32GB storage on a Mango phone?

RandomEngy

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I went down the list of Mango phones and not a single one had an SD card in its specs. Only the Focus S had mention of 32GB of internal memory, but from what I've read, they've only released the 16GB version. Is there any way of getting a snazzy new Mango phone with 32GB on it?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The Dell Venue Pro may have came with 32GB, but I am not sure. I didn't follow the Dell Venue line very close. A lot of people in the forums have asked about 32GB of storage, so there does seem to be a demand for that much storage.

masherro

Jan 1, 2012
Visit site
I may be an idiot but...

If a phone has 8GB on board and 25GB of cloud back-up, doesn't it then have 34 GB of total storage? If it does, then would a 32GB device then have 57GB total storage? I might have missed that when the WP rep did my sales training and may be misinforming my customers.

wolf1891

May 12, 2011
Visit site
The Dell Venue Pro may have came with 32GB, but I am not sure. I didn't follow the Dell Venue line very close. A lot of people in the forums have asked about 32GB of storage, so there does seem to be a demand for that much storage.

yeah, there was/is a 32GB version of the DVP. I don't think it was ever very widely pushed though (not that the DVP ever had much of a marketing push in any of the GB variants...) so I'm not sure if the 32GB version is still being sold. I wouldn't mind updating my 8GB DVP to a 32GB card if I could do a full backup and restore so as to not lose everything that I've got on here (messages, programs/saves/setting/etc...) but, as that isn't really any option I suppose I'll stick with what I've got and just keep purging/refreshing my onboard music collection.

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
The original Focus can be upgraded with a hack. I think there is a way to do with a few first generation devices by changing out the pre-installed SD card.

tbonenga

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
I may be an idiot but...

If a phone has 8GB on board and 25GB of cloud back-up, doesn't it then have 34 GB of total storage? If it does, then would a 32GB device then have 57GB total storage? I might have missed that when the WP rep did my sales training and may be misinforming my customers.

your misinforming them. Apps and games can't be stored in the cloud. I have a hd7 16GB and I'm always having to delete something because I'm outta space.

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
The Dell Venue Pro has a 32 GB Variant. It has 3 SKUs - 8/16/32 GB. Dell needs to make more phones, but with better cameras. They get it. The other OEMs... Well... Don't.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
To be fair OEMs look at what the average consumer wants and build phones based on that. The proportion of consumers wanting more than 16gb on their phone has to be insanely small and given that Microsoft is going after people getting their first smartphone 16gb is just plain unnecessary. Once the majority is asking for more than 16gb it will become more common place.

It's a fairly common misconception of the tech-minded community to think that what they want from a phone is what every one else does/should want. The vast majority of people don't get a mobile to listen to music or watch moves, they get it to make phone calls and send messages and maybe go on Facebook.

While I agree that more storage is going to attract a small number of customers to a phone, for the vast majority it doesn't make a whole lot of difference especially given the increased costs. How many people on the street are going to see and 8gb phone and think, ahh but if I spend ?100 more I can get 16gb, or ?200 more for 32gb.

dawrath

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
I am really looking forward to using WP7. Just order my phone on Monday. (Fedex dropped if off at my house today 20 mins after I left for work). But the 16-8 GB of storage almost pushed me into getting another Android or Iphone 4S 32 model. MP3 etc sound better to me then always streaming music.

No Pandora support and low memory storage might=me leaving the platform within the 30 days if I cannot handle the small storage.

hwalker84

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I am really looking forward to using WP7. Just order my phone on Monday. (Fedex dropped if off at my house today 20 mins after I left for work). But the 16-8 GB of storage almost pushed me into getting another Android or Iphone 4S 32 model. MP3 etc sound better to me then always streaming music.

No Pandora support and low memory storage might=me leaving the platform within the 30 days if I cannot handle the small storage.
Plenty of working third party Pandora apps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3