Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 33
Like Tree17Likes
  1. Jake_M's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,639 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    There's so many moments where I feel like Microsoft could have put an option for things opposed to just making it one way.

    An example of this is ability to turn off haptic feedback on front buttons.


    Or there's not ENOUGH settings for something.

    The brightness settings? Low, Medium, and High. I actually like a setting between Low and Medium but I can't really get that. Also the color themes...we should have a full color chooser. Stuff like that. Or vibrating times, like how long the phone vibrates when you get a text.
    jdd77 likes this.
  2. Speebs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I think pretty much everyone feels this way :)
  3. Jake_M's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    161 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,639 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    Android has so many settings, especially on Cyanogen mod.
  4. palandri's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    7,589 Posts
    Global Posts
    9,915 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    Windows Mobile 6.1 had more setting.

    I would prefer more setting, but I think Microsoft was trying to make it easier for less geeky people.
  5. S1NKING SH1PS's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    24 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    I actually like the simplicity of the settings on WP7. Every once in a while, there is a setting I'd like to be able to change, but overall, I like that things just kinda are the way they are. I've used three Android devices over the past few years (two phones and a tablet) and I'm just so over tweaking every little detail of the phone. That's why with Windows Phone, I just enjoy the device the way it was set up. I've had my Trophy for a while now, and I legitimately enjoy the phone for what it is.
  6. Speebs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    My frustration is this: for the last 15+ years, Microsoft has trained us to think in terms of "basic" users and "power" users. Many of use prefer MS products to, say, Apple products because we like the added flexibility. Now, with Metro and WP7 in general, MS seems to want to consider everyone a "basic" user. It would be great if you could switch from "basic" to "advanced" interfaces for those of us who MS has trained to be power users. You know, kind of like how Windows works!
    aubreyq and foosball like this.
  7. btbam91's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    902 Posts
    Global Posts
    912 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    I'm glad Samsung gave me the option to turn off the haptic feedback on the front buttons!

    Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express
  8. blehblehbleh's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    571 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    You know you kind of bring up an interesting point btbam91, perhaps microsoft left that "incomplete" so that OEMs could fill in the gap. For example, much like samsung, HTC has their "Attentive Phone" app that allows you to do things that their other range of devices do, e.g. flip the phone over to activate speaker. Or I believe there's a wireless provider in Europe that has its own colored theme.
  9. Judge_Daniel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    719 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    I was thinking the same thing (as the OP) just today. There are some missing settings that aren't even that advanced. I'm hoping that in Apollo there will be a Windows-esque way of looking at settings--having basic and advanced settings.
    Jake_M likes this.
  10. jfa1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,565 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,648 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    There aree some areas in settings that have an advanced butoon however the advanced settings dont seem tghat advanced!
    aubreyq and Jake_M like this.
  11. Major's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    447 Posts
    Global Posts
    652 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by S1NKING SH1PS View Post
    I actually like the simplicity of the settings on WP7. Every once in a while, there is a setting I'd like to be able to change, but overall, I like that things just kinda are the way they are. I've used three Android devices over the past few years (two phones and a tablet) and I'm just so over tweaking every little detail of the phone. That's why with Windows Phone, I just enjoy the device the way it was set up. I've had my Trophy for a while now, and I legitimately enjoy the phone for what it is.
    If you like the default settings, great. If you don't, it would be nice to have the ability to to adjust them. Just because you are given the option doesn't mean that your default setting enjoyment would be in any way hindered.
  12. Justin.TV312's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I feel the settings are enough at this point,maybe a custom color setting or the return of the sound enhancer is all that's needed. Anything else is just micro management of every single aspect of the phone which MS is trying to avoid.
  13. mprice86's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    302 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    I've certainly not felt like there's not enough settings yet.

    Having come from Android, I wanted to get far far away from settings, options, tweaks and all of that. I've changed the colour of my tiles a few times and I turn wifi/3G on and off that is literally the extent of my settings use since I set the phone up almost 2 months ago.

    It's one of the things I like so much about WP7; it doesn't need me to tell it how to look or behave at all times. Though obviously it helps that I like the default look and behaviour of the OS.
    Justin.TV312 likes this.
  14. monotok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    I feel the same way, it annoys me that it acts as though everyone is a basic user. There are loads of things missing.
    Bugged me so much I decided to purchase a Blackberry Bold 9900 because I wanted to compare and I actually prefer many things over my DVP.

    For example, I like the way you tap the top bar and list comes down with options to turn off all radio devices, wifi, NFC, bluetooth etc.

    You tap the bar under that and all your notifications are listed as well as all the near calendar entries, WP7 calendar tile is poor as it only shows one :p

    Sound profiles and the ability to have volume in media different to that of ringtone etc!

    The search is another thing, I like the bing search integration etc on WP7 but on the Blackberry you start typing and its searchs the calendar, contacts, texts, emails, bing, app world etc and then it lists with a little number on the icon how many things it found in that app.
    I would love WP7 to be able to search locally in messages etc.

    Also Bluetooth is poor compared to the BB, you can send files and then even make it act as a Bluetooth modem, while for me WP7 may as well not have bluetooth as it can be used as a headset only :(

    I know it sounds like im having a dig but those little things annoy me. I will sell the BB i think and keep my DVP because I want to see what Tango and Apollo bring, hoping they will add many more features like that :D

    By the time apollo comes out I can decide between the new Apollo phones and Blackberries new QNX.

    I hope they (Nokia) come out with a new phone with a portrait slider with only a 3.7inch screen or the BB Bold type shape as I love the keyboard!!!
  15. Justin.TV312's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by monotok View Post
    I feel the same way, it annoys me that it acts as though everyone is a basic user. There are loads of things missing.
    Bugged me so much I decided to purchase a Blackberry Bold 9900 because I wanted to compare and I actually prefer many things over my DVP.

    For example, I like the way you tap the top bar and list comes down with options to turn off all radio devices, wifi, NFC, bluetooth etc.

    You tap the bar under that and all your notifications are listed as well as all the near calendar entries, WP7 calendar tile is poor as it only shows one :p

    Sound profiles and the ability to have volume in media different to that of ringtone etc!

    The search is another thing, I like the bing search integration etc on WP7 but on the Blackberry you start typing and its searchs the calendar, contacts, texts, emails, bing, app world etc and then it lists with a little number on the icon how many things it found in that app.
    I would love WP7 to be able to search locally in messages etc.

    Also Bluetooth is poor compared to the BB, you can send files and then even make it act as a Bluetooth modem, while for me WP7 may as well not have bluetooth as it can be used as a headset only :(

    I know it sounds like im having a dig but those little things annoy me. I will sell the BB i think and keep my DVP because I want to see what Tango and Apollo bring, hoping they will add many more features like that :D

    By the time apollo comes out I can decide between the new Apollo phones and Blackberries new QNX.

    I hope they (Nokia) come out with a new phone with a portrait slider with only a 3.7inch screen or the BB Bold type shape as I love the keyboard!!!
    Crackberry.com is this way. |
    |
    |
    V
  16. monotok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin.TV312 View Post
    Crackberry.com is this way. |
    |
    |
    V
    I know and I am a member, However I still use Windows Phone, each has its own weakness which many people know.
    I am sticking to WP as i want a modern OS as BB seem a bit outdated!

    However there are weaknesses to the OS and I'm not going to pretend they are not there! Microsoft knows it needs to improve and it is a young OS compared to BB which is like 10 years old.

    Microsoft probably put all the stuff in that would make it sell aka unique things like the People hub etc but I'm hoping they will now address the little things (:
    Speebs, Judge_Daniel and aubreyq like this.
  17. sinister1's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    23 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    WP7 Sucks compared to WM in my personal oppinion. How do you call this an advanced operating system when you can't do half the stuff you use to be able to do on an OS from like 5 years ago? Sure it is pretty and doesn't freez up as much and there are more apps but give me a break why can't I use Bluetooth to transfer files when that opption has been around since like 1994 or something like that? Even cheap *** Cricket and Boost Mobile phones running gaydroid can do that. MS needs to take their freaking heads out of the clould and pay attention what people want instead of telling them what they can't do.
  18. Justin.TV312's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    114 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by sinister1 View Post
    WP7 Sucks compared to WM in my personal oppinion. How do you call this an advanced operating system when you can't do half the stuff you use to be able to do on an OS from like 5 years ago? Sure it is pretty and doesn't freez up as much and there are more apps but give me a break why can't I use Bluetooth to transfer files when that opption has been around since like 1994 or something like that? Even cheap *** Cricket and Boost Mobile phones running gaydroid can do that. MS needs to take their freaking heads out of the clould and pay attention what people want instead of telling them what they can't do.

    So WP7 sucks because one can't send files through Bluetooth? Why doesn't apple get this same treatment too because they can't do that either? Give me a break troll
    aubreyq likes this.
  19. Duvi's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,035 Posts
    Global Posts
    20,036 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    I don't think they're missing, instead, I think they're just being slowly rolled in.

    There are options I'd like, but I think it's a much smarter move to gradually get them added than to throw all of them in at once.
    aubreyq likes this.
  20. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Apollo
    redeyss likes this.
  21. monotok's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    Apollo
    I hope!
  22. martin_strahilovski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    Windows Mobile 6.1 had more setting.

    I would prefer more setting, but I think Microsoft was trying to make it easier for less geeky people.
    Well they've build WP7 from scratch, so no settings like the WM 6.1. We can post on the MS site or forum for more settings to be given to the ordinary user, but the whole point of using Metro is because is simple and intuitive!
  23. Speebs's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    106 Posts
    Global Posts
    403 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by martin_strahilovski View Post
    Well they've build WP7 from scratch, so no settings like the WM 6.1. We can post on the MS site or forum for more settings to be given to the ordinary user, but the whole point of using Metro is because is simple and intuitive!
    Nobody will be forced to use any particular feature.. many of us just want the OPTION to use the things we are used to. MS is not Apple and they need to appeal to the broadest audience possible- this includes tech nerds and control freaks.
    aubreyq likes this.
  24. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by monotok View Post
    I hope!
    these are all minor changes that would improve the OS by 100% and would take NO TIME for MS to implement..


    i think Apollo will determine how much MS really Listen to us.

    I think Apollo will make or break WP at this point. we saw allot from MANGO but half the stuff int even being taken advantage of.


    so Apollo better bring it!!
  25. martin_strahilovski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    263 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by Speebs View Post
    Nobody will be forced to use any particular feature.. many of us just want the OPTION to use the things we are used to. MS is not Apple and they need to appeal to the broadest audience possible- this includes tech nerds and control freaks.
    Well i'm geek so i want to have settings for everything that i can think off, but some ordinary middle age man maybe don't want to know how to enable tethering or else. Yes, i am for the option to choose are you simple or advanced user. That would be nice, but MS still didn't say what will be included in Apollo...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

";