Index Letters in Applications List

AggieWP7

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what to call it, but all of a sudden I have the "Index" letters to search contacts showing on my Applications List screen....they weren't there yesterday...not sure what I did (I'm a WP7 newbie) to get them there...but I would prefer them off...can anybody point me to the setting?

Thanks.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
There's no setting AggieWP7, they appear when you install a lot of apps.

You can't switch them off I'm afraid.

I find they are really quite helpful zipping through all my apps. :)

CobaltDragon

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
I think they show up only after you have a certain number of apps installed, to make it easier to quickly get to an app far down on the list once you have a bunch installed.

I don't think there is any way to remove them (aside from uninstalling some apps), but I agree it'd be nice if you could turn it off.

fifthGear

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Not sure what to call it, but all of a sudden I have the "Index" letters to search contacts showing on my Applications List screen....they weren't there yesterday...not sure what I did (I'm a WP7 newbie) to get them there...but I would prefer them off...can anybody point me to the setting?

Thanks.

Being new perhaps you're not aware that this sort of list with those letter headings is a jump list (You'll find another in the contacts list of your 'People' hub). You can touch any letter heading to bring up an alphabet that allows you to jump to the letter of your choice in the app list.

chasvs

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
I find this very helpful and wish I could turn it on regardless of how many apps I have. Kind if wish I could set it as the Default screen for the app list screen so I could just click the letter I need....

AggieWP7

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all for the quick responses...I'm sure I'll grow to like it. I really like the OS overall...just a few thing I need to get used to...

Thanks again

MadMup

Mar 8, 2011
Visit site
Along with this - I'm trying to have at least one app for each letter. I have everything but the X and the globe at the end (and I don't have any idea what that globe is for).

Suggestions?

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The globe is for apps that are foreign language MadMup, if you install say a Japanese App it will be listed under the globe.

xenTones may do for your X category. :)

Last edited:

crystinonfire

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled one of my apps and got the index/jump list to go away. Then I turned off my phone, turned it back on, and the jump list was back. I've uninstalled a few more apps, and the list is still there. It doesn't seem to matter how many apps I delete, I can't get it to go away. Any ideas or am I stuck with it regardless of my number of apps?

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I uninstalled one of my apps and got the index/jump list to go away. Then I turned off my phone, turned it back on, and the jump list was back. I've uninstalled a few more apps, and the list is still there. It doesn't seem to matter how many apps I delete, I can't get it to go away. Any ideas or am I stuck with it regardless of my number of apps?

From everything I've read - you're stuck with it unless you have an unlocked device and can edit a registry setting.

Yet another option MS should've included - the ability to turn off the letters.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte