How can I stop text message preview?

MysticCat

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
Recently got a SGH-I677 Samsung Focus Flash on AT&T US network. When I get a text message the first few words of it appear right on the screen for all to see. Anyone know how to get rid of this? Apart from that I really like the phone.

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't think there's a way. I would like a way to clear the notification off the screen quicker. It gets in the way when I'm playing PvZ. I can't press the notification, read the text, and then go back to the game. PvZ hasn't been updated to Mango yet. Ok, I guess this is more of a complaint against PvZ than anything else. ;-)

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Don't think there's a way. I would like a way to clear the notification off the screen quicker. It gets in the way when I'm playing PvZ. I can't press the notification, read the text, and then go back to the game. PvZ hasn't been updated to Mango yet. Ok, I guess this is more of a complaint against PvZ than anything else. ;-)

You can swipe the notifications away to the right.

MysticCat

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
You can swipe the notifications away to the right.
But will they still show on the screen? I don't want a preview of the text coming up at all if that makes sense. It's just so my kids don't see it when my friends swear in texts. Its fine to say its a new message and who it's from, I just want to change the setting somehow if it's possible.

Not sure if it is possible though :(

Thanks for replies.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's a way to stop that. I don't know about Android, but I know iPhone does the same thing. But yes, you can swipe it away if you're there when it happens. That's all you can do, though, unfortunately.

the_fly68

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've had this phone almost a year. Why did I not know that you could swipe the notification to the right to get it off the screen? Good to know but I don't know how i missed it.

mike311

Mar 23, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I've had this phone almost a year. Why did I not know that you could swipe the notification to the right to get it off the screen? Good to know but I don't know how i missed it.

you can swipe any notification. dont you love finding out new stuff even a year later?

straitda

May 27, 2011
Visit site
I didn't know about this swipe option either. Going to have my wife send me...whoa, just did it. Been on this phone for like 8 months and did not know that.

Sent from my T7575 using Board Express

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
But will they still show on the screen? I don't want a preview of the text coming up at all if that makes sense. It's just so my kids don't see it when my friends swear in texts. Its fine to say its a new message and who it's from, I just want to change the setting somehow if it's possible.

Not sure if it is possible though :(

Thanks for replies.

I'm assuming you let your kids play games on your phone, which is why you're asking. While not ideal, the only sure way is to place your phone into airplane mode; that will shut off the cellular radio.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I don't think there's a way to stop that. I don't know about Android, but I know iPhone does the same thing. But yes, you can swipe it away if you're there when it happens. That's all you can do, though, unfortunately.

You can turn off previews in iOS and it will just say SMS or iMessage instead.

View attachment 19636

On Android it's less of an issue because the text scrolls really fast in the notification bar and leaves an icon behind. I wish they'd have given an option to turn off previews in WP7. It's a bit of a privacy issue. Some people have their banks texting them, among other things. Plus, I just don't like people reading stuff on my phone, lol.

Some Third party IM clients are guilty of this as well.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

xink25

Feb 14, 2013
Visit site
i ve recently shifted to wp8 from android...
this preview problem is the biggest and i m thinking to go back to android because of this,
it can be stopped by installing GOSMS in android and using private box... its free...
bt WP8 doesn't ve any such msging app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99