'one account, multiple email addresses'

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
In my current set-up, I have one gmail account and that collects on behalf of about five different domains I own or are associated with - so if I get an email for account A, then gmail replies as if it is that email address - With me so far?

When I had an android device, the gmail app would do the same thing, it would reply as if it is each individual account. However, as far as I can tell, however you set up email, it replies for all my accounts as the actual gmail account which isn't really acceptable to me.

Leaving aside the miracle that an actual gmail app is developed for WP7 - what are my options - will either hotmail or office365 do what I want?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I've got a similar situation. Not with 5 domains, but with 1, plus a yahoo account etc.. Can't find a solution either. I was able to upgrade my own domail email account and actually use that inbox directly now. But I've not been able to somehow enter an alternative email address like you can do in Gmail

Now, I have a Nokai N8 (Symbian Anna currently, waiting for Belle), and a BlackBerry Torch 9810 (OS7), and both let me set up an email address that it will send from, but neither can choose from the 3 or 4 addresses.

If you actually have different inboxes for the different accounts, you can set up seperate IMAP accounts for each, like I did, and then link the accounts so that they all arrive in one inbox. Then, when you reply to an email, you'll reply using the email address it was sent to. That might be a workaround.

But I'm still looking for a real solution myself still....

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
If you actually have different inboxes for the different accounts, you can set up seperate IMAP accounts for each, like I did, and then link the accounts so that they all arrive in one inbox. Then, when you reply to an email, you'll reply using the email address it was sent to. That might be a workaround.

yeah I thought of that but then I have to change how I use gmail and really I want my phone to be following my way of working not my way of working to follow the phone (if you follow me) because if in six months I go back to android, then I'll have to change it back again....

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
yeah I thought of that but then I have to change how I use gmail and really I want my phone to be following my way of working not my way of working to follow the phone (if you follow me) because if in six months I go back to android, then I'll have to change it back again....

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Annoying that no GMail mailbox option can really cover the options GMail itself can offer.

Interesting that Android can do that, but I suppose it's not such a surprise, as it's Google...

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I get where you're coming from. Annoying that no GMail mailbox option can really cover the options GMail itself can offer.

Interesting that Android can do that, but I suppose it's not such a surprise, as it's Google...

yep - I wonder if the gmail app for iOS has this option? Anyway, the ideal (but unlikely to happen) solution is that a gmail app eventually turns up....

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
You can use gmail to always use a "send as" address, but it's a fixed address, not what you want. Unless you have an iOS device it's also a bit of a hack to set up.

I'm not aware of anything with Hotmail that would do what you want. Only the linked inbox option that's already been mentioned.

A proper "send as" feature would be nice. Of course you could always torture yourself and use the gmail mobile website, but scooping your eyes out with a teaspoon would be preferable.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
You can use gmail to always use a "send as" address, but it's a fixed address, not what you want. Unless you have an iOS device it's also a bit of a hack to set up.

I'm not aware of anything with Hotmail that would do what you want. Only the linked inbox option that's already been mentioned.

A proper "send as" feature would be nice. Of course you could always torture yourself and use the gmail mobile website, but scooping your eyes out with a teaspoon would be preferable.

I see that setting on the gmail site - if I set it as that, would gmail always them answer (from my phone) from that specific address?

Edit: No just tried it off my phone, still says it's from the gmail account.

Last edited:

TGBmark1234

Nov 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're using a desktop browser to get there, then the setting won't affect mails sent from your phone, only when sent from a browser.

To get to the setting that affects mails sent from your phone you either need to use an iOS browser, or fake it by changing the user agent string and also killing javascript. Like I said, a bit hacky, but it does work. Who knows why Google make this so difficult?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Hum.. I've been looking at swapping over to office365 to get this functionality but that looks awfully complex for my needs.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes