What?! iSuppli thinks that Nokia could help WP overtake... iOS?

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
That would be nice, but right now I'm hoping WP can get 10% market share pretty soon.

Sent from my Windows7 Phone using Board Express

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Heh I'd take that first 5% just to get the milestone out of the way.

Roll on March so we can get some momentum going.

Giddora

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
The biggest problem is that people really think that dual-core and massive amounts of RAM is required for any system to run smoothly so they just read the spec-sheet and decide against WP.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
The biggest problem is that people really think that dual-core and massive amounts of RAM is required for any system to run smoothly so they just read the spec-sheet and decide against WP.

yeah no kiding!! more RAM would be nice doh..

and the day we get Duel-core is the day Fragmentation begins!! DOWN WITH DUEL CORE!!!

lol..

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that iSuppli is going to end up being wrong by a lot!

At first you may think... well, that's not going out on a limb. That's the common thought.

But I expect WP to hit 25% by then. Yes, as much as 7% more than iSupply predicts.

And I also think that will still place WP in a very close 3rd place. With iOS staying around 30% and Android holding 32%.

My completely 100% accurate predictions!

There will be a few growth spurts for WP.

Summer of 2012
Nokia ad push will take WP away from being an obscure OS to something most people will know about. Market share increase is limited because of the number of carriers the Lumia 900 is initially available in.
2.5% market share by the end of September 2012. But lots of increased mind share

December 2012 - January 2013
WP8 will have been introduced a month or two before this along with the new Windows 8 desktop and tablet OS. There will be a huge ad campaign by MS for Windows 8 and WP8 being members of the same "family." And tight integration will be very prominent in ads.
There will be another huge ad push by Nokia also. Versions of the Lumia 900 will have already been available on other carriers by now, and may be offered at reduced prices to make room for the WP8 devices.
Many people have contracts expiring and have the opportunity to try something new and fresh.
10% market share by the end of January

December 2013 - January 2014
Lots of interested people who were taking a "wait and see" approach have contracts that are expiring. We also see that businesses who have waited before upgrading to Windows 8 start converting a lot of their systems. Along with they, they buy handsets that are in the "family."
We see the new XBOX launch. The ad campaign also talks about tight integration and makes sure to point out the "family."
Integrates tightly with Windows 8 systems in the home as well as WP8 handsets. All in the "family."
22% market share by end of January 2014

December 2014 - January 2015
Windows Phone is pretty mainstream and popular by now.
MS Surface becomes "affordable" at under $2000. Is another member of the family.
25% market share by end of January 2015

Everything is a battle from this point on, with the 3 main ecosystems often gaining and losing every quarter.

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Ah yes sorry enahss555 I see what you mean now.

Guess the bold Sweden should be Network or Carrier.

But we know what Giddora means really. :D

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I honestly doubt it...

Sent from my Windows Phone using Board Express

Agreed. I believe WP7 is a fantastic OS and it has potential to be the best mobile OS ever. But I also believe Microsoft arrived at the scene too late. Most people who can afford a smartphone and are interested, already have one. And if you're used to iOS of Android for years, why bother jumping over to WP7? Ofcourse I can think of plenty of reasons, but most people stick to what they know. Damn shame!

Then again, I also get the feeling people want something new. Couple of years back having an iPhone was considered cool/nice/hipster/whatever. Now it's just very common. I am actually drawing quite some attention from my collegues and friends with my WP7: "Hey, what's that phone? Never seen those strange icons."

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Agreed. I believe WP7 is a fantastic OS and it has potential to be the best mobile OS ever. But I also believe Microsoft arrived at the scene too late. Most people who can afford a smartphone and are interested, already have one. And if you're used to iOS of Android for years, why bother jumping over to WP7? Ofcourse I can think of plenty of reasons, but most people stick to what they know. Damn shame!

Especially if you are invested into 1 ecosystem with various apps or purchases they would not want to lose those by switching to something else.

boss.king

Sep 14, 2011
Visit site
I think without Steve Jobs, Apple could start to falter a little. They still have a great team at Apple but do does MSFT, and Belfiore really seems to know what he's doing. It's a hard call to make, and I'm a little skeptical of WP overtaking iOS.

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
I think without Steve Jobs, Apple could start to falter a little. They still have a great team at Apple but do does MSFT, and Belfiore really seems to know what he's doing. It's a hard call to make, and I'm a little skeptical of WP overtaking iOS.

I am sure apple has plenty of talented engineers that can keep the apple ship going although I think that without Steve Jobs they may not be as prominent as when he was at the helm. It seems they continue to incorporate things that will keep making them money and getting more people to use( textbooks on ipads for example)

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
People will look back in 10 years and laugh at the "it's too late" argument against WP, right now. Quite simply - it's never too late, unless you know something I don't, e.g: end of world 2012?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
My sister is a die hard Apple fan. She recently told me that the iPhone5 might be the last Apple device that she's definitely getting. After that, she's open to others. Even though she's already bought a bunch of apps.

She's convinced that Jobs' leadership is what gave Apple the drive to always be special. And that the iPhone5 is the last with his influence.

If a lot of hardcore Apple people hold Jobs in such high esteem, then there could be quite an exodus coming up in 2 or 3 yrs.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
Trying to predict anything that far out is just folly. Who knows what will happen in this industry that far. Trying to do that is like trying to catch a fart in the wind. I think the only thing you can predict is that WP will be getting a bigger market share sometime in the future. Are you going to ride that wave or let it pass you by?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans