Bing Maps Navigation and Voice Search

xmind

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm glad to hear the news earlier this year of MS integrating Nokia Drive (or parts anyway) with their Bing Maps, because man was my last experience frustrating. First problem is that it took more than 3 voice searches for it to get the correct address. It would always screw something up including cities that no where near sounded close....and I was talking slowly and clearly too. Androids voice to text is much better at this time. Rarely did it mess up what I was saying....so hopefully MS is still working to improve it instead of checking it off the list and forgetting about it.

The actually navigation was terrible. I'm not talking about the lack of auto voice nav (tapping the screen is nice to hear the directions again, but I shouldn't have to tap to hear at every turn), but the actual route it took me. It was taking me out to the middle of no where and saying my destination was on a road that wasn't even road of the destination.....it even had me pass over the destination road to get me to what it thought the destination location was. My destination was not a new road, nor somewhere out in the sticks, it was to a Chrysler Assembly plant in northern Illinois. Google has it right on the dot: 3000 west chrysler drive belvidere il - Google Maps

Common sense got me there, not Bing. Did MS fire all their guys that did Live Search for WM back in the day? Live Search was awesome and worked really well for me back in the day.

/end rant of frustration

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
i have had bad experiences with google maps too so it does go both ways, but i do have to regretfully admitt that at this time, their navigation software is better. bing maps could definately use improvement... however it is still far better than apple's maps, lol...
i used bing maps this weekend without any issues, got me where i wanted to go with no wrong turns

kevm14

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I have have great luck speaking the address into Maps. But I have had some issues with actual navigation. The most recent and frustrating one was I was trying to get to a guy's house to look at a car with a friend, and it was saying the address was on the totally wrong street. In Maps, I could clearly see that it was the wrong street, yet it was trying to navigate to that location. Very strange and annoying. I had to manually find the street and knowing roughly where the house was (from a previous glance using Google Maps on a computer) and navigate to that location. But it totally failed going by address.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss