Are windows Tango and Apollo even a real thing?

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
There was nothing at this CES. I have the feeling that Microsoft might kill the platform, I'm uneasy.

They have to bide their time. i mean they announced new devices from nokia and htc with lte support so I would assume there will at least be an update sometime soon for lte capabilites.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I hope that's true, the other two keynotes where very different from this one. And I mean everyone was interested in Windows Phone this year, it had a good buzz going around.

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
I think they just want to ride the buzz for a bit before announcing Tango. Remember Tango isn't going to be as impressive as Mango so it makes sense to not make a huge deal about it.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
If they weren't real then Microsoft wouldn't have wasted time creating websites and apps to get feature suggestions for the next release. They also wouldn't have wasted 20 minutes of their CES conference promoting WP7. They also wouldn't be investing upwards of for marketing $200 million with Nokia in the US alone.

So yes, there is no reason to feel uneasy

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
If they weren't real then Microsoft wouldn't have wasted time creating websites and apps to get feature suggestions for the next release. They also wouldn't have wasted 20 minutes of their CES conference promoting WP7. They also wouldn't be investing upwards of for marketing $200 million with Nokia in the US alone.

So yes, there is no reason to feel uneasy

This.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Windows mobile has been around for a while. I've had 5.0, 6.0 and 6.1. It's not going away, plus with the money they are investing in advertising the Nokia line in the states.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
is tango supposed to be offering any new features? I was under the impression it was aimed at lower end devices.

That said I wish they would bring out something with a few of the items that really separate it from the big boys, ie notifications, etc. They are really close, getting some really good exposure, and I would hate to lose that momentum.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Tango might not affect us at all.

And Apollo may not hit until late this year. So CES would be a little soon to talk about it.

TheDoros

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly why this will be Microsoft's last showing at CES, product launches don't coincide with the show.

Plus there have been showings of WP8 tablets. So I'm sure plans are in the pipeline.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
First, Microsoft announced at CES LTE support which is huge for U.S. carriers.

Second, Microsoft had always announced the next version of Windows Phone at Mobile World Conference. Isn't this pretty much well known fact?

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
First, Microsoft announced at CES LTE support which is huge for U.S. carriers.

Second, Microsoft had always announced the next version of Windows Phone at Mobile World Conference. Isn't this pretty much well known fact?

Oooh!! I got the places confused. Mobile World was the place when they announced the Nokia stuff and all those mango features right?

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Oooh!! I got the places confused. Mobile World was the place when they announced the Nokia stuff and all those mango features right?
Correct. You must've been thinking Mobile World Congress (MWC) all along. It's held in Barcelona, Spain every February. It's all about phones, so expect new information as to what's coming for the OS. Like the other poster said, CES is not a good platform to reveal phone info with MWC happening a month later. Gotta save the good stuff for MWC.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
"Kill the platform"?? Steady on there!! Be chilled :)D), MS aren't killing anything off right now or even in the distant future. MS and Nokia currently totally committed to Metro UI and Windows Phone.

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
So.... my friend just came back from interning with Intel last summer and fall. He got to play with Windows Phone 8 Apollo and Windows 8. It is very real!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i could of told you about CES not showing off TANGO/apollo

not due for an other 5monthts + , wait till the next big event.

same thing with other Phones, maybe Samsung dint get the new WP ready on time for CES doesn't mean we wont get any.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3