Two AT&T Reps tried to talk me OUT of buying a WP

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I went with my wife into an AT&T store, with the intention of upgrading my wife to a new WP, the only question was, which one? Well, the first rep we had starts by trying to talk us out of buying a Windows Phone, saying they are buggy, and there are a lot of problems with email and attachments. When I am insistent, he does finally walk us over to where they have them, all 3 of them.

Then they tag in another sales guy, who comes over and is telling my wife how great android is, and she should really consider an Android phone. I pipe up that she already has an Android phone, and hates. Then he starts in on how that's (Samsung Galaxy Captivate) is an older OS, and the new ones are much better. I stop him, and tell him we are not interested in an android, and want a windows phone, she just needs to decide which one.

So, I ask the sales guy when they are getting in any Nokia phones, and he tells me he doesn't know, but that they will be running Android too. That's when I lost my cool, and told him he was an idoit, and walked out of the store.

Why in the world would you take someone who comes to your store telling you they want to buy someone, and try to talk them out of it. He should have just taken my money and been happy with the sale. If I hadn't been so well informed, and insistent, we could have easily walked out of the store with a new android phone.

Microsoft has got to figure out a way to incentivize the sales people to sell their stuff. I like the promo they did with TMO sales people, where they gave the top sales guy of WP's some big prize. They should do more of that. And they need to get some MS people into the stores to evangelize to the sales people.

btw, we are waiting for the Lumia 910, and we are BOTH upgrading, and I sure as heck won't be giving my money to that AT&T store. I'll probably drive down to the MS store around March 19 :)

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
bWSHu.jpg

ignorant sales reps

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I avoid the stores. I learned a while ago to always pay full price and an get unbranded/unlocked phone and go on a 30 day and out contract.

I am also going to get a couple of Nokia 910's. I am sure it will be an import. I get it from one of the reputable online stores like, MobiltCityOnline, NewEgg, Amazon, eBay...etc.. whoever has the better price at the time.

Last edited:

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
You should seriously consider finding out who the regional manager is and sending him an email and cc de la Vega and Belfiore.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm just glad there are two Microsoft Stores within 15 minutes of my house. I hate carrier stores with a passion.

Went in yesterday and preordered two Lumia 900's.

and I'd also second this:
You should seriously consider finding out who the regional manager is and sending him an email and cc de la Vega and Belfiore.

Shark87

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I get that Google/At&t/whoever might give employees incentives for selling Androids, but why in the world would they (employees) take it to the point where they are losing a customer trying to sell them one. Afterall they do still get a commission for selling a phone don't they?

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
I get that Google/At&t/whoever might give employees incentives for selling Androids, but why in the world would they (employees) take it to the point where they are losing a customer trying to sell them one. Afterall they do still get a commission for selling a phone don't they?
They're consumers like you and I, but the worst kind: Fandroids.

Like palandri, I have learned to avoid stores and have done my phone shopping via online (mostly Amazon and Ebay). Besides the fact you avoid idiots, you usually get a better price, because they always undercut carrier pricing.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
I can understand the reps steering undecided people towards Android, since that's what they know. But I'll never understand trying to steer someone who comes in intending to make a purchase and who already knows what they want. Do they know anything about sales at all?

threed61

Jul 28, 2011
Visit site
They're consumers like you and I, but the worst kind: Fandroids.

Like palandri, I have learned to avoid stores and have done my phone shopping via online (mostly Amazon and Ebay). Besides the fact you avoid idiots, you usually get a better price, because they always undercut carrier pricing.

I've always found AT&T stores push iPhones at you, VZW stores love to push Android.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
You ever think that they, maybe for one minute, thought that the phone they were trying to sell you was better.

Take off your tinfoil hats people.
Sent from my Galaxy S II

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
You ever think that they, maybe for one minute, thought that the phone they were trying to sell you was better.

Take off your tinfoil hats people.
Sent from my Galaxy S II

I'm not following. Better according to who exactly?

BTW, "KarateDad"... Best. Name. Ever! :D

Desdemona

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, its a whole different case in Australia. Currently, there are no carriers selling any WP7's, but when they were, it was almost crazy the way they were treating the brand. I remember going into an optus store (then selling Omnia 7), and asked the rep about the phone. I was planning to buy one, and I could see it in a display behind him, but when asked - He told me they dont stock any!. I pointed it out to him, and he looked shocked to see that phone!. Mumbled something about it having arrived just a day back or something, and immediately started talking about the great android phones which had just rolled in.
Lesson learnt, I finally got my Omnia 7 off Mobicity.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
According to the person who was selling the phone.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

Exactly... and "The customer is always right". ;)

Considering KarateDad and his wife knew what they wanted, this is like arguing with a waiter who's hellbent on you ordering the cheeseburger when you've clearly stated that you've had the burger and you prefer the steak.

Good on KarateDad for telling them to stick it and walking out.

Sent from my HD7 T9292 using Board Express

MannLou

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
When I went to get my Titan in the store they were ignorant of the phone's details and when it was supposed to arrive. I realized that they're just not on the radar for these guys. I think over time this will change but we have to be concerned about how these folks push people towards certain brands. I hate that.

Sent from my kick-*** TITAN using Board Express

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb