Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree49Likes

meh...

10 years ago, everyone laughed at this insane and crazy idea that Microsoft is entering the game console business. Talk about late! Going up against Sony & Nintendo! holy crap! Are they nuts? How in the world do they ever think they can compete against them?

1st year? flop. 2nd year? flop. 3rd, 4th, 5th? meh... not bad but still not a competitor really. Xbox 360 comes out and now look at Xbox.

It's extremely short sighted to think that ONE year after a brand new product is released in a highly competitive market to call it a failure. If Android was the one that came up today and iPhone & WP7 were the top two, Android would be in the exact same spot as WP7 (if not worse).

Microsoft is known for one thing: Persistance. The company will keep going after this segment until they reach the goal they are satisified with. Happened before and will probably happen again. They have everything they need at their disposal (technology, people, money, partners) to make it happen. The last ingredient is "time". 2012 should be great.
    Last edited by duvi; 12-24-2011 at 01:02 PM.
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by kinslayer View Post
    meh...

10 years ago, everyone laughed at this insane and crazy idea that Microsoft is entering the game console business. Talk about late! Going up against Sony & Nintendo! holy crap! Are they nuts? How in the world do they ever think they can compete against them?

1st year? flop. 2nd year? flop. 3rd, 4th, 5th? meh... not bad but still not a competitor really. Xbox 360 comes out and now look at Xbox.

It's extremely short sighted to think that ONE year after a brand new product is released in a highly competitive market to call it a failure. If Android was the one that came up today and iPhone & WP7 were the top two, Android would be in the exact same spot as WP7 (if not worse).

Microsoft is known for one thing: Persistance. The company will keep going after this segment until they reach the goal they are satisified with. Happened before and will probably happen again. They have everything they need at their disposal (technology, people, money, partners) to make it happen. The last ingredient is "time". 2012 should be great.
    There's a big difference between the gaming vs mobile world when Microsoft took both on. In 2001, the gaming world didn't have one dominating world beater that looked impossible to take down. Whereas in 2011, Apple is so ultra-dominant that they will never be taken down in our lifetimes. Microsoft took advantage of substandard gaming to create the gold standard by 2011, kudos to them on that. Even Steve Jobs would give a pat on the back for that.

^ Also people can own a PS3 and XBOX etc people wont own 2 phones that can pretty much do the same thing.

But his point is Microsoft researched the gaming market very carefully and found things to improve apon. I am sure they are doing the same thing with the Mobile market look at what they already started which is deep integration with social networking. MS is going to bank that its 3 screens and a cloud will help sell MS mobile and desktop platforms

So basically by KingCrimson's definition of life, one should always give up because the big bully in town is "too hard to beat". And rofl @ "they will never be taken down in our lifetime"
    jaded skies likes this.

This thread is hilarious. What a load of BS.
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"
    JoseCortesP likes this.

Global Posts
    250 Global Posts
    Wtf is too late anyway?

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    The person who created this thread clearly wanted to get a rise out of the members. I don't begrudge them at all. Keeps the board interesting.

That said, WP7 will prevail as a viable alternative in the mobile OS market. Microsoft has the capital, desire and ability to make that happen. Let's not forget the overwhelming majority of people who will own a smartphone in the future have not purchased one yet. We are still early in this game. That means Microsoft has many opportunities to pick up new users. Clearly, they must do something about biased sales people because most of the new people picking up smartphones in the future will not research boards like this extensively. They will either go with what friends/family have or follow the suggestion of a salesperson.

It is not as if cracks are not appearing in the competing ecosystems.

Apple:
    - Could not come out with a fresh device
    - Refuses to produce a screen size that people want
    - Is motivated to be the highest earning player and not necessarily the largest in scale.

Andriod:
    - Can fix fragmentation.
    - Just suffered a major blow by Samsung saying 10 million Galaxy phones will not receive Ice Cream Sandwich.
    - Is easy pickings for hackers, which guarantees it will never be the choice of most Corporate IT departments.

Both iOS and Andriod will continue to sell in the millions. It would be completely disingenuous for me to deny that. However, to say the above does not create opportunity for Microsoft is shortsighted. Microsoft may have an uphill battle to fight but there are hundreds of millions of people that think fondly of the company and its products. I am one of them. And once the convergence of the user experience across platforms is completed, there will be demand for the WP7 mobile experience.

This is my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dturpin1 View Post
    It is not as if cracks are not appearing in the competing ecosystems.

Apple:
    - Could not come out with a fresh device
    - Refuses to produce a screen size that people want
    - Is motivated to be the highest earning player and not necessarily the largest in scale.

Andriod:
    - Can fix fragmentation.
    - Just suffered a major blow by Samsung saying 10 million Galaxy phones will not receive Ice Cream Sandwich.
    - Is easy pickings for hackers, which guarantees it will never be the choice of most Corporate IT departments.
    First of all, Apple is on pace to sell 30.3 million iPhones this quarter. Obviously the 4S not being a major revision has had no impact on the public's thirst for iPhones.

Second, I do believe WP has a chance because Android is stumbling due to fragmentation and malware. We'll see if Microsoft/Nokia can take advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    First of all, Apple is on pace to sell 30.3 million iPhones this quarter. Obviously the 4S not being a major revision has had no impact on the public's thirst for iPhones.

Second, I do believe WP has a chance because Android is stumbling due to fragmentation and malware. We'll see if Microsoft/Nokia can take advantage.
    Thats great 30.3 million iPhones but heres another thing about the iphone which is preimum price I bet a majority of iPhone users when it comes to their next upgrade might reconsider their next phone based on price.

Heres the thing Microsoft is actually doing itself a favor by releasing Xbox Live, Kinectimals, Office etc on iOS and marketing alot of apps as available on iOS and WP7 banking on the chance that ppl will try the apps and love them. Now when it comes to upgrading the consumers have a choice I can either pay 199$ for a preimum iPhone X or pay 0.99$ for a WP7 which can run all the MS applications and 3rd party apps.

This is something that can be used towards WP favor later on but of course WP needs to build a strong portofilio without 3rd party support they aren't going to do great but it looks like Nokia + Microsoft are really working hard at solving this.

Global Posts
    3,509 Global Posts
    PIN
    Private Message
    There's a big difference between the gaming vs mobile world when Microsoft took both on. In 2001, the gaming world didn't have one dominating world beater that looked impossible to take down. Whereas in 2011, Apple is so ultra-dominant that they will never be taken down in our lifetimes. Microsoft took advantage of substandard gaming to create the gold standard by 2011, kudos to them on that. Even Steve Jobs would give a pat on the back for that.
    Actually, if you are not rewriting history, there was one dominating "world beater" in the gaming world: The PC. The Playstation was considered the "niche device" for those that wanted gaming only, and the PC was the absoulute KING of gaming. There wasn't one game that didn't come out for the PC. It was the top gun. Now, is that the same as the iPhone? Nah. It was a different beast. But the point is Microsoft saw WHY the PC was top dawg: It had the ability to allow players to compete online with each other. That was the niche they took: Online gaming. They built the entire system around that and great graphics. They built their brand.

Smartphone adoption is actually growing faster than the gaming world did. Every year, more and more consumers drop feature phones and move to Smartphones. The last statistic I heard was that next year might be the first year global Smartphone sales may outpace Basic phone sales. That is close to a near certainty in developed countries. Translation? Less than 50% of the cell phone owners right now are smart phone owners. Millions of people will move. Are they ALL iPhone users in your world? Is every person truly happy with Android? How about if Apple just keeps recycling the same design and features over and over? You do not think a "Blackberry-ish" backlash might happen?

Windows ecosystem is growing. It has ever evolving document and buisness support. It is a part of the largest software in circulation. It is a part of the XBOX family, offers access to cloud storage, has grown to over 40,000 apps in over a year, added hundreds of features, dozens of manufacturers, dozens of new markets, and you think it is done? I got a nice, shiney dollar coin that says you are slightly mistaken.

Boy, I rambled. Sorry.....but I feel a lot better.
    jaded skies likes this.

I will subscribe to this thread just so I can dig it up in 12 months time...
    Google - "Don't be evil. . . much!"

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I have never been able to make up my mind between "DailyFail" or "DailyLOL".

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts

Apple will sell a lot of phones, no doubt about that. However, we can't definitively say the failure to produce a larger screen has had no impact. If Apple would have produced a 4.5 inch screen they may have sold 60 million phones this quarter. We will never know.

What we do know is the population of people looking for small screens is not as large as the population of people looking for larger screens nor is the population of small screen people growing. Furthermore, I believe many of the current sales of the 4S are going to existing iPhone owners. Not all but a lot. They are already heavily invested into the ecosystem and that's cool.

Microsoft should not undertake a strategy of plying heavily invested iPhone users away from Apple. They also should not try to do that for Android owners either. Not going to happen for most. What they should do is focus on winning over the hundreds of millions that have yet to buy a smartphone. Then once a large user base has been established, others from competing ecosystems will become more naturally curious as they see people with WP7 devices out and about.

Best Regards
    Thanked by:
    TheRewardisCheese likes this.

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kinslayer View Post

^^+1 on this.......

Global Posts
    351 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dturpin1 View Post

Microsoft should not undertake a strategy of plying heavily invested iPhone users away from Apple. They also should not try to do that for Android owners either. Not going to happen for most. What they should do is focus on winning over the hundreds of millions that have yet to buy a smartphone. Then once a large user base has been established, others from competing ecosystems will become more naturally curious as they see people with WP7 devices out and about.

Best Regards
    I agree that this strategy would work well in Microsoft's and WP favor. Where I work we have mostly android and iphone users with a few people still using non smartphones. I know I have tried to convince some coworkers already owning a android or iphone to just "TRY" the WP phones and 99% of them thought it was slightly intriguing but are resolved to the notion that WP = Windows Mobile = FAIL & FRUSTRATION.

However, a few of my never-used-a-smartphone coworkers seemed sincerely interested in WP and would definitely consider trying it over Android at least (but still enticed by the flashy, blingy apple effect). A few of them really liked the deep interegration of social communications, etc.. since they are constantly on Facebook.

WP will only get better with time, just like a lot of things in life, like a good vino :)

wow... so a Troll started this Thread and in one of his replies he says:

"There's a big difference between the gaming vs mobile world when Microsoft took both on. In 2001, the gaming world didn't have one dominating world beater that looked impossible to take down"

LOL at this *****. im sorry but thats the only word i can find.

do you seriously say that?? do you know how many playstation 2 sold? like 150 million. while GameCube 21.74 million. dreamcast 10.6 million. xbox 1 like 25 million.
    and 5th generation console = playstation 1 like 100 million. while N64 32.93 million

so HOW wasnt that a company/console dominating?? obviously it was and numbers show how SONY was dominating with their cool playstation.
    But now what?? Xbox360 is beating PS3. because xbox360 has shown its a really nice console. even with xbox live gold, still it has sold more than ps3.
    why? because people likes it, and people will buy what they like.

so it may happen to Windows Phone because people like it, and see and amazing OS specially after Mango update.

i saw this today klbi | Samsung Wembley

yeah a country like costa rica will get it. i read it on a newspaper and most comments were about people excited about it or people who actually have it or have seen it. the people talking bad about it were just anti-microsoft people who still think its like WM 2003.

and of course when the ecosystem grows and gets better and more integrated with windows and xbox.do you think people wont want to switch? alot of people may do it only because they will have xbox360 and windows computers.
    also... some people are on contract so they cant just switch to windows phone right now even if they wanted to.

so go away, get an android or your beloved iPhone the one super dominating.
    seriously, only idiots can believe stupid articles with "amazing" 5000 sales statistics :D, and then say they should shut down the division based on that.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I don't think it is fair to compare Microsoft to bad actors like RIM and HP/Palm. RIM and HP/Palm make horrible decisions, such as releasing an *enterprise tablet* with no email app, or building up **** tons of hype only to release the *exact same phone* as last year.

Microsoft does have the stigma of Windows Mobile to overcome, becuase they waited WAY to long to see where the market was going after iPhone and Android came out, but they finally figured it out, and are making all the right decisions along the way. The only thing working against them right now is *time*. Which is a helluva lot better than working with an insane or idiotic CEO (Apotheker or those two nuts that run RIM).

Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    Kingcrimson,

An interesting article about the iPhone beginning to falter in European sales.

New iPhone? No thanks, say cash-conscious Europeans - Yahoo! News
    jaded skies likes this.

mango is the first important update.we will see how tango and Apollo change the world.

While I totally disagree with the OP's statement and opinion, I also see that the adoption of the platform by the typical consumer will be a difficult uphill battle. I work for a retail business that is testing a new marketing strategy to entice customers to our stores which involves smartphones. 50% of the customers that I get signed up have an iPhone, 35% android, and the remaining 15% with a Blackberry. These are estimates. I have never worked with a single customer who has a WP. And when I talk about my great experience with WP, they scoff at the idea of a windows phone. A majority of these smartphone users don't seem to know how to use their phones completely. I also tell them that my wife loves the fact that her WP is so easy and so connected with facebook. That will be the key to this battle, who has mindshare and how easy can it be made to appear.
    Not everybody wants a smartphone. For those that do, they will pickup what they know or have seen others use as they "upgrade". If the carriers don't fully support anything but iPhone or Android, and Microsoft doesn't give them an incentive to support anything else, then we will not see the growth in WP phone sales. There have been posts about Amazon. How many of those were to existing WP users who wanted something beyond their first gen handsets? If we say that about the iPhone, we must be critical about our OS environment.
    I didn't want this post to be negative about WP and it's future. These are just observations from my everday interactions. I can't wait to see what happens in 2012 with our OS and the phones that support it.

Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    any idea of what Tango will bring?

Global Posts
    2,411 Global Posts
    LTE dfferent screen sizes and resolutions more different languages supported
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts
    Nokia's 'last-ditch' Windows phone stumbles - sales crawl behind Androids, iPhones and even BlackBerries | Mail Online

Guys it time to admit, it's over for Windows Phone and Microsoft better just shut the division down.
    What an effing moronic statement.:mad:

This time next year WP will be the #3 OS and heading to #2. RIM will be history with WP taking all of the former RIM users.:happy:
    jaded skies likes this.

Global Posts
    1,890 Global Posts
    Nokia's 'last-ditch' Windows phone stumbles - sales crawl behind Androids, iPhones and even BlackBerries | Mail Online

Guys it time to admit, it's over for Windows Phone and Microsoft better just shut the division down.
    Such BS.:mad:

If you think WP is over, them go elsewhere. I for one, believe WP will have a breakout year in 2012:happy:
    Last edited by Chasvs; 12-25-2011 at 10:37 PM.

I'm glad to see this thread got the angry responses it deserved. Was busy the first time I saw it, which is probably just as well.

I'll just add that O2 in the UK sold out of Lumias online (though still in stock in store) which hardly indicates poor sales. Furthermore, as others have said, WP7 runs smoothly on even the 1st gen and low-end devices, this is where it is going to excel, especially over Android.

Unless there is some miraculous recovery in the world economy people are going to be wanting cheaper phones for the foreseeable future. What would you choose? A cheap Android that doesn't have and wont get any further OS updates and chugs along like a wounded animal; or a cheap Windows Phone that runs smooth as butter? Bring on 2012!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast