So...since it looks like carriers have the power to pass on updates....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone taken the plunge and installed 8107 manually. The way people are saying the keyboard accuracy is back and the disappearing problem is gone, I don't want to wait for this update. I have an HTC Radar btw.

Its sad that Microsoft has let Windows Phone go the Android route by giving carriers update power; it was the main reason I switched to Windows Phone. Its one thing if they were known and the platform was popular and selling well, but it looks like they're abandoning the ones who gave them the little market share they DO have by caving into carriers and trusting them.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Theres a thread over at xda-developers.com about it. Remember you do so at risk of bricking your phone its your risk and responsibility.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I was really wanting to do it, but it sounds like there is a higher chance of having problems than other operating systems like Android because it's not open source. I was really looking for feedback of those who had done it (on Tmobile in particular).

It just seems like we aren't gonna get any updates until the next big one comes (which is making me consider iOS now).

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I actually made a post about this last night. Since I'm on Verizon and have very little faith that they will release the last two updates, I am really, really wanting to do it myself. However, Windows Phones aren't like my old Windows Mobile phone, where it is (nearly) impossible to brick your phone.

Maybe one day soon I will get so frustrated with the disappearing keyboard that I will do it out of anger, though.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Just another reason it seems will turn some off of wp. They were hyping up the updates and now once again the carriers crack the whip and determine which phones get which updates.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yea...I hate to say it but I'm considering iOS now. The only way I will, however, is if I can snag one of Craigslist that works on Tmobile 3G. Then again, I have an iPod touch 4g so idk. I know that iOS 5.0.1 sucks and makes iOS devices lag worse than Android and Windows Mobile combined, but at least an update will come out and COME to the device instead wait to be approved for a system wide issue.

If a video is posted on how to do it without bricking then I might do it. I also forgot that T-Mobile isn't as much against windows phone as other carriers, so I might luck out. All I know is....that keyboard (accuracy and disappearance) are really the gripes I have with my phone. To not get it fixed because of them handing their balls over to carriers out of fear that "carriers won't support Windows Phone" or w/e lame excuse for this mess is dumb; NEWS FLASH....CARRIERS ARE ALREADY AGAINST WINDOWS PHONE. Its not like carriers would lose sleep if they lost control of the update process because they don't see Windows Phone as being profitable anyway..

Last edited:

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I cant imagine MS making this decision unless they were put under a lot if pressure by carriers. In a "Do this or we won't sell your phones." kind of way.

Carriers suck.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Yea...I hate to say it but I'm considering iOS now. The only way I will, however, is if I can snag one of Craigslist that works on Tmobile 3G. Then again, I have an iPod touch 4g so idk. I know that iOS 5.0.1 sucks and makes iOS devices lag worse than Android and Windows Mobile combined, but at least an update will come out and COME to the device instead wait to be approved for a system wide issue.

If a video is posted on how to do it without bricking then I might do it. I also forgot that T-Mobile isn't as much against windows phone as other carriers, so I might luck out. All I know is....that keyboard (accuracy and disappearance) are really the gripes I have with my phone. To not get it fixed because of them handing their balls over to carriers out of fear that "carriers won't support Windows Phone" or w/e lame excuse for this mess is dumb; NEWS FLASH....CARRIERS ARE ALREADY AGAINST WINDOWS PHONE. Its not like carriers would lose sleep if they lost control of the update process because they don't see Windows Phone as being profitable anyway..

I had an iphone 4&4s with ios 5 and they did not lag nor do the others i know with ios 5 on their 3gs.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I cant imagine MS making this decision unless they were put under a lot if pressure by carriers. In a "Do this or we won't sell your phones." kind of way.

Carriers suck.

I didn't think that was allowed. If they sign a contract with them then they have to sell the phones. Perhaps they won't advertise it or w/e (which is already the case) but then Microsoft could kinda handle that themselves....it is their OS after all....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I had an iphone 4&4s with ios 5 and they did not lag nor do the others i know with ios 5 on their 3gs.

I have iOS 5.0.1 on my 4th Gen iPod Touch and it has made my device so slow that I don't even pick it up anymore. I've tried hard resets, restoring, re-installing....nothing works and its just as slow everytime to the point of not having that "iOS experience"...making it useless outside of easily navigating to my music...

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I have iOS 5.0.1 on my 4th Gen iPod Touch and it has made my device so slow that I don't even pick it up anymore. I've tried hard resets, restoring, re-installing....nothing works and its just as slow everytime to the point of not having that "iOS experience"...making it useless outside of easily navigating to my music...

I agree. While my iPhone 4S (personal line) is fluid fast, my old iPod touch 4th gen is nearly unusable.

Edit; ios5 on the 3GS was cut down version, I thought? I dunno. Maybe it was a bad patch (I don't remember 5.0 being as bad on the old iPod touch), lol.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I agree. While my iPhone 4S (personal line) is fluid fast, my old iPod touch 4th gen is nearly unusable.

Edit; ios5 on the 3GS was cut down version, I thought? I dunno. Maybe it was a bad patch (I don't remember 5.0 being as bad on the old iPod touch), lol.

Whatever it is/was...I wish they would fix it. Here we see Apple isn't the greatest with updates either, as there are huge Apple support threads stating how bad iOS 5.0 and 5.0.1 are, yet if you go to an Apple store they simply hard reset your device and shoo you along.

I know the grass isn't greener on the other side, as I have a device for each OS (minus BlackBerry). However, Microsoft really needs to take a step back and actually look and listen to the only community they have. Its obvious they read the blogs, forums, etc, so why don't they actually listen to us (you know...the ONLY REAL people who have given them the market share they DO have....and I mean the ONLY people). I have yet to see another Windows Phone on the street other than mine, and I live in a decently sized city. On top of that, my co worker and I are the only Windows Phone users in our workplace, which is a decently sized small company.

toyotast165

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
why would the carriers want to fix the keyboard issue? Takes 5 pulls of a website just to post a message. It could have taken one by this way we use 5times the data....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
why would the carriers want to fix the keyboard issue? Takes 5 pulls of a website just to post a message. It could have taken one by this way we use 5times the data....

I think once the page has loaded to the point of being able to type in fields and stuff that the data has already been transferred. The amount of times the keyboard disappears and having to start over to retype doesn't effect your data usage (unless it has an ongoing plug in like flash or something that would require constant data pulling and refreshing or some AJAX type stuff. In other words, the only time your data is being used (in IE anyway) is when you see the load bar moving at the bottom or the URL bar...I BELIEVE

jeremyshaw

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
I think once the page has loaded to the point of being able to type in fields and stuff that the data has already been transferred. The amount of times the keyboard disappears and having to start over to retype doesn't effect your data usage (unless it has an ongoing plug in like flash or something that would require constant data pulling and refreshing or some AJAX type stuff. In other words, the only time your data is being used (in IE anyway) is when you see the load bar moving at the bottom or the URL bar...I BELIEVE

Yes, however the kb issue was so bad, I've taken to using my iPhone as my primary phone for about everything, despite having a Titan on the work line. Even typing in board express is a chore.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Yes, however the kb issue was so bad, I've taken to using my iPhone as my primary phone for about everything, despite having a Titan on the work line. Even typing in board express is a chore.

I agree 100%. I was speaking on the person saying that the keyboard issue is causing a spike in data usage, when in fact it won't. I do agree, and it was the whole reason I got an iPod Touch...to satisfy my "urge" of trying something else. Because I get free tethering on my Radar through T-Mobile, the iPod touch is everything short of an iPhone because it lacks an phone radio. However, like I said, that got ruined due to iOS 5.0.1.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Here's MS's latest statement about the update process from a recently posted article over at WMPoweruser.com Microsoft reassures WP7 users–Nothing has changed regarding updates | WMPoweruser

Hopefully this means that ATT and all other US carriers who passed on the 7740 update will now be bringing out 8107 along with the 7740 update. Hopefully it wont take long to test, but with where's my update page going away will it be harder to keep up with progress? Hopefully not!

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Here's MS's latest statement about the update process from a recently posted article over at WMPoweruser.com Microsoft reassures WP7 users–Nothing has changed regarding updates | WMPoweruser

Hopefully this means that ATT and all other US carriers who passed on the 7740 update will now be bringing out 8107 along with the 7740 update. Hopefully it wont take long to test, but with where's my update page going away will it be harder to keep up with progress? Hopefully not!

This is what I'm wondering. If all is the same, then we should be getting 8107 rolled up with 7740. My guess is that we'll get neither until Tango1, even though we're supposed to get every other update.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3