Why is Microsoft taking forever for bug fixes?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I understand updating the OS and implementing new features takes time (I am a software developer so trust me....I know), but it appears to me that most of the common bugs (namely disappearing keyboard and TERRIBLE accuracy) are amongst all Windows Phone devices (I've had an Arrive and am now using a Radar and suffer from the exact same problems); this would cross out a reason for delay of bug fix updates due to different hardware (IMO) and really just result in software. Because Windows Phone was designed to be a seamless experience, regardless of the device, you would think Microsoft did this in an effort to make sure updates are handled properly and to speed up the update process (for both bug fixes and new OS upgrades).

I guess I was just expecting too much. I thought that Microsoft would come with bug fixes faster they took a good middle ground to have updates handled like Apple, while still offering options in different hardware. To me, it appears they're just saving bug fixes for each OS upgrade.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It's a fair complaint, and one I agree with. I presume, instead of fixing these bugs, they have decided to plough ahead with Tango & Apollo where they'll be addressed anyway.

We're in the perseverance club...

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea it's kind of annoying, especially considering the fact that I KNOW they have to have teams for different "sections" (where I work, our team is called Team Earth, and we do bug fixes/enhancements). I know they HAVE to have a bug fix team, so really I wonder what the bug fix team is doing. I know they have to work with the other teams to integrate their fixes and whatnot into the work of the other teams (a UI team for example), but they have stated they are aware of the bugs and practically know where they are; what's taking so long? Are they just chilling out and doing a fix here-or-there and just waiting for Tango? That's crazy if you ask me, especially considering how far behind Windows Phone is; it's like they're saying "well...we failed this year so lets just save ALL OUR GOODIES for the next release instead of trying to come out with a new release AND maintain the Windows Phone followers who ARE faithful and have shown support".

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
It seems that MS is not releasing small bug fix patches. Instead, they're probably preparing a large "update". Hopefully, they're using this time to rigorously test the fixes to make sure they don't wind up breaking more than they fix.

The keyboard problem, in my opinion, is embarrassing enough that it warrants immediate attention. Sadly, MS apparently disagrees.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
It seems that MS is not releasing small bug fix patches. Instead, they're probably preparing a large "update". Hopefully, they're using this time to rigorously test the fixes to make sure they don't wind up breaking more than they fix.

The keyboard problem, in my opinion, is embarrassing enough that it warrants immediate attention. Sadly, MS apparently disagrees.

Enlighten me, what is this keyboard bug?

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I have experienced far worse accuracy more so than the disappearing bug. I would like both fixed, but if I had to rank one above the other (IMHO) it's the accuracy. I couldn't make a mistake in NoDo if I TRIED, but with Mango it just sucks now =/

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... odd as I didn't notice the keyboard got worse with Mango. If anything better, but they maybe I'm more used to it now then a year ago. And I've never had the keyboard dissappear.

Hopefully Microsoft fixes them soon but I wouldn't be suprised if we have to wait till Tango in Feb or whenever. Certain bugs can take time, especially things like perceived or not perceived keyboard accuracy. If I feel mine is okay and they tweak it in your direction I could all of a sudden feel less accurate.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
It has started happening to me more, but I'm glad the disappearing keyboard at least has a work-around. In a perfect world, updates would be left and right, but IMHO, unless it's security or an issue that makes the device almost (if not fully) inoperable, I don't mind waiting for updates to be done right.

Hopefully it's being worked on and would be awesome if it came with the SMS patch they're working on:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-confirmed-be-working-sms-bug-fix

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
What's the work-around for the disappearing keyboard? It's happening to me more and more. It's not a big deal, just becoming more and more annoying.
It has started happening to me more, but I'm glad the disappearing keyboard at least has a work-around. In a perfect world, updates would be left and right, but IMHO, unless it's security or an issue that makes the device almost (if not fully) inoperable, I don't mind waiting for updates to be done right.

Hopefully it's being worked on and would be awesome if it came with the SMS patch they're working on:

http://www.windowscentral.com/microsoft-confirmed-be-working-sms-bug-fix

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Hmmm... odd as I didn't notice the keyboard got worse with Mango. If anything better, but they maybe I'm more used to it now then a year ago. And I've never had the keyboard dissappear.

Hopefully Microsoft fixes them soon but I wouldn't be suprised if we have to wait till Tango in Feb or whenever. Certain bugs can take time, especially things like perceived or not perceived keyboard accuracy. If I feel mine is okay and they tweak it in your direction I could all of a sudden feel less accurate.

I do agree with your point, but I'm coming off the fact that Microsoft themselves have admitted that they are aware of two bugs with the keyboard:

1. Disappearance
2. Accuracy

If they hadn't publicly stated they are aware of the issues then I wouldn't really try to mention them (as much) I guess because again, as a software developer, I get complaints sometimes about things that are usually just perceptive on the user end or a result of human error. This, however, has been complained about by multiple people to where Microsoft publicly acknowledged these issues and promised fixes.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
What's the work-around for the disappearing keyboard? It's happening to me more and more. It's not a big deal, just becoming more and more annoying.
Turning off background tasks. I turn them off and it doesn't happen.

Reason I wasn't experiencing it earlier was because I barely had any apps with that feature being used on.

Checked and saw about 8 apps using it. Photobucket being one.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Without background tasks you're better off just going back to NoDo and not having to deal with work arounds while having infinitely better keyboard accuracy.

The disappearing keyboard is a deal breaker. It's already been there for months. I can't wait until February for a fix especially if they roll the updates out like the others. You can end up going til march effort you got it. You dot even get months old updates on brand new phones when you plug them into Zune these days.

I am astounded that the Mango keyboard passed QA.

I used to use my HD7 to do all my typing. Mango shoved it into disuse with its keyboard issues. The soft keyboard was one of the redeeming factors of the platform and they literally shot it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I've had no issues with the keyboard accuracy of my HD7 (still far and away the best touchscreen keyboard I've ever used) but I do get the vanishing issue every now and then... Didn't have it before Mango.

Sent from my HD7 using Board Express

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Without background tasks you're better off just going back to NoDo and not having to deal with work arounds while having infinitely better keyboard accuracy.

The disappearing keyboard is a deal breaker. It's already been there for months. I can't wait until February for a fix especially if they roll the updates out like the others. You can end up going til march effort you got it. You dot even get months old updates on brand new phones when you plug them into Zune these days.

I am astounded that the Mango keyboard passed QA.

I used to use my HD7 to do all my typing. Mango shoved it into disuse with its keyboard issues. The soft keyboard was one of the redeeming factors of the platform and they literally shot it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Not true. Background tasks only stops the apps from doing certain things in the background. With photobucket, why does it need to do background tasks if I'm not uploading anything? Once you choose to upload, it can be turned back on, automatically.

Mango allows for fast-app switching. Only app I'll ever need to run in the background are music & navigation apps.

So going back to NoDo would not be the same as stopping background tasks... it's not stopping you from having them to switch to when using the fast-app switcher.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
i have never experienced the keyboard bug and it's very quick and accurate for me.

all in all, mango was released 9-27-11, it's only been 3 months. android 2.3.3 was released 2-9-11, 2.3.4 was released quickly there after (only had talk improvements), but 2.3.5 didn't come until mid july. 2.3.6 was in september and 2.3.7 only brought wallet.

3-5 months is about right for mobile os updates/bug fixes.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
i have never experienced the keyboard bug and it's very quick and accurate for me.

all in all, mango was released 9-27-11, it's only been 3 months. android 2.3.3 was released 2-9-11, 2.3.4 was released quickly there after (only had talk improvements), but 2.3.5 didn't come until mid july. 2.3.6 was in september and 2.3.7 only brought wallet.

3-5 months is about right for mobile os updates/bug fixes.
The keyboard is accurate for me as well, from the Focus, to the Titan and now the Focus S.

The only thing that I always seem to hit incorrectly is the return key (enter) vs. the backspace when I'm quickly attempting to delete something. I don't think it's me though.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Turning off background tasks. I turn them off and it doesn't happen.

Reason I wasn't experiencing it earlier was because I barely had any apps with that feature being used on.

Checked and saw about 8 apps using it. Photobucket being one.

I just checked I knw I had downloaded enough apps to get the alphabet dividers but I only have 4 background tasks on the screen and two of tehm are turned off and it shows that2 are are because I havent used them in over a week. And I must admit (I hope I am not inviting problems) I have not to my knbowledge experienced a disappearing keyboard. Maybe because I only have two backgropund task apps open

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte