Keyboard way too small for me

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
HI there,

Im trying out a wp7 focus flash and overall really like it alot, compared to fragged android and too expensive Iphone.

There is one thing I wish Microsoft had thought of, and that is the ridiculously small onscreen keyboard for texting. I really enjoy texting,and I have yet to see on phone get this right. Is there no way to customize this to adapt it to larger hands like mine, or does anyone know of anything like this being worked on whether in house or 3rd party ?

This is sorely needed, as I can't tell you how much I refuse to use this, given the typing mistakes that WILL happen, because my fingers are big enough to cover many keys at once,and it shows in the result.

I consider this very bad UI programming.

cheers
nl

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
i think u should sell ur focus flash and get a titan or wait for the 900, i don't think third party inputs are allowed yet (?)

based_graham

Oct 12, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately you cant resize the screen you might need a bigger laptop to get the keys right. Personally I find texting on Windows Phone the best I can even text without looking at my phone auto correction is that good.

What I would suggest is dont be too worried about spelling the word correctly just type to where you think the letters are located and auto correct will do the trick. Then you can just edit the sentence and send it off.

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
i think u should sell ur focus flash and get a titan or wait for the 900, i don't think third party inputs are allowed yet (?)
Don't feel like googling atm, I've done enough of it today :))..these devices have customizeable keyboards ?

Short of that, HM little else would provide adequate relief :)

thx
nl

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Unfortunately you cant resize the screen you might need a bigger laptop to get the keys right. Personally I find texting on Windows Phone the best I can even text without looking at my phone auto correction is that good.

What I would suggest is dont be too worried about spelling the word correctly just type to where you think the letters are located and auto correct will do the trick. Then you can just edit the sentence and send it off.

I mean in the field texting, not at home; texting is dynamic for me, not for thought out keyboard input ;)

The words are so badly misspelled, that I am positive ( and actual usage proves it) it will not autocorrect. The keys are too close together and too small to be useful for medium to large hands. I still think thats a really bad UI design, but I still love the phone. Android is not even a little tempting,but at least they have several alternative keyboards; wp7 could take a cue from that, given im sure, at least one other person besides myself, will have that issue. Big hands like to text too ya know , and a bit extra spacing BETWEEN the keys would solve this entirely.

cheers
nl

Major

Nov 1, 2011
Visit site
You need a bigger phone, or a phone with a physical keyboard. My Titan is considerably easier to text on than a Focus Flash. Go to a store and try it.

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I mean in the field texting, not at home; texting is dynamic for me, not for thought out keyboard input ;)

The words are so badly misspelled, that I am positive ( and actual usage proves it) it will not autocorrect. The keys are too close together and too small to be useful for medium to large hands. I still think thats a really bad UI design, but I still love the phone. Android is not even a little tempting,but at least they have several alternative keyboards; wp7 could take a cue from that, given im sure, at least one other person besides myself, will have that issue. Big hands like to text too ya know , and a bit extra spacing BETWEEN the keys would solve this entirely.

cheers
nl

I don't understand how a customizable keyboard will solve the problem. You say the keys are too small, yet they should add extra spacing in between the keys? How is this possible? Where will the extra space come from? You can't make the keyboard bigger than the size of the actual screen. I believe the solution is to get a phone with a larger screen.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
Christmas Card List 2012

Palandri
Big Supes
1jaxstate1
Winterfang
Dave Blake
speedtouch
ninjaap

;) :lol:

big_1849.jpg

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Don't feel like googling atm, I've done enough of it today :))..these devices have customizeable keyboards ?

Short of that, HM little else would provide adequate relief :)

thx
nl
lol, nah just the bigger screen would help, or u could get the arrive/trophy/venu pro/quatum for the physical keyboard...

may be speak to text? lol

@TheWeeBear
ahh... im not even on the list :p

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
You need a bigger phone, or a phone with a physical keyboard. My Titan is considerably easier to text on than a Focus Flash. Go to a store and try it.

Im not into phsyical keyboards, they just steal valuable thin real estate and are too heavy imho.

Next time I am in a store, I may look though, thx.

cheers
nl

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand how a customizable keyboard will solve the problem. You say the keys are too small, yet they should add extra spacing in between the keys? How is this possible? Where will the extra space come from? You can't make the keyboard bigger than the size of the actual screen. I believe the solution is to get a phone with a larger screen.

You've not seen some of A's custom apps then, there are some with much wider spaces between keys just for this, but sure it requires learning a new layout, which is fine to me.

There is plenty of room in the UI for extra spacing, both vertically and horizontally so thats a non issue.

A huge screen might help, but then thats a nightmare for mobility I think. I'll check something out in a store next time I'm there though.

thx
nl

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
how big is the focus flash screen size 3.7? maybe try landscape it might work better for you

Landscape is only marginally better , but still no replacement for a keyboard ( even if I waS into that, and Im not ) . Im surprised they would think that such a amazing phone would never see texting done on it.

Larger phones for me anyway could easily be a detrement due to mobility and volume, but sure the titan/HD7 would be a big improvement over focus 3.7" for that. Ill check it out in store sometime.

latre
nl

Umm Yeah

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
I'm 6'1 and over 300 lbs. I have big fat fingers. I can type easily and quickly on both my wife's HTC Trophy and even my BlackBerry 9850 Torch, using their full keyboards in portrait mode, by the Trophy was easier. I have found that you need to trust the predictive text to figure out what you're typing and not to stop part way through a word. Just barrel through it and if there are typos, go back afterward to correct them. The first day I had used a virtual keyboard, I was able to type "The quick brown fox..." and it only had one typo when I was done. Just don't give up. And trust me, WP has the BEST virtual keyboards.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
With above average (wide) fingers, little issue typing on on 3.8" screen. Definitely the best on-screen typing experience I have ever had. For the OP - Forget about the spacing between the keys. Microsoft has developed their keyboard to "guess" the letter you are trying to type. So, if you try to type a "G", but your fat fingers hit a few pressure points on F and H, and maybe even V, you will still get a G. And your kb learns the more you type. So stop fighting it. Although the Titan would probably make your life easier. That screen is huge.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I'm 6'1 and over 300 lbs. I have big fat fingers. I can type easily and quickly on both my wife's HTC Trophy and even my BlackBerry 9850 Torch, using their full keyboards in portrait mode, by the Trophy was easier. I have found that you need to trust the predictive text to figure out what you're typing and not to stop part way through a word. Just barrel through it and if there are typos, go back afterward to correct them. The first day I had used a virtual keyboard, I was able to type "The quick brown fox..." and it only had one typo when I was done. Just don't give up. And trust me, WP has the BEST virtual keyboards.

What this man said. Just go as fast as you can, or reasonably fast, and don't look for mistakes till the very end. You'll be amazed at how well it corrected what you typed, and a few quick word taps to replace and you'll be done. Then its just a matter of time to get better and better. I hand my phone to friends and say type as fast as you can, don't try to be accurate, and they are blown away by the result being so good. For the first time with WP7 I feel I can let go of a physical keyboard. But you have to let the auto correct do its job.

neighborlee

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site

I just don't see how that is physically possible, if your fingers are that big as mine are, you are going to hit at least 2 keys at once. Sometimes I get lucky, of course, but that is a major exception. Typiing at a slow speed, when Im a speed typer, is fine and even then I get jibberish on the screen. Having to go back and fix all that to me is in the category of, why bother. I have better things to waste my time on.

Short of that, wp7 is amazing and I'd not trade mine for anything else, minus yes a 4.7" screen making this issue MOOT chances are. AS noted I'll try one in the store sometime. I don't see how your able to type that accurtely in of all things portrait mode, as I have all but given up on that mode. Too small, no spaces. Im not going to try to do the impossible , but thx anyway ;) Show me a video of these fat fingers and your txt adeptness and I might be persuaded to try again LOL

cheers and thx for input,,I'll keep at it, but I dont' see the jibberish turning magically into full sentences. I'll take your advice and try and let the 'magic' do the hard work; if it works Ill be the first to go WOW lol..well here goes nothing----===-=-=

nl

gtg465x

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Dude, it's ok if your finger hits 5 keys at once. As long as the key you want is in the center of where you pressed, it will be the one selected. It sounds like you've never used a touchscreen based keyboard before. I can assure you, the various Android keyboards and the iPhone keyboard are no better. I've used them all extensively. One way or another you'll have to learn if you want a modern smartphone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss