How do I get an Epub onto my Arrive?

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
OK, I installed the Amazon Kindle app and I have an epub document I would like to install onto my phone so I can read it when I have the time. I just don't know how to get it into the Zune program so I can install it into my phone.

I really hate..HATE.. not being able to move stuff onto and off of my phone like I had been for so many years with WM and Activesync. My phone isn't unlocked so I don't have any of the other workarounds for it like device manager. I'm still kicking myself for waiting until it was too late and not buying the Chevron when it first came out.

tried emailing it to myself and downloading onto the phone that way but I can't get it to open on the phone.

Thanks

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm currently using 2 apps for my epub needs. The one I'm more familiar with is an app called "Freda". If you want to install an epub from your PC you will need to have a dropbox account if you haven't got one already. Once you have one, just upload the epub from your PC to your dropbox account. Afterwards in the freda app in the settings menu you can plug in your dropbox info. If done correctly your dropbox will sync with freda and you should be able to open your epub. Hope this works for you.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

Last edited:

edboogie78

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure if the Kindle application would read the ePub file anyway. I believe (and I could be wrong) that it only can gather, and display books from Amazon themselves. You could do what the poster above me has said, or you could use a different method.

The method I would suggest is to use the Calibre/Freda combination for your ePub needs. You can download Calibre from calibre - E-book management (please remove link, if link is not allowed) and then go to the Marketplace and download Freda, link here: http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/apps/c1e312da-52d6-df11-a844-00237de2db9e

Now install Calibre on your computer, and import your ebook by using the Add books option (using the down arrow will give more options for adding books). Once the book is listed within the columns you're good to start the content server. You do so by clicking upon the Connect/share button and selecting Start Content server. The blue "bulbs" on the icon should now turn green.

Now using your phone (after the installation of Freda), open the application and you should be faced with some tiles for sources. One of which will be Calibre. Tap and hold on Calibre and tap "edit 'calibre'" on the new menu. Once there, change both the home URL and search URL IP address to correspond with your computer. For example, http://192.168.1.2:8080/opds.

Once the address is correct, and your calibre server is running, you will be able to just tap the tile for Calibre and have access to all the books that you've added to the "server".

Note: The IP address for your computer internally would need to be used (unless you set your router and Calibre up for sharing outside of your network). The IP address for your computer should begin with 192.168...
I learn something new everyday. I will have to this is as well.

Sent from my PI39100 using Board Express

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks. I have Calibre on my computer and had installed Freda some time ago, just forgot about it since I'd never used it yet. I just now need to figure out my home computers ip address and I'll be up and running.

Thanks again. I'll give it a shot and check back if I need more help.

johnmcd348

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. I really appreciate the help and insight. I installed Bookvisor also just this morning and will try it out also. It'll be Saturday before I get a chance at my desktop again so I'll see what I can do about syncing Calibre with the phone.

I'd forgotten about ipconfig and so many other common things I used to use all the time back in the days of DOS3.3. Ever since XP, I've really not done nearly the stuff I used to to make my computer run and work. I've gotten lazy and forgotten a lot of what I used to know.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
That's great, but I think you'd still have to sign up. It uploads the book to their servers, links to your account and then opens the book via all the methods I've tried. I hope I'm wrong and that won't be the case. It's not a deal breaker anyway, still looking a good alternative!

Oh, well that stinks. Too bad the guy doesn't offer a 99-cent version of the app that doesn't require any sign-up.

Jim Chapman

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
It looks like the dev of Bookviser is going to add Dropbox and Skydrive access soon, so you won't have to sign up for a Bookviser account in the future.

Freda already offers DropBox access, and that's probably the easiest way to get a book onto your phone right now.

The next Freda version (update coming in a couple of weeks) will add SkyDrive support, and I guess that will then be the natural way to get books onto your phone, since every Windows Live ID comes with a piece of SkyDrive cloud storage. Especially since that new Freda version will remove all the restrictions about how many books you can store on your phone, and will provide controls to let you filter and sort the collection of books on the phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism