Any former WEBOS user here? Questions

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm a current Pre2/3 user and I'm ready to replace my Pre 2 (will keep the Pre 3 for a while as my personal phone, the PRE 2 was my business phone).

I'm debating between a Lumia 800 and a 4S. The 900 is too big for me.

If there are any current/former Webos users here, please let me know your thoughts on WP and on Lumia phones.

Is there anything like Synergy on WP? This is one thing I love about Webos....all contacts from my 7 different email accounts (Exchange, Live, Yahoo, etc) and services (Skype, etc) all in one place useable by all.

I'm assuming this being a WP that Exchange integration is top notch? What about live email as an Exchange account?

I konw I will miss the Multitasking abilities of WEBOS (specially opening several emails to be responded in a stack to go through one by one at a different time)

Please advise...

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm a current TouchPad user and a former Sprint Pre user, as well as the webOS Ambassador for St. Louis. So you could definitely say I'm a total webOS junkie.

My wife got a Lumia 710 this past weekend and I had some time to play with it, but not a whole lot. I like the phone a lot. It's snappy and very smooth. I enjoy the tiles and I do think it has a type of Synergy. When I set it up for my wife I input her Facebook and Google Account. As far as I can tell, the phone pulls contacts from both. I don't know that for certain, but I am sure someone in here will chime in with the final answer regarding Synergy.

I would hope that Exchange is top notch. It better be since this is an MS mobile OS. I don't know about the Live account as Exchange, my wife doesn't use her Live mail. Multitasking. *sigh* I fear we shall never find another OS that does it as well as webOS does.

My wife has been using the phone since Saturday and she's taken to it fairly well coming from a Sprint Palm Pixi. She loves the graphics and design of WP7. She's a professional graphics design artist and she says WP7 is like a fancy magazine. She's not a techie like me, so it's nice to have her opinion on the phone.

Also, I've got an HTC HD7 coming in the mail to me probably on Wednesday of this week.

bush715

Jan 29, 2012
Visit site
I have been borrowing a wp7 device for a couple days now. I was the launch ambassador when I was at sprint for the original pre. I also was the web os area trainer when I worked for HP. Besides the insane multitasking ability that web os had you will be quite happy with it. shoot me a pm of you have any specific questions.

Last edited:

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
You will miss the notification area, gestures, multitasking, and possibly integrated chat (depending on what clients you use).

happynoodleboy

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I came to windows phone from using a Palm Pre Plus and I am very happy with the switch. Really the only thing that I miss is the multitasking and that's it. Most noticeable would definitely be the speed of windows phone compared to webOS. It isn't even comparable in my opinion. I was also easily able to find replacement apps on windows phone for the ones that I had on webOS and they seem to be of much better quality. One thing I do wish is that there was a preware for windows phone but really I haven't felt the need to patch anything on windows phone like I did with webOS. I was very excited for the Pre 3 to come out but HP killed it for me and I don't regret my decision one bit.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Also, consider the Lumia 710 which boots up in 18 seconds! Wow! Compare that to any webOS phone...it leaves them behind in the dust. I'm just amazed at how fast WP7 boots. My EVO 3D with a dual-core processor and all that still takes a good minute or so to boot. And my Pre? Gosh, that was at least 1 minute 30 seconds---even when overclocked.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
My HP veer died a bit too early :(

What I miss the most is the ability to close apps by swiping up
In webos you can simply close the app by swiping up, in the main screen
in mango, when you hold down the back button, you see all the apps that are open, but you cannot close them by swiping, and you have to use the back button to close an app.

webosisalive!

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
I'm a current Pre2/3 user and I'm ready to replace my Pre 2 (will keep the Pre 3 for a while as my personal phone, the PRE 2 was my business phone).

If there are any current/former Webos users here, please let me know your thoughts on WP and on Lumia phones.

Is there anything like Synergy on WP? This is one thing I love about Webos....all contacts from my 7 different email accounts (Exchange, Live, Yahoo, etc) and services (Skype, etc) all in one place useable by all.

I'm assuming this being a WP that Exchange integration is top notch? What about live email as an Exchange account?

I konw I will miss the Multitasking abilities of WEBOS (specially opening several emails to be responded in a stack to go through one by one at a different time)

Please advise...
Hey,
I came from a pre plus, and a veer to my samsung focus flash. I love the decision i made in going with windows phone over any other os, I've used android, iOS and blackberry before and WP is definitely my favorite. webOS was my favorite OS i didnt get bored of it after a good long while of use, while i found myself wanting a new phone every month with android, and got rid of my iPhone 4 in 2 months. Coming from a veer, I bought my focus flash, i had a choice of the TITAN, or the Focus S (this was during the penny deal on Black friday) and i chose the flash because i felt the S or the TITAN would be to big, and i wish i got the TITAN. I would suggest getting the bigger screen, while i love my flash, i could use a bigger screen and regret not getting it.

TheMetro

Jan 22, 2012
Visit site
For my personal line I got an iPhone 4S last October. But over the summer I had gotten a Veer for my business line. I still have it, but last month I got a brand new Samsung Focus S and plopped the SIM from my Veer. I like the OS a lot, as well as the device itself, but I can do without the camera button on the lower right side that I keep accidentally pressing all the time. While I like the Focus S, if you can wait a bit longer I would suggest looking into the Nokia Lumia 900.

crg28

Feb 6, 2012
Visit site
THe 900 is too big for me. I think my Pre 3 is too big. I like the Pre 2 size. Just perfect for me. It now looks like there will be no 800 for me either since Nokia is out of their mind with the $899 pricing for the US (in a bundle). This is ridiculous....

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site

in mango, when you hold down the back button, you see all the apps that are open, but you cannot close them by swiping, and you have to use the back button to close an app.

This has been discussed multiple times. It's not necessary to back all the way out. Simply hit the Windows button and be done with it. The apps are put into a suspended state. It's not consuming battery usage, data usage or slowing down your phone. That is one of the best things about WP, it's not necessary to "close" the app!

Speebs

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
This has been discussed multiple times. It's not necessary to back all the way out. Simply hit the Windows button and be done with it. The apps are put into a suspended state. It's not consuming battery usage, data usage or slowing down your phone. That is one of the best things about WP, it's not necessary to "close" the app!

Some of us LIKE to close everything to reduce clutter. It's psychological. So for those people, not being able to "close" apps can be very aggravating.

CHIP72

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

In all seriousness, you should pick up a Blackberry Playbook (with Blackberry QNX) - it has a gesture interface very similar to webOS and card-like "multi-tasking". The build quality on the Playbook is excellent too, much better than the HP TouchPad.

stevenmcbeaven

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site

Please advise...
Currently, I am rocking an iPhone 4s. I just sold my Lumia 710. I absolutely love WP7. It is so hard for me to choose that I am going to get a Lumia 900 when it comes out as well. I am a former webOS user. I use my touchpad a lot so i still get to use webos. Honestly, the reason i got an iPhone was for the mass amount and great quality of content. No other OS can match. I have had many phones, Android, Webos, WP7, and now an iPhone, all of which i used extensively, and as my primary phone at one point in time. I can tell you I'll always miss webos. WP7 is a great way to go. It does not multitask as well, but it is so intuitive and the interface is gorgeous. IMO, WP7 is more intuitive than any other OS out there. Webos multitasks like none other. The iPhone has more content, and the content is of high quality. Android is somewhere in the middle. It is very low cost, and very customizable, but the least intuitive, stylish, and stable of the bunch.

It just kind of seems like i am blabbering now, well keep in mind that if you live in the U.S. the Lumia 800 will only get 3g on AT&T's network. Also, keep in mind that the iPhone is much more of an investment. There is more content on an iPhone, but much more of an investment.

akanak

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Traded my Pre 3 for an Omnia W and i really like WP7. Multitasking in WP7 is inferior, there's no Synergy and it's not completely tether free BUT;

It is smooth, fast and the UI is pretty and there are more hardware options. Also has huge support (dev and corporate).

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Traded my Pre 3 for an Omnia W and i really like WP7. Multitasking in WP7 is inferior, there's no Synergy and it's not completely tether free BUT;

It is smooth, fast and the UI is pretty and there are more hardware options. Also has huge support (dev and corporate).

how is multy task on WP7 Inferior? lol you mean on WEBOS?

2 diff rents between WBEOS and WP7 multy task

WEBOS:

- slide up to close app
- drains battery while in background

WP7:

- push back button to close app
- Doesn't drain your battery cause it doesn't run int he background.

WP7 is actually better. but your right it doesn't look as good.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3