possible to use different wp7s on verizon?

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
hey guys, i gave up my htc hd7 a while back simply becasue tmo sucks in my area... so i was forced to go back to big red ( verizon ). i didnt want the trophy because i thought it was a sub par phone compared to its competition at the time... so i got an iphone, which has been a great phone. but i miss my wp7 OS, i miss zune, bing, xbox live, i miss it all... is there a way to use other phones on verizon? i know verizon and sprint are the only cdma carriers in the us so i could probably get an unlocked arrive to work, but what about the dvp? do they make one for cdma carriers? or are their any international carriers in which an unlocked phone would work on verizon? if not what do you folks with the trophy think of it? im not looking at signing a contract so i can still upgrade when veriZon gets phones like the 900 ect... i wopuld just sell my iphone and purchase a wp7 device

thanks

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
to my knowledge... CDMA cannot be unlock...
and CDMA phones only work on specific carriers...
so ... id say no. you have to get what ever they have....

and the fact that Nokia hates CDMA. ( they killed bell back int he day cause we only had CDMA ) your only bet might be to wait for the next HTC/Samsung or w/e.. and hope!!

why dont your switch to AT&T and get the Nokia 900 on march 13th?( or was it 18th? ) Much better network any ways... i cant even baleave carriers still use CDMA.. (specially int he US )

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I'm in a similar issue to you. I was on AT&T and had poor service in my area. I switched back to Verizon and gave up my Focus. I didn't want a poorer phone so I switched to Android. Now I really miss WP7 and have no options with Verizon. I was looking for a cheap used Trophy to hold me over, but nobody is selling them used!

EAA575

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
to my knowledge... CDMA cannot be unlock...
and CDMA phones only work on specific carriers...
so ... id say no. you have to get what ever they have....

and the fact that Nokia hates CDMA. ( they killed bell back int he day cause we only had CDMA ) your only bet might be to wait for the next HTC/Samsung or w/e.. and hope!!

why dont your switch to AT&T and get the Nokia 900 on march 13th?( or was it 18th? ) Much better network any ways... i cant even baleave carriers still use CDMA.. (specially int he US )
Nokia doesn't hate CDMA as they did before. You'll most likely see a Nokia device from Verizon in the coming months, most likely in fall. I don't think the Trophy is a bad phone. If you can, I'd say get the Trophy to hold you off until fall :)

Sent from my HTC Arrive using Board Express

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Is the battery life as good as other WP7 phones? Reason I ask is because it's got a 1300mAh battery which seems a little small.

It also has a smaller screen than other phones. I think the battery life is pretty good and I can definitely get over 24 hours with moderate use, could probably squeeze out 1.5 days with minimal or smart usage. I don't have any other phones to compare it to.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Last edited by a moderator:

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Check out the thread recently posted by theweebear, "a note about 3g bands". He posted a link to an article that seems to suggest that both the global and n. american variants of the Lumia 800 have CDMA radios, which would suggest you could use an unlocked one on big red...

EDIT: Here's the link:

A note on Lumia variants and 3G bands

That is false.Will a phone that supports WCDMA work with Verizon? | Answerbag
http://mashable.com/2011/01/11/cdma-umts-att-verizon-networks/

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Check out the thread recently posted by theweebear, "a note about 3g bands". He posted a link to an article that seems to suggest that both the global and n. american variants of the Lumia 800 have CDMA radios, which would suggest you could use an unlocked one on big red...

EDIT: Here's the link:

A note on Lumia variants and 3G bands

yeah but careful

that article talks also about W-CDMA witch is NOT the CDMA that BIG RED/spint uses. they use *cdma2000* witch is not W-CDMA .. hence you still cant unlock them !!!

and CDMA device cannot be unlock to specific carriers... only 3G/4G ( GSM/HSPA/HSPA+/LTE )

what you CAN do to test if it work before you buy!!!!!

carriers have a tools that checks the serial number of the phone ( ESN/IMEI/MEI..ect..) and they can check if its compatible with their network or not

maybe if some one can share a Luna 800/900/710 Serial number with you ( just to test ) then call BIG RED and ask them if it works.

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site

The article did seem to say that it was 3g... I don't know that much about cdma, so I could be wrong... Stranger things have happened. ;)

Quote from the article:
Nokia Lumia 800 variants

RM-801 / 800 - Global - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA (3G) Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band VIII (900)

RM-819 / 800.1 - US - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA (3G) Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band V (850)

800.2 - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA (3G) Band I (2100), Band II (1900), and Band V (850)

Also, I clicked on the answerbag link and couldn't find the actual answer...

Last edited:

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
The article did seem to say that it was 3g... I don't know that much about cdma, so I could be wrong... Stranger things have happened. ;)

Quote from the article:
Nokia Lumia 800 variants

RM-801 / 800 - Global - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA (3G) Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band VIII (900)

RM-819 / 800.1 - US - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA (3G) Band I (2100), Band II (1900), Band V (850)

800.2 - GSM 850/900/1800/1900 MHz, WCDMA (3G) Band I (2100), Band II (1900), and Band V (850)

Also, I clicked on the answerbag link and couldn't find the actual answer...

cdma is 3g, it is different from evdo which is pretty much the same as edge(2g)

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
FYI!

(just an example using random carrier )

If SPRINT and BIG RED both use the SAME CDMA frequency... you still cant bring one phone to the other carrier... no matter what.

so dont be fooled by them having the same frequency.... you still cant unlock them.

FYI! . EVDO IS 3G!

EvDO is just a update of the CDMA data , and so is GSM to EDGE

1G: analog
2G: First CDMA , First GSM(not in USA) , 1X , WIMAX
3G: GSM , CDMA , WCDMA , HSPA , HSPA+ , WIMAX
4G: LTE, WIMAX

Last edited:

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
cdma is 3g, it is different from evdo which is pretty much the same as edge(2g)

Fair enough. I stand corrected... Too bad, I have a self-admitted tech whore of a father in law who I'd love to try to convert. He currently has an iPhone 4s, an iPhone 4, and a BB storm 2 which he gave to his son, and he recently gave my wife his original iPhone, which she just uses on WiFi. He has a grandfathered unlimited data plan on big red. He also went and bought a 3g iPad 2 when he left his original 3g iPad on the roof of his car this summer. (!)

Premium1

Aug 11, 2011
Visit site
Fair enough. I stand corrected... Too bad, I have a self-admitted tech whore of a father in law who I'd love to try to convert. He currently has an iPhone 4s, an iPhone 4, and a BB storm 2 which he gave to his son, and he recently gave my wife his original iPhone, which she just uses on WiFi. He has a grandfathered unlimited data plan on big red.

I wish Verizon got something like the focus. I'm on Android but wanna switch but the trophy is just a little small for my liking.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I am using the trophy and I am liking it. I came from a droid x so I do miss the bigger screen. I think 4.0 inches would be perfect. I like that the phone is a bit smaller and the screen size doesn't actually bother me as much as I thought it would. Can't wait to see what other WPs vzw gets.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
im am doing it, i already have my iphone4 on ebay... so i am buying a trophy... it has good reviews so i think it will hold me over till fall. they are selling brnad new trophy's on ebay for 199 without a contract. so thats what i will buy! plus the screen size isnt a factor to me. although i would prefer a bigger screen, i have been using an iphone without any problems and it is only 3.7 so... i am so excited to be comnig back, and this time i will have a carrier that is reliable!!! man did i miss zune, and the whole UI this platform gives us.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss