Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

View Poll Results: How is your bill set up?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • I bought my WP full price and pay for my service month to month.

6 22.22%
  • I bought my WP at a reduced price and have a contract.

12 44.44%
  • I had no cost for my WP and am paying for it over the course of my service contract.

3 11.11%
  • I bought my WP full price, but received a cheaper plan with a contract.

1 3.70%
  • Other--please share!

5 18.52%
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By jalb

In another thread, lumic and I were talking about the ways that carriers subsidize phones through contracts or other ways to set up costs for smart phones and service.

Lumic said,

Quote Originally Posted by lumic View Post
    In Australia, pretty much no phones have an upfront cost. A high-end phone (Galaxy Nexus) will launch on a $59 plan over 24 months - $1416. An older phone (Desire Z / G2) might be on a $29 plan for 24 months - $696.
    While here in the US, we pay for both the phone and the service separately, but with a reduced phone price when we buy it with a contract.

What are ways that you've seen to purchase a phone and service?

Carrier: Verizon Wireless
    Phones: HTC 8X & HTC Trophy & Samsung Focus
    PC:Dell Studio XPS 1640

My app: Plant Guide

Spitfire 4.0, my HTC Imagio, rest in peace.

I imported my Samsung Focus, bought it on eBay at $260. Unlocked it for $20. I'm a prepaid customer: $5 in prepaid air time and $15 for unlimited prepaid data each month.

Quote Originally Posted by justop26 View Post
    I imported my Samsung Focus, bought it on eBay at $260. Unlocked it for $20. I'm a prepaid customer: $5 in prepaid air time and $15 for unlimited prepaid data each month.
    260+20+20*24=$760 for two year's use. I'm completely jealous. Even if I got a free phone, I'm paying around $1080 just for talk, text, and data in two years.

I got my Focus for free from Microsoft for developing apps! :)

Quote Originally Posted by justop26 View Post
    That would be awesome... I wish we had options like this in the US. This is the reason I'm so glad At&t&t never happened.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

Quote Originally Posted by Judge_Daniel View Post
    260+20+20*24=$760 for two year's use. I'm completely jealous. Even if I got a free phone, I'm paying around $1080 just for talk, text, and data in two years.
    On our family plan we pay $250/month for 4 $.01 TITANs on a 2 yr contract w/ AT&T.
    $250*12/4 = $750/yr each. We have the option to early upgrade every year.. Which we usually do and just agree to two more years. I love AT&T and don't plan on switching anyway.

Edit: with unlimited msging and unlimited mobile to any mobile in the US, its pretty much unlimited talk time with 2gb of data each.

Sent from my TITAN using Board Express

I bought my unlocked Trophy on Amazon for 160€.
    I have an unlimited Data Plan, unlimited texting and calls for 39,99€ each month.
    So after 2 years: 1120€ (1450$)

Sent from my 7 Trophy using Board Express
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    19,947 Global Posts
    Upgraded for free. I have one and the other $25 app card is on the way. Very satisfied with my deal.

WPCentral Mod | Retired Android Central Mod | CrackBerry Mod

A lot of you are making me feel better about the US prices. Maybe it isn't so bad, after all.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I have the penny Titan from Black Friday. On the one hand, I was really enjoying being off-contract with my Focus, but on the other hand, a penny.

Quote Originally Posted by jalb View Post
    I have the penny Titan from Black Friday. On the one hand, I was really enjoying being off-contract with my Focus, but on the other hand, a penny.
    Understandable, lol.

Global Posts
    2,409 Global Posts
    I bought my focus for 150.00 from another attorney friend who switches phones regularly and sells them on ebay ofr friends who want them. Put my sim in and was in business with my unltd data plan and family plan for minutes and messaging. My wife and daughter have iphones.
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Bought my radar NIB from eBay for $300, and doing no contract on tmobile 4G for $30 a month

here, in india we pay upfront, no carrier subsidy

so the Samsung Omnia W = $300

I'm on prepaid so 1gb 3g data + text etc. comes to $13 ;)

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Paid about $100 for my Focus with a 2-year contract. It's the only smartphone in my house. I have two other lines in the account. After corporate discounts, my monthly bill is about $135 for 1400 minutes with rollover, 200MB data plan on the Focus, family unlimited texting, and unlimited mobile-to-mobile.

Quote Originally Posted by CobaltDragon View Post
    Bought my radar NIB from eBay for $300, and doing no contract on tmobile 4G for $30 a month
    How did you pull this off? I tried to talk to different reps and the lowest I could get is $60.

17. cgk

Global Posts
    7,830 Global Posts
    Nokia gave me the phone for free and I have a rolling monthly contract for 10 a month (300 minutes, 3000 texts, 1gb of data).

Global Posts
    123 Global Posts
    How's everyone getting on such low-cost plans?

I got my HD7 new on ebay for $300 (+ $20 shipping). We have a family plan on T-Mo (2yrs), 2 lines ($40/line, unlimited data first 2GB of which is 4G then down shifts to 2G, 500 minutes voice, 2 x $8 for insurance, + some taxes). Total bill is about $100/month. So I'm paying $50/month for my phone. So, 300 + 50 * 24 = $1500.