Any former WEBOS user here? Questions

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
how is multy task on WP7 Inferior? lol you mean on WEBOS?

2 diff rents between WBEOS and WP7 multy task

WEBOS:

- slide up to close app
- drains battery while in background

WP7:

- push back button to close app
- Doesn't drain your battery cause it doesn't run int he background.

WP7 is actually better. but your right it doesn't look as good.

c'mon man.....I might be sick of my pre2 and I'm ready for a lumia 800, but let's be honest here....

You just described multitasking vs NOT multitasking.....the point of multitasking is to run in the background.....
What u described about wp7 is not multitasking.....it is app switching......I'm not even going to get into card stacking here, specially for emails, txt mags, etc.....

There is no comparison here....it is moot point.....let's move on....

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
To be honest, my biggest complaint about webOS is that it doesn't single-task very well (i.e. is slow), but I do like the gesture interface a lot.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
To be honest, my biggest complaint about webOS is that it doesn't single-task very well (i.e. is slow), but I do like the gesture interface a lot.

Sadly, you are correct. It is slow. Have you used the overclocked kernels? They really help a lot.

mdameron

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Sadly, you are correct. It is slow. Have you used the overclocked kernels? They really help a lot.

My AT&T Pre Plus couldn't make it a day on a battery charge at stock speeds. I can't imagine what OCing does to it.

Good riddance to my Pre Plus. OS was awesome, but there ended the pros.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
My AT&T Pre Plus couldn't make it a day on a battery charge at stock speeds. I can't imagine what OCing does to it.

Good riddance to my Pre Plus. OS was awesome, but there ended the pros.

Yeah, the Pre hardware was total junk. I had to replace my Pre once and my friend and his wife, between their two Pres, they got replacements 12 times. Crazy!

But actually, if you use the "on-demand" kernels, your battery usage will lessen. It only overclocks the CPU when it's being used...otherwise it deeply underclocks the CPU.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It's truly amazing to me how poor the hardware is on pretty much every webOS device (with the possible exception of the HP Pre 3, which I've heard good things about but have never seen or used in person). I bought a Palm Pre 2 back in mid-December (for a few different reasons - it was pretty cheap new off-contract ($125), wanted a webOS-powered smartphone because there may not be any made in the future, liked the TouchPad I bought in early November, have a growing, possibly uncontrollable smartphone fetish :)), and I was amazed how mediocre the build quality was compared to HTC Trophy and Motorola Droid 2 (and the Apple iPod Touch and RIM Blackberry Playbook I've bought since then). The slider mechanism for the keyboard has some left-right looseness, which makes me worry it will fall apart if used heavily for an extended period. And from everything I've read, the Palm Pre 2 was a major improvement on the original Palm Pre and Palm Pre Plus in build quality! The TouchPad is built better than the Pre 2, but it isn't built as solidly as the other mobile devices I have either.

I have to agree with Team Obi Juan. WebOS is a very nice mobile OS in terms of user interface with the gestures control (plus the notifications control/Synergy is pretty good), but in just about every other way - hardware, battery life, speed - it just doesn't (pardon the pun) stack up to the other mobile OS out there (and mind you, only some of the shortcomings are due to webOS itself). That's really a shame because if Palm and then HP had done a much better job with the hardware, it could have been much more competitive. Having said that, I'll be interested to see what happens, if anything, with webOS now being open source. I could see a company like HTC putting out a webOS smartphone (with the pressure HTC is facing from Apple's lawsuits and Samsung's popularity on Android and from the Microsoft-Nokia relationship on Windows Phone), and I do think HP will make a successor to the TouchPad with webOS on it. Depending on the Google-Amazon relationship, I could even see Amazon moving from Android to webOS for future versions of the Kindle Fire (though I don't think that will happen).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
graceevans