Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 70
Like Tree8Likes
  1. mkr10001
    mkr10001's Avatar
    Guest
    #1  
    File system, ability to download and save files off the internet. Video playing!! I want to watch tvcatchup on my lumia but I can't.

    Flash as well. I know adobe said they were stopping development for flash for mobile....but 99% of sites out there AREN'T. It's all fine and well moving on but don't leave wp7 in the dark. MS better get on this sharpish.

    Also iOS and android developers needs to get off their arses and do apps for wp7.

    Anyone who says wp7 is crap has obviously never used it, need to give it a chance
  2. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #2  
    The file system thing is not legitimate as that ability does not exist on either iOS or non-rooted Android. The whole point of a mobile phone is ease of use. Fiddling around with the file system goes against that philosophy.

    Flash is no good. Even though my Kindle Fire comes with it, I tried it on a web site for streaming video and it was choppy and awful. Just not enough processing power on mobile devices to support Flash.

    Why should iOS developers bother with a non-existent platform? I know iOS developers making loads of money off that alone and they dislike Microsoft too.

    I've seen plenty of WP7 demos on Youtube, it is impressive but overall the ecosystem is lacking. Not just lack of quality apps, but lack of hardware accessories. Where are the docks?
  3. mhans311's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    The file system thing is not legitimate as that ability does not exist on either iOS or non-rooted Android. The whole point of a mobile phone is ease of use. Fiddling around with the file system goes against that philosophy.

    Flash is no good. Even though my Kindle Fire comes with it, I tried it on a web site for streaming video and it was choppy and awful. Just not enough processing power on mobile devices to support Flash.

    Why should iOS developers bother with a non-existent platform? I know iOS developers making loads of money off that alone and they dislike Microsoft too.

    I've seen plenty of WP7 demos on Youtube, it is impressive but overall the ecosystem is lacking. Not just lack of quality apps, but lack of hardware accessories. Where are the docks?
    My Droid X came with a file explorer stock.

    Flash is definitely not ideal, but at times it is a necessary evil. Actually, just now to register for this forum I had to use flash on my phone's web browser.

    I do agree that the app support is just not there for wp7. If it were, I would switch tomorrow. That is the main thing holding me back. WP7 design makes iOS and Android look like they were designed by a 10 year old.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Premium1 likes this.
  4. KingCrimson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    631 Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhans311 View Post
    My Droid X came with a file explorer stock.

    Flash is definitely not ideal, but at times it is a necessary evil. Actually, just now to register for this forum I had to use flash on my phone's web browser.

    I do agree that the app support is just not there for wp7. If it were, I would switch tomorrow. That is the main thing holding me back. WP7 design makes iOS and Android look like they were designed by a 10 year old.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Once again, I don't know what you do with a file system on a mobile device, can you give me some use cases?

    Flash is just no good and Apple has proven it with their success being Flash-free.

    Regarding iOS looking like a UI designed by a 10yo - that is insulting. It's inspired by the OS X GUI which is originally inspired by the Xerox PARC project which i can assure you was not designed by kids. Do you study computing history at all?
  5. jleebiker's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    1,269 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,296 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    Once again, I don't know what you do with a file system on a mobile device, can you give me some use cases?

    Flash is just no good and Apple has proven it with their success being Flash-free.

    Regarding iOS looking like a UI designed by a 10yo - that is insulting. It's inspired by the OS X GUI which is originally inspired by the Xerox PARC project which i can assure you was not designed by kids. Do you study computing history at all?
    File level access-I've had to use my phone as an emergency USB drive from time to time. Not storing of pics or videos or songs, plain files of many diff types. Its convenient to just connect my phone to the PC and move files. Not every PC is connected to a network or the cloud.
  6. Silverdogz's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    183 Posts
    #6  
    I think there is an option in settings that says recognize as USB drive.

    Sent from my FOCUS S using Board Express
  7. jleebiker's Avatar
    Developer

    Posts
    1,269 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,296 Global Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverdogz View Post
    I think there is an option in settings that says recognize as USB drive.

    Sent from my FOCUS S using Board Express
    I just checked all the settings and couldn't find anything about it.
  8. mhans311's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #8  
    Originally Posted by mhans311
    My Droid X came with a file explorer stock.

    Flash is definitely not ideal, but at times it is a necessary evil. Actually, just now to register for this forum I had to use flash on my phone's web browser.

    I do agree that the app support is just not there for wp7. If it were, I would switch tomorrow. That is the main thing holding me back. WP7 design makes iOS and Android look like they were designed by a 10 year old.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Once again, I don't know what you do with a file system on a mobile device, can you give me some use cases?

    Flash is just no good and Apple has proven it with their success being Flash-free.

    Regarding iOS looking like a UI designed by a 10yo - that is insulting. It's inspired by the OS X GUI which is originally inspired by the Xerox PARC project which i can assure you was not designed by kids. Do you study computing history at all?
    Actually no. I don't study computing history. All I know is that the iOS UI is nothing but a grid of icons. Not very inspiring. Apple is successful because of the apps and the ecosystem, not because of its UI. Apple has some awesome apps and their products look nice. That's why they are so successful.

    I don't like flash either, but apple is successful despite lack of flash support, not because of lack of flash support. It's nice to have the option of using it if I need it.

    I don't use file explorers much but I do use them sometimes to move and rename files.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Thanked by:
  9. mYth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    51 Posts
    #9  
    Wp7 is just a grid of tiles. Not seeing a huge difference. Blackberry is a grid of apps. Android is a grid of apps and widgets. Webos is yeah. You get the point.

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Current: iPhone 4S
    Past: [Palm] Pre 2, Pre+ - [iPhone] White 3GS 16gb, Black 3G 8gb - [Blackberry] Torch 9800, Onyx 9700, Bold 9000, Pearl 8120 - [Android] HTC Aria - [WM] HTC Fuze, HTC HD7S



  10. mhans311's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Global Posts
    594 Global Posts
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by mYth View Post
    Wp7 is just a grid of tiles. Not seeing a huge difference. Blackberry is a grid of apps. Android is a grid of apps and widgets. Webos is yeah. You get the point.

    Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express
    Actually android has a lot more options with live updating Widgets and live wallpapers. It only turns into a straight grid when you open the app drawer. WP7 has live tiles that actually change and move and actually give some valuable information without having to open an app for every single thing.

    Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    The Liaison likes this.
  11. InfectedPhreak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #11  
    In my daily life having a rooted and ROM'd DInc, I never use the file explorer. Some people need it, and some people don't.... That's why we have options, and countless devices on the market.

    As for apps, I would much rather see... 50,000 quality apps then 500,000 bloat apps. I'm not saying that WP7 has or doesn't have quality apps... but I still don't see the argument when it comes to app stores. iOS was the first market, and obviously is going to have every app first and foremost. With Android rising to the top very quickly a lot of the iOS apps are being made or ported over to Android. Once WP7 picks up, and becomes the norm and is integrated into society I guarantee we'll see a lot more apps.

    Every phone has a purpose, and everyone has a purpose for a phone. Flock to what you need from your device.
    soulzero likes this.
  12. mkr10001
    mkr10001's Avatar
    Guest
    #12  
    Symbian aka the original smartphone OS had file system and still does. That is something a smartphone really should have
    The Liaison likes this.
  13. lumic
    lumic's Avatar
    Guest
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Jleebiker View Post
    File level access-I've had to use my phone as an emergency USB drive from time to time. Not storing of pics or videos or songs, plain files of many diff types. Its convenient to just connect my phone to the PC and move files. Not every PC is connected to a network or the cloud.
    Mass Storage -> Partitioning -> Mess

    Quote Originally Posted by mkr10001 View Post
    Symbian aka the original smartphone OS had file system and still does. That is something a smartphone really should have
    Provide a use case apart from using a microSD card as a mass storage device, hence introducing partitioning and the subsequent inability to utilise all memory you have for what you want. Besides, does it cause you pain to keep a tiny 8GB thumb drive nearby? I'll even buy you one.
  14. koolkid09's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,082 Global Posts
    #14  
    I use astro file manager (a file system) on my phone all the time. I use it to move files from folder to folder, create new folders, hide pictures (that I otherwise would not be able to do on the computer), etc... I couldn't imagine having a phone without one.

    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk
  15. mkr10001
    mkr10001's Avatar
    Guest
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by lumic View Post
    Mass Storage -> Partitioning -> Mess


    Provide a use case apart from using a microSD card as a mass storage device, hence introducing partitioning and the subsequent inability to utilise all memory you have for what you want. Besides, does it cause you pain to keep a tiny 8GB thumb drive nearby? I'll even buy you one.
    a usb thumb drive won't help me save files to my phone. I would love to (once again ) be able to download a zip file on my phone, unzip and listen to music inside it. Surely the point if a smartphone is to be able to do stuff you can do on a computer bur on your phone
  16. InfectedPhreak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by koolkid09 View Post
    I use astro file manager (a file system) on my phone all the time. I use it to move files from folder to folder, create new folders, hide pictures (that I otherwise would not be able to do on the computer), etc... I couldn't imagine having a phone without one.
    Hiding pictures, just email them to yourself. It's what I do all the time. As for folders, I really don't see the necessity other then hiding your pictures.. which there are always alternatives. Which if you don't want people going through your email I'm sure you could easily find a application locker, and just lock up your gmail.

    Quote Originally Posted by mkr10001 View Post
    a usb thumb drive won't help me save files to my phone. I would love to (once again ) be able to download a zip file on my phone, unzip and listen to music inside it. Surely the point if a smartphone is to be able to do stuff you can do on a computer bur on your phone
    Why do you need to zip and unzip the files? Could easily just use Skydrive and download the songs you want and play them from there. I'm not sure if it's possible to play music and or use files right from Skydrive, but I have heard around the forums of people downloading and playing music from Skydrive. Complicating a rather simple task, I think. :X
  17. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    #17  
    in the Xbox LIVE HUB .... move the * GET MORE GAMES* to the top!!!

    i have tomany games and havign to scroll to *half page* kinda blows.
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

  18. mkr10001
    mkr10001's Avatar
    Guest
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by GhoulPhreak View Post

    Why do you need to zip and unzip the files? Could easily just use Skydrive and download the songs you want and play them from there. I'm not sure if it's possible to play music and or use files right from Skydrive, but I have heard around the forums of people downloading and playing music from Skydrive. Complicating a rather simple task, I think. :X
    no these aren't files I already have. If im away from my computer I'd like to be able to download a variety of files, zips being one of them. Sometimes music comes in a zip file and id like to be able to download and okay it. I don't think that's over implicating a thing, not is it a lot to ask of a smartphone
  19. InfectedPhreak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by mkr10001 View Post
    no these aren't files I already have. If im away from my computer I'd like to be able to download a variety of files, zips being one of them. Sometimes music comes in a zip file and id like to be able to download and okay it. I don't think that's over implicating a thing, not is it a lot to ask of a smartphone
    Oh, so you're talking about ripping something from like mediafire and having to deal with rar's and stuff. Then, you would need zip/unzip and file structure... so I can see your point.
  20. #20  
    I can't understand trying to do everything that you can on a computer, on a phone. For as seldomly as I need to download and open a .zip file, I can wait til I get to the laptop/desktop.
    The Start screen arrow must DIE!
    snowmutt likes this.
  21. InfectedPhreak's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    154 Posts
    Global Posts
    179 Global Posts
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Mazzenga View Post
    I can't understand trying to do everything that you can on a computer, on a phone. For as seldomly as I need to download and open a .zip file, I can wait til I get to the laptop/desktop.
    That's how I feel... A smart phone is a smart phone, at the end of the day it's a phone.
  22. mkr10001
    mkr10001's Avatar
    Guest
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Mazzenga View Post
    I can't understand trying to do everything that you can on a computer, on a phone. For as seldomly as I need to download and open a .zip file, I can wait til I get to the laptop/desktop.
    yeah that's fine that's your choice. Do you not understand that other people may want things in a phone that you don't necessarily need or want?????!!
  23. mkr10001
    mkr10001's Avatar
    Guest
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by GhoulPhreak View Post
    That's how I feel... A smart phone is a smart phone, at the end of the day it's a phone.
    SMARTphone. Considering I was unzipping on my old nokias 3/4 years ago.....its not as if what I'm asking is a brand new never done before inconceivable feature. If all you want in a phone is a phone then get yourself a 10 Samsung.


    Technoogy is meant to be going forward. You clearly don't understand what a smartphone is all about if you don't understand that to some extent they are here so you can do things on the go that you would usually need a pc for
    Speebs likes this.
  24. power5's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,208 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,447 Global Posts
    #24  
    Apple iPhone is so popular BECAUSE of its UI. Before iPhone you had win mobile 6 or something. Apple made phones usable at such a small size. I can barely hit the windows start button on my touch screen Dell. That is how win mobile was but on a much much smaller screen. Apple UI made it so icons were the size of finger tips. All of their input selections are the size of finger tips. That is what catapulted the iPhone success. There were no apps when it launched so saying apps are what made the iPhone what it is today is only partially true. A year after app store launch, which was 2 years after the phone launch, the app store only had 55,000 apps. So iPhone did not become so popular because its apps were in such demand. Same demand and dev involvement as windows phone practically.
    Last edited by power5; 12-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.
  25. Blacklac's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,464 Posts
    Global Posts
    4,014 Global Posts
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by KingCrimson View Post
    The file system thing is not legitimate as that ability does not exist on either iOS or non-rooted Android. The whole point of a mobile phone is ease of use. Fiddling around with the file system goes against that philosophy.

    Flash is no good. Even though my Kindle Fire comes with it, I tried it on a web site for streaming video and it was choppy and awful. Just not enough processing power on mobile devices to support Flash.

    Why should iOS developers bother with a non-existent platform? I know iOS developers making loads of money off that alone and they dislike Microsoft too.

    I've seen plenty of WP7 demos on Youtube, it is impressive but overall the ecosystem is lacking. Not just lack of quality apps, but lack of hardware accessories. Where are the docks?
    Regarding your Kindle and Flash. Its all about the OS and implementation. Considering the Blackberry Playbook uses the same hardware as the Kindle Fire, and it runs Flash very well (zero choppiness), I think that says a lot about Androids implementation.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions