Wifi doesn't stay connected during sleep?

jhkaplan

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
I just got my first WP7 yesterday, and I'm just running it on wifi only until I get my micro-sim adapter.

This morning, I was at the gym, streaming music from Spotify through the phone connected to my Jaybird bluetooth headphones. It would stream the music ok for a minute or two, but then all of the sudden the music would cut out.

I picked up my phone and noticed that it was trying to connect to the wifi network again. I was in a strong signal area, so it wouldn't drop out because of poor signal.

Does anyone know if the wifi will disconnect after X minutes of the phone not being active/on? This was very frustrating, and after 2-3 tries getting it to stream constantly, I disconnected the phone and started to stream Spotify on my iphone that i had with me.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Yes, when it goes to sleep it turns the WiFi off, to save power, by default action.

Blame it on the Spotify app for not keeping the connection live when sleeping.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Ok so it's something the developers can work around? It's not a limitation of the OS?

iHeartRadio, LastFM, and Slacker all keep playing when I have the phone in airplane mode and then manually turning on WiFi for as long as I keep listening, with the phone in sleep mode. So I say yes, either something is wrong with Spotify (I have not used it yet, maybe somebody else can verify it) or with your phone! But it is not a OS limitation, correct.

What phone do you have?

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
If you set one of your emails to "as it arrives" that will keep WIFI connected it has to stay on so the mail server can detect and send the emails.

jhkaplan

Sep 24, 2006
Visit site
iHeartRadio, LastFM, and Slacker all keep playing when I have the phone in airplane mode and then manually turning on WiFi for as long as I keep listening, with the phone in sleep mode. So I say yes, either something is wrong with Spotify (I have not used it yet, maybe somebody else can verify it) or with your phone! But it is not a OS limitation, correct.

What phone do you have?

I have a Samsung Focus (not S) on ATT

I'll contact the Spotify devs and see what they say.

novaprime9

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If you set one of your emails to "as it arrives" that will keep WIFI connected it has to stay on so the mail server can detect and send the emails.
Are you sure on this? I keep my gmail account set to "as they arrive," and keep my cellular connection off while home (for testing this, specifically). In my experience with this, the connection is terminated regardless of that "as they arrive" setting. When I wake the phone, it reconnects to the wifi and I get a slew of new emails. Takes about 10-15 seconds for them to show up. Same with weather apps- they aren't updated until the phone is awoken.

My apologies if I'm incorrect; I'm just sharing my experience with this.

richu75

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site

No it does not. Setting e-mail accounts to 'as items arrive' just enables push (which only works with cellular/3G), which in turn wakes the wifi. The phone then downloads the items.

There is a very nice article on MSDN about push on wp7: Push Notifications Overview

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
As a person who had his Focus on Wifi-only for about two and a half months, I feel like I can be of use. :D Wifi is turned off after a about a minute after the screen times out. It is then restarted when the screen is awoken (not unlocked). The e-mail method doesn't work. I had all of my emails set to that setting and it would still reconnect as soon as I turned the phone back on.

I am pretty sure it didn't time out when playing music streaming through Zune, though. I can't believe I never thought about it, but I would leave my phone alone streaming and it worked. (That would've been helpful, given it stops updating my emails when the screen is off.) I'd contact Spotify and/or @winphonesupport and ask them if they know the best way to fix it.

For the time being, you might could try setting the screen time-out to never. "Settings>System(spoke)>lock+wallpaper>screen times out after" Of course then you'd have to be careful of which buttons you press. Maybe you could open an app like Flashlight-X, which has an option that makes you confirm before closing out the program (you have to enable it). There's little likelihood that you'll press both the back/home/search button and then the "ok" pop-up, right?

That may be a little much, but it is at least a work-around until they get it fixed.

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
No it does not. Setting e-mail accounts to 'as items arrive' just enables push (which only works with cellular/3G), which in turn wakes the wifi. The phone then downloads the items.

There is a very nice article on MSDN about push on wp7: Push Notifications Overview

My apologize everyone I'm not sure why I thought this was working. I have not tested this in a while but after seeing these comments I tested some more it does not work. Thanks for correcting me I don't want to go around passing bad information.

Sumit8

May 5, 2012
Visit site
This is not only an issue for email and music streaming.
Most popular example would be a starbucks where you have to open up a website and click "connect" to access the wifi. I have to redo this evertime the phone goes to sleep (screen turns off). Why can't i turn that off? Seriously... i have to withhold myself from a huge rant against wp right now (i got it two days ago) for missing some stuff i consider as basic smartphone functions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3