Which phone on At&t?

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Hi guys, our family is currently on Verizon and I love my Trophy. We are looking at switching to At&t shortly because of better family plans and better reception at our home. I would like to know which WP7 you recommend. I already ruled out the Titan because of it's size and I am unfamiliar with the quality of rest of the WP lineup at At&t. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The first generation phones, such as the Focus and the Dell Venue Pro, are still popular. Also, if you can wait a couple of months, there will likely be a few more options, particularly from Nokia.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried the Titan before ruling it out? I actually ruled out HTC period, yet I ended up going with the Titan, not because of size, but because friends that have had both enjoyed the Titan more and from their experiences, the camera was better. This is subjective, but no one I know said the Focus S.

HTC also has a few apps which to me help make the WP7 experience a lot better.

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local Best Buy last weekend and all their phones were only dead display models. They did not have the Titan. This coming weekend I am making the trip to the At&t store downtown to check out the phones there. Hopefully they will have 'live' wp7's. Thanks all!

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I went to my local Best Buy last weekend and all their phones were only dead display models. They did not have the Titan. This coming weekend I am making the trip to the At&t store downtown to check out the phones there. Hopefully they will have 'live' wp7's. Thanks all!

Sent from my HTC Trophy using Board Express
Yeah, they will. Most of them actually have the Titan on display. I know in the city (NYC) they do... they even know which phones I was talking about.

SolunaKitty

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, they will. Most of them actually have the Titan on display. I know in the city (NYC) they do... they even know which phones I was talking about.

The ATT store near my place only had a dummy Focus Flash that could not handled. When the rep asked what I liked about the phone, I answered with, "I like the OS," and he promptly recommended that I get an Android (I forgot which one).

They Best Buy around my place also only has tethered phones that people could not hold/play with. =/

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It depends. If you want one on contract, and you want HSPA+ speeds (generally 3 mb down, if you're lucky) I'd suggest the Focus Flash. I think the Windows Phone OS pulls off smaller displays better than any other operating system, so the smallest display you can deal with means lighter weight, which is one of the most underrated aspects of a phone. From all the reviews I've read (and I read a LOT of phone reviews for some reason....) the Titan and the Focus S are both good phones as well. The problem I have with HTC phones is their heft and really bad battery life. I'm sure the Titan is great but I'm hesitant to trust HTC again after lugging their brick Inspire around for over a year.

If you want one off contract, I've read the Venue Pro is a nice combination of decent screen with physical keyboard and can be bought brand new off eBay for under $250. Personally, I've got the original Focus - its the only Windows Phone I'm aware of that allows you to put a MicroSD card in it for expansion. I've got enough music and podcasts that I need the extra space, and the original Focus has the best screen I've seen on a phone (other than the iPhone's retina display).

Plus, the advantage of the original Focus is that you can find them used in good condition cheap enough that you can take the plunge off contract for around $100 and if you hate it that much you can always use your contract to get a phone you really want. Resell the Focus and you'll probably get all your money back.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
At this time, the DVP is not what I would go for. Though it will likely still get the same updates as other gen 1 handsets the way Dell has backtracked on the compass doesnt imbue confidence in future device specific bugfixes. Support for other gen 1 devices is probably not the highest priority either. And at this point we're too close to seeing Nokia's and maybe other OEM's other devices so I would say sit tight for a few more weeks and see what is announced in 27 days at CES.

benzie

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I totally forgot about CES coming up so soon! I will probably wait now, since I can always pick up a Focus anytime. I used Nokia exclusively in the past when I had At&t (E63 and E71).

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yep, thing is if HTC and Samsung dont want to get steamrolled by Nokia they too will have something so we may get much more new stuff than we think.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If you can hold on for 2-3 months it may pay off because Nokia may have a couple of models available on AT&T in that timeframe. I highly recommend you wait.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss