People like Windows Phone

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I've seen a few threads over the past few days that were all basically "If you couldn't use what you have now, what phone OS would you switch to?" and to my surprise and delight, the overwhelming answer is Windows Phone.

If you couldn't use iPhone anymore, what smartphone OS would you use? - MacRumors Forums
[Weekend Poll] If Android Ceased To Exist, What OS Would Your Next Device Be?
Hypothetical Poll Results : Android

As someone soon to adopt Windows Phone I'm glad to see it getting so much praise from both Apple and Android camps (not that internet polls are worth anything, I just thought it was a nice pattern and one the WPCentral community would like to see).

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It is interesting to see.

Though I imagine that part of the reason is because both camps hate each other and wouldn't pick their most hated opponent.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Almost forgot
Your phone OS is no longer Available - what do you get next time round | The Verge Forums

It is interesting to see.

Though I imagine that part of the reason is because both camps hate each other and wouldn't pick their most hated opponent.

That thought crossed my mind too, but many explain their reasoning as to why and I think a lot of people are genuinely impressed with what MSFT has done. And also possibly that they are bored of the current platforms and want to try something new.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
True. I don't think they pick WP only because of their hate of their main competitor. But it may help them see the good in WP while they only see the bad in their main rival.

M

mykllee

I feel bad for my wife. She's in (was in) the Iphone camp, but after playing with my S on and off, she grudgingly admits if she wasn't past her 30 days she would switch. My daughter though refuses to touch my phone despite my best efforts. She's convinced there is nothing that could top her iphone. Maybe someday!

jdevenberg

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I have always said windows phone takes the best of both the iOS and android Platforms and blends them. It has hardware choice, widgets (in the form of live tiles), and offers some degree of custimization (all Of which are android strengths). But it still has a simple UI, a curated app store (not as heavy handed as apple though), and smooth, universal updates like the iPhone. Then it throws in a few cool things only found in wp, like a unified UI through most apps, hubs, social intergration, and a unique look. That is why I feel it is the best mobile OS

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
Some of these comments really make me smile. Witness:

This guy is hopeless. His idea of power user is cramming more icons onto his desktop. I actually stopped doing that when I begin using Win 7 on the PC, sort of a natural, unsolicited prelude to WP7.

Someone should tell him that a desktop full of icons might have been cool in Windows 95, in 1996...

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Some of these comments really make me smile. Witness:

This guy is hopeless. His idea of power user is cramming more icons onto his desktop. I actually stopped doing that when I begin using Win 7 on the PC, sort of a natural, unsolicited prelude to WP7.

Someone should tell him that a desktop full of icons might have been cool in Windows 95, in 1996...
Guy's a complete idiot. :lol: If he wants to jam 48 icons into his screen so be it.

Never mind a reply he received:
I can't believe so many saying they would switch to WP! MS are blocking other OS's from being installed on their tablets and want to do the same on desktops, no way would I go with WP! I went with other as if Android went, another Linux based phone would take it's place, maybe Ubuntu Mobile would have more of a chance!

Rolling my eyes into oblivion atm.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
Guy's a complete idiot. :lol: If he wants to jam 48 icons into his screen so be it.

Never mind a reply he received:

Rolling my eyes into oblivion atm.

Haha I saw that post, I really made me laught. There are a few golden responses in there from people who really have no clue what they are talking about.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I have to think Blackberry users would also creep to WP, if they had to choose. 1. They tend to have the hatred for iOS and Android. lol. 2. That WP $100 challenge proves WP is very efficient, which BB users claim Blackberry's are.

Just my 2cents.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
The marketshare is your real answer. Yes people like WP but ppl still prefer iOS, Android and BB.

Here's a suggestion for Microsoft. Lower the cost of apps and produce more free, high quality apps. They have tons of apps out but they don't have nearly as many good free ones as iOS and Android. BB is also starting to play catch up now so they need to listen to consumers more. That's what Apple and Google do and its gotten them far.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Market share right now is largely a result of most people not even really knowing what Windows Phone is. So I think that's a pretty bad indicator about it's future potential after a big marketing push.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Market share right now is largely a result of most people not even really knowing what Windows Phone is. So I think that's a pretty bad indicator about it's future potential after a big marketing push.

Well true. But then again just because someone likes it doesn't mean they'll buy it.

I just hope Steve Balmer will read this post and hopefully it'll have some sort of affect on WP's marketing.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Well it seems like the draw to WP for most people is the smoothness and beauty of the os. Those are definitely good things to draw people in, but the overall ease and functionality of WP is what will keep people.
I love that WP just works for me. I like android a lot and will probably use it from time to time, but I will always come back to WP for its stability and overall awesomeness :)

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
WP is well reviewed, well loved by users, and is slowly adding enough features and options to be talked about with the 2 big boys, and even ahead of Blackberry. All that is missing is that breakthrough device that makes sales history for WP and forces other users to pay attention. Maybe it is the Nokia 900, but more likely it will be a WP8 phone.

The Radar is T-Mo's third best seller right now, the Nokia 710 is featured in 2 commercials, The Focus S has been sitting comfortably in the top 20 on Amazon for device sales with contracts, and the Titan 2 with LTE is on the Horizon.

Add in this happy "it is everyone's second choice" poll result, and it doesn't take much to see WP may end up as a ton of users first choice before long. My only regret is that I can't say I was a first Generation WP owner like a lot of you can say you are. I would like to be able to brag about being there from the beginning....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786