instead of sliding up I just pressed... and got the screensaver?!? How do I answer then?

Is there an easier way to answer the phone in general? I can't believe we don't just get one big button with a picture of a phone on it that we can press! Talk about bad usability. Usually when people answer phones they are scrambling. At least I am.

Also, is there some faster way to completely mute the phone besides putting it on a vibrate and turning the volume all the way down (to prevent notifiication sounds?) I have an HTC Titan.

Thanks for any tips!

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you just want to silence the ringer real quick just tap the volume button up or down. Example I have my phone in my pocket the phone rings I don't want to answer now I'm taking a piss or something like that so without taking the phone out of my pocket I just press where the volume button is and the ringer stops. Does that help? Otherwise your stuck with the slide and tap unless you get a Bluetooth with a Bluetooth you can answer from its answer button.

LinT

Oct 20, 2011
Visit site
one of the benefits of having to slide up, then press "answer" is that when it rings in your pocket and you reach in for the phone you wont accidentlay answer it. You'll get used to it pretty quick. (i did). As for "mute" I dont know if this is what you are looking for but if you hit either volume button it will bring up the "volume" panel... then just tap once on the upper right corner on the picture of the bell. That puts the phone in "silence" mode.

DarthVeda

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
On the topic, does anyone know if the phone can be answered when wearing a wired headset, i pressed the button on the headset and it muted the call :(

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
This probably wont answer your question, but I read:

One other thing I like about the Titan is Attentive Phone. If you're talking on the phone and need to use your hands for something, just put the phone face down and it automatically switches to speakerphone. If you're phone is ringing and you want it to stop, just turn it face down and the ringing stops. That's why the screen isn't flush, because it's meant to be put glass-side-down a lot. Brilliant design! I love it!

I want to try this out when I get my Titan!

Henrik Smedberg

Jun 13, 2013
Visit site
I agree - I would like to answer a call in one tap/movement. That works for both iOS and Android and I do not see why it shouldnt work for WP8. I am in generaral pleased with WP8 but this annoys me.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Another mute function is if you tap your power button once (the button that puts your phone into idle or whatever, turns the screen off). I prefer this method because it turns the screen off too.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3