Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By aubreyq

Hi. I've been using an HTC Surround (ATT) for some time. I've installed many apps and made multiple config changes to the device. There's also lots of pictures on it and other stuff i'm sure i'm not even aware of.

Anyway, today i got a Samsung Focus S (still ATT.) I want to migrate everything (or as much as possible) to the new phone. Basically i'd like some way to make my new phone look and feel like my old phone, including all the previously purchased apps and settings changes.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks in advance!

With regards to photos and music, just Sync them with Zune and then Sync them on the new phone. Problem solved.

With regard to apps; if they were installed from Zune, they will automatically reinstall (just leave it plugged up for a while). If you did it from the phone, you have to install them again from the phone or through zune manually.

You can get a list of everything you installed from Zune, regardless where you installed it from.

As for as settings, manually as well.

Global Posts
    1,616 Global Posts
    I think if you go to windowsphone.com and then my phone, and then account, you can see a list of every app you've ever installed, with an option to reinstall individually. Much easier than searching in the marketplace. Keep in mind each app will be a fresh install; there is no way to save your setting. The same with games. You are going to lose all your save games/progress.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    APPS/GAMES

Open up ZUNE . log in with your LIVE ID .. go to APP/GAme collection ( u can see everything you got. )

NOTE: you can only re-download apps from ZUNE if you originally got it on ZUNE.. if you got it on the PHONE you need to re-download them ON THE PHONE.

PICS/MUSIC/VIDS....

simply create your shared folder ( with ZUNE on your PC ) make sure you set up your NEW phone as the MAIN PHONE ( or else it wont sync )

then simply sync from PHONE TO PC.... then PC to NEW PHONE.

easy breezy :D
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Quote Originally Posted by jmerrey View Post
    I think if you go to windowsphone.com and then my phone, and then account, you can see a list of every app you've ever installed, with an option to reinstall individually. Much easier than searching in the marketplace. Keep in mind each app will be a fresh install; there is no way to save your setting. The same with games. You are going to lose all your save games/progress.
    Yes, windowsphone.com is MUCH easier. Thanks!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exchangeguy View Post
    Yes, windowsphone.com is MUCH easier. Thanks!
    actually the ZUNE player on PC is easier. lol :P ( more or less samething as Windowsphone.com , but has more options)
    If your looking for Information, be sure to check out: WindowsPhone: Getting started!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If one of our Members helps you, be sure to THANK him or her!

Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    The only downside would be that you lose your progress on saved games, but I believe Microsoft is hiring workers to develop a full backup/restore solution that'll hopefully be ready when Apollo comes out.
    selfcreation likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    actually the ZUNE player on PC is easier. lol :P ( more or less samething as Windowsphone.com , but has more options)
    From what i can tell, if you use the Zune app on your PC it shows you your install history, but then you need to go back to the phone to re-download. With windowsphone.com you can see your app install history, plus you have the option to reinstall the app right on the page.

Global Posts
    1,616 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by exchangeguy View Post
    From what i can tell, if you use the Zune app on your PC it shows you your install history, but then you need to go back to the phone to re-download. With windowsphone.com you can see your app install history, plus you have the option to reinstall the app right on the page.
    Exactly. When I got my latest phone, I used that website and reinstalled all my apps while my phone was on the charger in the other room. Couldn't have been easier.