Custom Message and E-mail Notification Sounds

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
First Window phone, following the instructions on this site I was able to set up custom ring tones. Is there anyway to set up custom E-mail and Message notifications?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
You can set up an alert for emails etc, but you can unfortunately only choose from the stock tones. Custom ringtones only for voice calls for some reason.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Yup no custom notification tones at this point in WP hopefully they will release the API to developers soon.

sumorabbit

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Actually, if you have registry access you can. Currently I have Bender from futurama saying to kiss his shiny metal , as my text tone.

sync through zune, some tones you like, mp3, under 40 seconds, genre: ringtones. Then go to your wp7root tools explorer function. Copy/paste your tones from My documents/my ringtones into the Windows Folder, then go to your registry local machine......dang, I forget the path between local machine and OEMNotifications, but you search custom alerts on xda if you can't find the notifications from local. Amywho, in oemnotifications, create a reg value, name it EXACTLY what your tone was called that you put in the windows folder. Save. Then just go to your sounds page in your settings and your tone will be available for SMS, email, voicemail, etc. Sorry for the incomplete instructions, and its more of a hassle that a lot of people think its worth, but check xda to fill in my blanks if you want to do it. Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

sumorabbit

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, no. However the fact that its possible using the phone's natural capabilities is a very good sign. If you dont want to, or aren't comfortable unlocking your phone, I apologize for getting your hopes up. If you do want to read more on it, I assure you I'm no tech wizard and even I made this method work, check out Windows Phone Hacker and click on windowsbreak.

Oh! But, as of now its only working on Samsung phones I believe. So take that for what it is also.

SteelSteve

Oct 21, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the inputs, unfortunately I don't want to mess with unlocking, rooting, hacking my phone or I would have been happy staying with Android. Hopefully Microsoft will someday make it possible.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon