Convince me to Trade my 4S for the Lumia 800.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok so in my area there are like 3 people who are willing to do the trade, Im just not sure though.....

here are some random thoughts (might be a lot and in no order):

1.it is very weird, in one end I love the look, font, smoothness of WP7 but at the same time it seems like its a little TOO simple? Like at least on IOS you can put backgrounds and stuff, I dunno.

2.How is the camera on the 800?

3.I hear some complaints about pentile display? Whats all that about?

4.Let me look at my phone, heres what I use the most:shoutcast radio, netflix, pandora, last fm, paypal, ebay, flashlight, nba game time, justintv, and a bunch of random games.

5.I hear the apps are getting higher and higher in count, but im not expecting it to have the amount or quality of games that IOS has.

6.Are there a lot of free games? And I hear that WP7 apps are more $$, whats up with that?

Overall I think the looks of the lumia 800 are awesome! better then iphone! As far as whats holding me back its mainly 2 things: The OS its self, on one end it looks amazing, but I question if it will last or catch on (it seems it hasnt as of yet) and 2 memory, 16gb is kinda annoying especially since I have 32gb with my iPhone....are putting AVI and Divx files on WP7 hard? Also aside from no FFC (dont care too much tbh) anything else missing?

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Also I know you'll say wait for the 900 but I like the small size of the 800 and I got used to the 3.5 of the iphone so 3.7 should be nice! And as far as LTE its nice but Its not something I really need.

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Also sorry but I forgot I use the GPS a lot as well, are they better then google maps on iphone? As it sucks on iphone compared to Androids.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Also sorry but I forgot I use the GPS a lot as well, are they better then google maps on iphone? As it sucks on iphone compared to Androids.

If you get an 800 you'll have access to Nokia Drive and Nokia Maps. That should pretty much fill all your turn-by-turn needs.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know you said you didn't want the 900, but it will have a 12MP camera. I haven't seen it in action anywhere yet, so I don't know if it's actually any better QUALITY wise (cause MP aren't everything). I think the 4S has a noticeably better camera, but the difference depends on how important it is. If it's only mildly important, they will be at least similar. If your a huge camera person, it will probably be noticeable.

Edit: The 12MP camera on the 900 is wrong. I was thinking the rumored 910.

You can checkout the WP Marketplace through the browser if you want to check it out and compare.

Also, don't forget you get SkyDrive for Cloud storage.

Last edited:

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Well, I know you said you didn't want the 900, but it will have a 12MP camera. I haven't seen it in action anywhere yet, so I don't know if it's actually any better QUALITY wise (cause MP aren't everything). I think the 4S has a noticeably better camera, but the difference depends on how important it is. If it's only mildly important, they will be at least similar. If your a huge camera person, it will probably be noticeable.

You can checkout the WP Marketplace through the browser if you want to check it out and compare.

Also, don't forget you get SkyDrive for Cloud storage.

The 900 has an 8mp just like the 800, it just has a better aperture.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
In all honesty, I think the 800 is the weaker phone (and I own one and like it). If (1) bothers you, you can jailbreak the 4S now and change styles. With WP7, what you get is what you get and that's it. For 2, the camera takes good shots, sometimes great shots, but needs more work to get them. The autofocus on the video camera is also prone to strange behaviour and is disappointing (software fix is coming, but not arrived as yet). For 3, it's a matter of choice. Pentile AMOLED can look a bit "grainy", but the trade-off is fantastic contrast and vivid colours. There's no escaping the lower-res screen though. For apps you'll be fine, although your choice of games (or at least good ones) will be smaller. WP7 games also tend to be simpler. Want a decent FPS? Not the platform for you right now.

Oh, and Bing maps/Nokia maps are both fairly good, but both have less functionality than iOS maps. Nokia Drive is excellent thogh and helps bridge that gap and then some.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I wouldn't do the trade.

It would be better to sell the iPhone 4S and then use the money to buy a Lumia 800. You should have some money left over.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
I would not trade the 4s for a Lumia 800 maybe a 4 but not a 4S. I would consider waiting until the 900 comes out which is fair competition to the 4S but in all fairness I would wait for the Nokia Apollo handset because you know they are going to go all out for that one.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
Reading your post, as much as you like the looks of the phone, I think moving to WP7 would be a mistake for you, certainly at this point in time. Regarding your points, there are equivalents and work arounds and so on but even going on memory capacity alone I would say that you're better off waiting to see if Nokia or another WP manufacturer produces handsets with larger storage.

In the interests of covering everything though; the OS is pretty much untweakable, you can change the colour of tiles and arrange them how you like, and you can set a lock screen wallpaper. Oh and you can choose between a black or white background.

I generally find the camera to be very good, but I'm coming up from a 5mp one and haven't tried the 4S's camera to compare.

Some people can see the difference between a pentile display and some of the other types. I personally cannot, and if you've used an 800 and couldn't see anything wrong then more than likely it wouldn't cause an issue for you.

Some of the apps you listed are available, some are not, some may have unofficial versions and there are alternatives. MS and Nokia have committed to bringing at least the top 25 apps from other platforms to WP7 before this summer and the numbers are increasing at around 400 a day.

There are some excellent games on WP7, but you will not find any for 69p or $0.99. Generally speaking the Xbox Live titles are of a fairly consistently good quality (as are most a lot of the games/apps in fact) and obviously the achievements contribute towards your gamertag if you're an xbox owner and in to that kind of thing.

On iOS you have separate versions of apps for free/paid, on WP, most apps offer a trial version which may be time/functionality limited, or an ad supported version of the full app. Any trial can be upgraded from the app to a full version.

There are some things I believe that WP does better than iOS, and some that are still being added or improved either by MS or developers. But the fact of the matter is, if you're looking for a straight up iPhone replacement, at the moment you're not going to get it with Windows Phone, no matter what handset you get. If I was you I would check back in 6 months, the 4S wont have a successor by that stage and will still be worth as much to sell on.

mhans311

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Don't do it. WP doesn't have some of your most used apps. It doesn't have official Pandora and don't have justintv. As much as I dislike iOS, the iPhone 4s is a better phone.
As far as games, there aren't very many good games on WP yet. There are some good ones coming, but they will probably be a little more expensive than on iOS. Most of the good games are.

Sent from my Trophy using Board Express

Calidude

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone isn't worth getting until:

1) There's at least 200k apps, including all the big name company apps like Pandora, etc.
2) Apollo is released
3) Nokia releases more handsets with screens that are bigger than 4 inches.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone isn't worth getting until:

1) There's at least 200k apps, including all the big name company apps like Pandora, etc.

Since you are specifying the need for 200,000 apps specifically, can you please name the 140,000 apps individually that would need to be there for you?
2) Apollo is released
may be worth waiting for these devices, but the 900 would be just fine.

3) Nokia releases more handsets with screens that are bigger than 4 inches.

well, the 900 does, and so will the versions going to Europe, and unless you are using more than one phone at a time, why the need for them to release more before you get one?

To the OP: I'd wait for the 900. To me that one would be worth it, but it depends on your needs. 3.7" screen is small, but you are used to an iPhone with 3.5" so its up to you.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Save your money because once Windows 8 comes out do yourself a favor and buy a new Windows 8 laptop/tablet and Windows phone 8 handset and have a blast

mmaman

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Ok guys thanks. Im not completely sure what I will do but I'll wait a bit, at the end of the day I dont need crazy specs if the OS runs fast and smooth, also as far as apps, aside from the ones I listed and some games here and there I dont need much either, like I said, the tiles look a little too simple but the rest of the UI looks amazing imo, the font is wow! I'll stick with iphone for now and perhaps get the 900 when out but like I said the main problem I have with WP7 is 16gb only, I mean its not THAT bad but ive been so spoiled with 32gb.

Anyway thanks, eventually im gonna go WP7 but I need the conditions to be just right and the conditions are getting there, just a bit more to go....if the 900 had 32gb, I wouldn't even be debating this...

BTW on a side note, I did have the focus at launch and loved it, just had to get rid of it because of missing features (which mago fixed) so I do really like the OS, just not sure if I was sold 100% on the titles, regardless it left an impression on me that has me yearning for it since launch, its just the things I listed are holding me back.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I mean, if I buy for example the Focus S. What exactly will I miss on Apollo? Dual Core and HD display? I know the Focus S is going to get Apollo, it's a second generation device.

I don't really know what HD display means, since I haven't saw one yet.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism