Visit site
Windows Phone Marketplace passes 60,000 published apps

an average of 400 apps a day.

wp-mp-janb-11.png

Yet not Pandora or Skype :(

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yep, I'm waiting and waiting because I don't see myself leaving WP7 anytime soon. Sure it sucks sometimes but the grass is always greener on the other side.

jleebiker

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I was just about to post something related... I was in the Apple App Store looking for a GPS util for my iPad2. There's SO MUCH GARBAGE out there! Most were 2 stars or below. Some even were "I'd give it 0 stars if I could" type reviews. Some were just front ends to an existing website. Many were thinly veiled ads with no real features unless you paid for the upgraded version.

I'll take our # of apps over the Apple one any day. Its not quantity, but quality! More power to WP!!!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The other thing is that Windows Phone have the pay app and the lite app merge into one in the form of trials. Most of them are just normal version but with adds.

If that wasn't the case we should be close to 100,000 apps.

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
Interesting thing about the growth curve is that it is getting steeper. That means that not only is the number of apps growing but it is growing at a faster rate than it used to. It's 400/day now just a few months ago it was 150/day. More developers are getting on board all the time. Good numbers all around.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
As a (mature) student I really do love the WP ecosystem for building/releasing apps.

If your college is registered with MS you can get free developer registration, 100 free app submissions, free developer tools (full version of Visual Studio 2010 - normally in the $900 range), really helps get young developers on board early.

The documentation is getting better all the time too. Makes me wish my programming classes were more than just two a week :(

EDIT: to clarify I'm learning VB.net in college, not WP programming specifically.

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
I was just about to post something related... I was in the Apple App Store looking for a GPS util for my iPad2. There's SO MUCH GARBAGE out there! Most were 2 stars or below. Some even were "I'd give it 0 stars if I could" type reviews. Some were just front ends to an existing website. Many were thinly veiled ads with no real features unless you paid for the upgraded version.

I'll take our # of apps over the Apple one any day. Its not quantity, but quality! More power to WP!!!

I don't really see the difference, when I look in the windows marketplace, I see a lot of low-quality junk and quite a few high profile apps missing. People make this "quality not quantity article" but honestly I don't see a lot of quality in there.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
There's a lot of medium quality stuff in the marketplace. Because of the design language, even the simplest of apps still do meet a decent quality bar.

Not so in other app stores. There really is some hideous stuff out there.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
There's a lot of medium quality stuff in the marketplace. Because of the design language, even the simplest of apps still do meet a decent quality bar.

Not so in other app stores. There really is some hideous stuff out there.

True, and usually apps get much better after just one or two updates.

Overall quality in the Marketplace is good, although I'm getting concerned with all the spam that has been showing up lately.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
That's good but what I still don't like is that a lot of the apps are costly compared to Android and iOS.

I get that Microsoft has to keep the price of some of the apps high because they offer achievements for Xbox Live but honestly, I bet most ppl that purchase Windows phones don't give a crap about Xbox Live achievements. I hope Microsoft comes to realize this and drops the prices of their apps to better compete with other platforms. A lot of the paid apps I see in the marketplace are $1-$2 or free on iOS and Android.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
To be honest I think as the market place expands prices will come down. On the Apple store unless you release at 69p your app is pretty much going to fail unless you're a major company, exceptionally well marketed or releasing a version of a PC/Mac program.

While there are a fair number of repeat apps on the WP store, there is still a lot of room for new ideas and so on, it's only fair that the developer charges a reasonable price, especially if it's a good app.

I would be interested to see stats on how many trial versions result in upgrades too. Generally I find trial versions to be very good and will usually upgrade if I get a good amount of use from the app. I find myself much more willing to review stuff on the WP store as well, but I'm not sure why.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm sad that there's no an awesome Facebook app that kicks the original one in the pants. I mean it should have Timeline and stuff and look awesome like Zune.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm sad that there's no an awesome Facebook app that kicks the original one in the pants. I mean it should have Timeline and stuff and look awesome like Zune.

I'm a little alarmed that the official one isn't better, isn't Microsoft fairly heavily invested in Facebook? Or have I imagined that :S

Certainly given that Skype and FB are bestest buddies and MS owns Skype I would have thought a little more commitment to WP would be on the cards. On the other hand we're the only OS with the functionality built in.

That said, the less reasons I have to spend time on FB the better, it gets enough use as it is.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't really use the app anymore, I even deleted it but there's the time when I want to check my inbox etc... and I don't want to bother using the app. It looks pretty but the functionality could be a loooot better.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Well I don't really use the app anymore, I even deleted it but there's the time when I want to check my inbox etc... and I don't want to bother using the app. It looks pretty but the functionality could be a loooot better.
Can't argue with that. Tbh it would be nice if the app just made up for the shortfall in built in functionality, like being able to edit your profile or choose who you're posting to. I guess they want people to visit their actual page for that though.

IamVortigaunt

May 20, 2011
Visit site
Good to see the marketplace growing, but it's definitely still not where I'd like it to be. Don't get me wrong, I'm staying with wp7, but it does get annoying when you find out you can't get a certain app. Examples for me are Call of Duty: Elite app and Radio.com app. Plus, I'd like to see more games that are on iOS/Android. Hopefully, market share grows so we can attract more development for the platform so that someday it may become common to hear "available on iOS, Android, and Windows Phone" instead of just the former two.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)