Keep Titan or return and wait for Nokia

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Nokia's press conference is on Monday. My return deadline for my Titan is Saturday. I'm really torn on if I should return my Titan or not.

My reasons for wanting a Nokia are: The Titan is too large for me and I would prefer a 4.3" or smaller screen, Titan call quality issues, Nokia's Design, and Nokia Apps. The Nokia apps are the #1 reason I think. I really want turn by turn Nav, which is like $50, and I am on the verge of signing up for Spotify or Rdio, either of which would be $9.99 a month cause I listen to so much music at work (don't want Zune Pass cause if I am paying I want it to work on my iPod Touch as well, but for free I'm willing to deal with my iPod not using the same subscription service).

My reasons for wanting to keep my Titan: I like the metal construction and I only paid a penny for the device. I got it off Amazon and their return policy is that you have 30 days from the delivery date to return it. Mine was delivered the 9th of December, 30 days after that is the 7th of January.

What would you do? The Nokia would cost me $200 (possibly more) up front on contract but would save me $290 over the course of that contract ($9.99 a month Spotify for 24 months and $50 navigation app).

TMavC5

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
Keep it and wait for second wave of Apollo devices to hit the shelves around December 2012.

Sent from my {HTC Titan} using Board Express

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Well you can install Nokia Drive on your Titan if you dev unlock it. Or buy Navigon, which is better than Nokia Drive, for $29.

And are we sure the Nokia phones sold here in the US will have Nokia Music? I thought Nokia only had deals with EU labels for their music service and wouldn't be bringing it to the states.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Seems like you really want the Nokia device... so return it!

I'm keeping my Focus S and will get the 900 or whatever the next high end Nokia that hits AT&T.

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
Keep it and wait for second wave of Apollo devices to hit the shelves around December 2012.

Sent from my {HTC Titan} using Board Express

If I do that I'll have to either add a second line of service onto my account to get the subsidized price or by the $600 those bad boys will (most likely) cost off contract. Niether is ideal, although having an upgrade available every 12 months is appealing.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
If you are having issues with the Titan such as voice quality problems, return it. Otherwise, like TMavC5 says, hold on to it and wait for the next cycle of Nokia devices with Apollo baked in.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Why not return it and if the Nokia doesn't blow your socks off, take it back :D.

Edit: The build quality is the reason I don't like HTC that much, their phone are a lot of metal so that makes them heavy and very slippery, guarantying that your phone will fall sooner or later and the weight making it sure the screen will break.

Last edited:

kinslayer

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Return it and wait for the Nokia. If you haven't see a Nokia Lumia in person, you will be very sad when the 900 comes out. They are downright gorgeous. Titan is nice compared to other phones out now, but does not even come close to how sexy Nokia phones are. Whole different level.

Sent from my Nokia Lumia 800 using Board Express

bigkevbosky

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
Nokia's press conference is on Monday. My return deadline for my Titan is Saturday. I'm really torn on if I should return my Titan or not.

My reasons for wanting a Nokia are: The Titan is too large for me and I would prefer a 4.3" or smaller screen, Titan call quality issues, Nokia's Design, and Nokia Apps. The Nokia apps are the #1 reason I think. I really want turn by turn Nav, which is like $50, and I am on the verge of signing up for Spotify or Rdio, either of which would be $9.99 a month cause I listen to so much music at work (don't want Zune Pass cause if I am paying I want it to work on my iPod Touch as well, but for free I'm willing to deal with my iPod not using the same subscription service).

My reasons for wanting to keep my Titan: I like the metal construction and I only paid a penny for the device. I got it off Amazon and their return policy is that you have 30 days from the delivery date to return it. Mine was delivered the 9th of December, 30 days after that is the 7th of January.

What would you do? The Nokia would cost me $200 (possibly more) up front on contract but would save me $290 over the course of that contract ($9.99 a month Spotify for 24 months and $50 navigation app).

If you only paid a penny for it, you could sell it and get roughly $300 - $400 on ebay. If you add in the $200 you were planning on spending on contract, you'd have roughly $500 - $600 to buy the Nokia phone off contract.

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site

I am in the same boat. I purchased my original Titan (as an $79 upgrade) on Dec 10 but the ship date was Dec 13 which is what AT&T starts the clock running. I had the phone in hand on Dec 15th. Anyway that phone worked great for a couple days then it started with the random reboot/power cycling. Did a reset on the device and I eventually again had the same result. Week and half ago I returned it ask for another Titan. Same started to happen with the random power cycling. Tried reseating the Sim card, Not installing any apps after reset, Uninstalling all HTC apps including HTC Hub. No go because it just power cycled last night. This Time I called HTC last night but they offered very little help and in fact the phone call cut off or they hung up on me I dont know. The first person I talked to she took my infomation and didn't have any solution suggested that I talk to Warrenty repair maybe they have Ideas. I talked to that lady and the idea of a battery replacement came up but then the call went silent, maybe she put me on hold I waited for couple mins. It was 8pm at this point I just giving up. Today I got a automated survey call this morning about how my experience was with HTC and rated them 2's across the board.
I could "live" with the voice quality issue on this phone but not the reboot/powercycle and you don't hangup on your customers.
Anyway back to my story. So I have to wait till my original Titan is recieved and processed at Amazon Wireless so I can do the next move and it looks like it won't be till Friday at this point. My cut off is Jan 12th. It seems now the prices of phones on Amazon are double what I pay for on Dec 10.
I like what I been reading about the Nokia Lumia 900 and March 18 is not that far off. And now there is another os called Apollo what is that about? They just came with Mango.. Would I be able to update the OS on the Titan if I keep it?
But that nice 4.7 inch screen is so nice. I actually been watching Netflix in bed haha. I dont think the phone is bulky at all and the ally case is not slippery but I have a decent case for it anyway.
My other option is to reverse my upgrade and just go back to my Nokia 5800 Navigation Edition.
I am too so torn with what to do. Please keep this thread going.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
If you're getting call quality issues, then it would make sense to return it.

My Titan has been fine for me. Though I will admit that reception isn't the greatest at my house. Then again, my Focus had reception problems there too. I live in a small valley surrounded on 3 sides by mountains.

You're the only one that really knows if you're in the position to spend $200 on a Nokia device as opposed to the $0.01 you paid for the Titan. If you really do plan to use map and music services, I can see how the Nokia could save you money in the long run.

One thing to keep in mind though is that I would be willing to bet that we'll be seeing WP8 devices at the end of the year. So if you buy a new Nokia in March or April, then that's 3 or 4 extra months that you're on contract and can't get a shiny new WP8 handset.

Kdawg1989

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
I am also in the same boat as I got my titan for a penny as well.. My thinking is keep it for a year or so until we see Apollo and get dual core support and higher rez support and 'superphones' and then sell my titan which will pay for my ETF on the line the fact that we got the titan for a penny makes it easy to sell in a year and cover any loss. The only real possible advantage I see coming from the new Nokia phones is LTE support which I am sure I won't see in my area for at least a year..

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

neftv

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I am also in the same boat as I got my titan for a penny as well.. My thinking is keep it for a year or so until we see Apollo and get dual core support and higher rez support and 'superphones' and then sell my titan which will pay for my ETF on the line the fact that we got the titan for a penny makes it easy to sell in a year and cover any loss. The only real possible advantage I see coming from the new Nokia phones is LTE support which I am sure I won't see in my area for at least a year..

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express
I am struggling with that too that LTE is not in the Philadelphia Metro area for probably another year so it don't make sense to pay for a phone that has it that won't take advantage of it for atleast a year and by then will have other devices.
I am thinking either stick with Titan for two years so the reboots happen every 12-18 hours, or get a Motorola Atrix II or go back to my Nokia 5800 and not be able to do some of the things I can do on the Titan. I don't know about Samsung it interesting when you do a hard reboot on the Titan that the "bios" screen shows something Samsung there.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3