Windows Phone 7.5 not to update to WP8?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Not sure why I would believe anyone from that discussion over anything just as unofficial stated anywhere else because the truth is we do not know the first thing about what MS's plans are. Common sense though says Nokia, HTC, and Microsoft wont be going about touting devices like the Titan II or Lumia 900 if their shelf life is effectively 6 months.

And wasnt this the same BS we heard before Mango came out? And what about devs, are they supposed to wait till new devices are out before building WP8 apps to take advantage of things like NFC? As with Mango I fully expect all devices including gen 1 to get the update but older devices wont be able to take advantage of the newer hardware capabilities. Just like everything else till now, MS is taking the time to execute well rather than execute quickly.

Just remember how MS dumbfounded everyone with the Mango rollout, dont think they dont know what's at stake and will be careful not to emulate android's update failures. Whether its Apollo or Apollo-lite, we will all get some update.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
WP7.5 devices and (pre-nodo devices as well ) will all get WP8 (Apollo) ,, MS already confirmed this in MANY interviews.

not even gona bother reading the rest.

h

Thanks, brother! I'm very, very new to the WP7 universe, so I did not know this information. Would you be so kind as to give us a link?

trickym81

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
If all current WP7 phones are going to get WP8, Microsoft should definitely come out and say so in concrete terms right away. Even if they've said it before, they need to say it again. This rumour will seriously hurt them if people start to hear that buying a WP7 phone right now will guarantee that your phone will be obsolete in six to eight months.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Thanks, brother! I'm very, very new to the WP7 universe, so I did not know this information. Would you be so kind as to give us a link?

no worrys, i tryed to find the interview but i couldnt.

but from memory: in a Interview with NOKIA's CEO , and the fact that NOKIA has access to CORE programing ( witch could cause fragmentation of the OS )

Balmer (MS) and Stephen Elop (NOKIA ceo) both said that they where not going to dramatically change any of the core programing to specifically prevent a OS fragmentation like Android is dealing with at the moment,

its not set in stone, but every thing they say suggest that they WILL update all the phones.

1. CEO saying /talking about preventing this in interviews ( At CES 2012 Las Vegas).

2. they talk about tango and how it will *bridge* different hardware/software compatibility problems ( one can only assume that its for Apollo)

3. support for both MUlty AND single core ( before and after Apollo )

4. support for multiple screen resolution. ( again before and after Apollo )

5. i think its gona be more like an Iphone .. fraged os arround WP9-10

6. and the fact that WP8 might use different kernel ,really doesn't matter.. **** you could install ANDROID OS on a WP if you knew how.. lol... (worked for MS hehe ) so no reason why they couldn't COMPLETE change the code... WHIPE the OS clean off your phone and re-install the new kennels/OS

sorta like duel-booting Windows on a mac. anything is possible,.

any ways, fraged OS normally ( 90% of the time ) is caused by OEMs chaging the core programing and simply preventing it from being compatible with the next OS update... witch is not something that is happening on WP at the moment ( maybe in the future cause NOKIA is allowed. to change it... ) but not right now.

bottom line , i dont think we need to worry YET!

and it be stupid on MS's part to force people to get new phones this early in the OS's life. because of a stupid update. most of us are still on the first WP that came out Q4 of 2010 ..

i think that first GEN phones up to the NOKIA 900 will basically become what we call * LOW END * devices for low budget clients. ( after Apollo) and any WP8 devices will become the next COOL HOT TOYS! lol. ( at 800-900$ , lol )

Last edited:

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
6. and the fact that WP8 might use different kennel ,really doesn't matter.. **** you could install ANDROID OS on a WP if you knew how.. lol... (worked for MS hehe ) so no reason why they couldn't COMPLETE change the code... WHIPE the OS clean off your phone and re-install the new kennels/OS

sorta like duel-booting Windows on a mac. anything is possible,.

Yeah, I don't think a different kernel makes your phone un-upgradable. The WP8 kernel is based on Windows 8, which remember, is able to run on both x86 (Intel/AMD processors in your PC) and ARM (what's in mobile devices). Our devices have Qualcomm Snapdragon which uses the ARM architecture, so there's no reason we shouldn't be able to get WP8.

I mean look, I installed Mac OS X on my PC. How? Because Mac OS X is designed to run on x86 hardware (Intel) which is also what Windows 7 runs on.

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
You guys do know right its like formatting a PC you can formatt you PC to run Windows 8 and that will run the Windows 8 kernel or formatt it to run Android or Linux and they both use different Kernels.

WP8 will probably reformat your phone to run the new kernel I am sure all devices are Apollo compatible Microsoft isn't that dumb they have 1% marketshare if they decide Apollo is for Apollo devices that means its another big uphill battle for them.

Apollo is compatible I don't see why it cant be. With resolutions, dual core etc I bet they just add hardware tiers.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
I wouldn't put to much in to what you read that isn't official. Up till this week we didn't even have any details about Apollo. Hardware will become dated does that mean all current WP7 devices wont make the WP8 cut could be but I doubt it and I would bet that even Microsoft hasn't decided what will and wont happen. When Mango came out Developers were told that if they loaded the developers version of Mango on there device they would have to restore to NoDo before they could get the official version. This is what we were told up and until the week of the update when low and behold we got the official update without having to restore. I know we are talking a kernel change here I understand the difference so don't point that finger at me.

Let me ask you this if I buy the Lumia 900 which I fully intend to do then I find out it wont be updated to WP8 is my Lumia now a lesser device...? I don't think so its still the killer Lumia 900 that I got the day I bought it. Wait if you want but technology is always changing the next greatest thing is just around the corner. I say get what you want when you have the money enjoy it while you can but start saving pennies now so your ready when you see the next great device you want.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
If WP8 isn't out until the early part of next year, I'll still be getting the 910 (running Tango) if it's released by May.

No one is being cheated, IMO. WP7 will still be app compatible and running as smoothly as ever. It's just, eventually, things have to move on. If I have the 910 for a year and miss the first batch of Win 8 phones, it'll only means that I'll have an even better Win 8 phone come upgrade time.

Ditto, I agree. I plan on getting two 910's One for me and my wife to replace our Nokia N8's.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
speedtouch,

The term is 'Osborne'

If memory serves me correctly the term/phrase came from early in the PC history when the maker of the Osborne computer (Adam Osbourne) which was a very popular machine at the time previewed several machines that were superior to the existing 'Osbourne 1'

Sales of the Osbourne 1 tanked as everyone waited for the new machines to come out, this caused the company to fold before the new machine came out.
Yep, I owned two of them. The Osborne 2 was an interesting machine, but at the time I was quite satisfied with what I had. All 64k of it. They started hyping the new model before they had figured out how they could pay for it. Not a good plan. Sold both machines on eBay last year. One still worked perfectly. Other only had a broken pin on the kb connector. Not bad for almost 30 years.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

GazooAz

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
I wouldn't put to much in to what you read that isn't official. Up till this week we didn't even have any details about Apollo. Hardware will become dated does that mean all current WP7 devices wont make the WP8 cut could be but I doubt it and I would bet that even Microsoft hasn't decided what will and wont happen. When Mango came out Developers were told that if they loaded the developers version of Mango on there device they would have to restore to NoDo before they could get the official version. This is what we were told up and until the week of the update when low and behold we got the official update without having to restore. I know we are talking a kernel change here I understand the difference so don't point that finger at me.

Let me ask you this if I buy the Lumia 900 which I fully intend to do then I find out it wont be updated to WP8 is my Lumia now a lesser device...? I don't think so its still the killer Lumia 900 that I got the day I bought it. Wait if you want but technology is always changing the next greatest thing is just around the corner. I say get what you want when you have the money enjoy it while you can but start saving pennies now so your ready when you see the next great device you want.
Exactly! I agree 100%. That is why I am getting the 710 for free and I will save my pennies for the next- next generation of windows phone.

anond

Nov 16, 2011
Visit site
I say get what you want when you have the money enjoy it while you can but start saving pennies now so your ready when you see the next great device you want.

That is what Apple does to milk its fanboys. And it's no secret how much people hate them for that. Microsoft is loved because they always make their software backwards compatible. It would be a shame if they are inspired by Apple in this stupidity.

illegaloperation

Nov 18, 2010
Visit site
The most ridiculous part so far is that we are having a discussion based on a rumor started by a user on Reddit.

The user is a Google troll: overview for technopwn

And FYI, the user refers to Microsoft fanboys as "astroturfers"

To make matter worse, we have more junk from Eldar Murtazin (who has the credibility of The National Inquirer): http://www.motoringcrunch.com/news/mobile-tech/9834-nokia-lumia-800-windows-phone-7-8-upgrade-apollo

The only (mostly) reliable information about Apollo we know about so far came from Pocketnow/Paul Thurrott. The fact is that we know very little about Apollo and everything else is speculation.

Last edited:

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just pre-ordered 5 Lumia 900's today. You can't just keep waiting and waiting, enjoy a phone now and when it's time for an upgrade something newer will be available. This is no different with Android even, ICS is out and yet people are buying tons and tons of Android phones with Gingerbread on them. And Android already has a pretty bad track record with getting updates.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
So Microsoft is busy working on Tango which will bring WP7 to lower spec devices, optimize the code etc... only to abandon them? No the point is to further optimize WP so it will work well into the future.

Apollo will come to all WP devices. The kernel change, if true won't change anything. WinCE and WinNT already have a lot in common and with WinNT coming to ARM that will only be closer. The point is to make it easier for apps to be on both Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8, by sharing code. Don't think they will throw away the code from WP7, its actually coming to Windows 8. Nothing runs native on WP7, its all thru Silverlight or XNA. Silverlight and XNA run on Windows 7, **** the emulator is x86. Change is so native code runs without modification on either Windows 8 or Windows Phone 8.

Bifurcated

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think it's important to avoid over-reacting here.

First, it's unlikely we'll see the "good" Apollo phones before Q1 2013. (Just think how annoying it is today for someone who bought a Titan or Focus S last year.) That's a whole year away, folks!

Second, from a user's perspective, there are really only two things that matter in Apollo, at least initially: the larger display sizes, and support for NFC. Even larger display size isn't going to be that big a deal initially, as it will take developers time to update their code to adapt to screens of different size. (And developers will need to support the large base of smaller displays for a good long time.) NFC will help with making peripheral devices available to WP. Even then, it will take time for the devices to appear.

There's a lot of blue-sky promise about close communication between phone, tablet and PC. I just don't buy it, at least not initially. It'll be 2014 before any of this has gained much steam. If ever.

If you have a gen 1 phone now, for sure, wait a year and get an Apollo phone in Q1 2013. There's nothing out today that's such an improvement over gen 1 that it's worth breaking a contract for.

But if you don't have a WP yet, take the plunge. Because if you buy a mango phone now on a two year contract, you'll be ready to get your next phone right on schedule for WP8 phones to actually be good.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Se1fcr3ation; said:
i think that first GEN phones up to the NOKIA 900 will basically become what we call * LOW END * devices for low budget clients. ( after Apollo) and any WP8 devices will become the next COOL HOT TOYS! lol. ( at 800-900$ , lol )

I'd be ok with the 900 being "low-end" as long as the off-contract price matched... :p

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
Wont be a problem to me if that's to happen. Buy 2-3 phones every year so they come and go. :)
Though one of the big points of apollo was that it can reach to much more wider range of devices, meaning that Nokia and others can build cheaper mid end phone on it and the very top end Android beaters.

That hopefully also means it can easily run at least on the second generation Windows Phones.

mprice86

Dec 12, 2011
Visit site
That anyone even entertained this idea for a second needs help.

After all the talk of avoiding fragmentation, the development of Tango to bring WP to low-end devices, the massive partnership and product launches with Nokia; people honestly thought/think that they would just ditch everything they've done so far, stick the finger up at all their current, loyal customers and put out a new product altogether?

Come on. I know MS has a bit of a bad rep, but they're not well known for being utterly, mind bendingly stupid.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05