Nokia Lumia: "The first REAL windows phone" ?

winbot

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has made the claim that they manufacture "The first real windows phone" based on the windows experience.

BUT... to me their industrial design concept lacks one major aspect of windows phone. That is XBOX.

Although I am a very big fan of Nokia's industrial design for the Lumia line, I can't help but notice the distance between a gamer and a high-end fashion accessory. The Lumia's design is more of a delicate, high-end, status symbol. Where as the sony playstation phone (forgot what it's actually called) has the right kind of design that incorporates sony's brand as a whole. (but built too bulky and plasticy)

I'm not a gamer but I do see how an xbox fan wanting to switch to a windows phone would feel kind of like... well... socially awkward and incomplete.

Am I alone in thinking this?

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Yep. :p The truth is Windows Phone is many things to many people. 80% of my usage is Outlook/Office work. I don't use facebook or twitter at all, but I love how I can quickly and easily communicate with customers/co-workers. Others probably consider gaming the biggest deal, and then others probably do nothing but social things. The only way I'd agree with Nokia on this is that their design is the first to be really aesthetically pleasing and not the same old design. Metro is new and fresh, it's nice to see a body design that matches. HTC WP7 phones still look like the same old HTC, Samsung is the same as well, etc.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
The problem is, WP lags behind terribly on games as it is - both quantity and quality. Things are improving and there are some good titles, but I've yet to see a decent FPS on the platform, for example, while iOS and Android are dripping with them. Ditto integration - WP isn't getting the exclusive Mass Effect 3 tie ins, and doesn't even get exclusive Xbox title spinoffs or apps. Throw in comparably high prices, few sales, and games taking years to filter through to the platform and you don't have the most appealing recipe. The sole reason for a hardcore gamer to go for a Windows Phone is if they're obsessive about accumulating Xbox Live gamerpoints.

So basically, I don't think it's an issue for all the wrong reasons - because a gamer who wants a phone he/she can also play the best mobile games available on, from the widest range of mobile games, simply isn't going to buy a Windows Phone at this time anyway.

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I would have to disagree given that the OS is the same across the board. My HD7 is amazing with gaming and outlook for work. Could I say its the REAL windows phone. Could you say the monster Titan is a REAL windows phone, probably yes given its popularity. I agree we are behind iOS and Android in quantity but for me quality is alot better for me and more user friendly.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
But we're behind on quality too, in the sense of ground-breaking titles and sheer numbers of AAA games. There's no platform standout equivalent of Real Racing 2, Infinity Blade 2, Modern Combat 3 etc.

I hope Nokia's deal with EA produces some winners. But on the flipside, if they're weak ports I'll be very disappointed indeed.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
"The first REAL windows phone" ? ... whats that suppose to mean? lol ... 20th real WP maybe... lol

i use my phone to

- play games ,
- send text ,
- check e-mails.....
- once in a while i actually make a phone call....

and i check forums and stuff like that ...

and ims till on the Samsung FOCUS. works brilliantly. i wouldn't trade in my FIRST GEN WP for any Android/ play station phone .. lol ( witch FAILED btw .. they sold a phew on week oen and it stoped.)

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Though I guess it could be argued that Nokia is the first company to put forth a global effort to sell not just a Windows Phone but the Windows Phone brand.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs