Unable to see drafts or save new drafts in Gmail

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I have my Gmail account on my HD7. I have four drafts in my Gmail account. But when I go to the folder 'drafts' in the WP7 email app, there are no drafts there even though it says the folder is up-to-date. I have verified that I told the email app to download email from 'any time'. So I should be able to any and all drafts, right?

Also, I am unable to save a new draft to my Gmail draft folder. There's no button or anything I can see to hit while typing up an email in order to save a draft. Is this just not possible? I am running Mango 7720.

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Google has to be different then EVERY other email client in the world, just to be special.

There are NO folders in gmail, only filters. When you click a "folder" on the left, you are still in the same single folder, it now only shows those emails with that filter tag, in this case "draft".

In the end, it has no different effect on how you use the email; but google thinks it is revolutionary because you can have multiple filters on each email (which you still could regardless).

As a result, it just makes it more complicated for other software to interact with it.

That draft "folder" on your phone, is the actual draft folder on your phone. In your gmail, you drafts are still all in the one folder. So to see it on your phone, you go to the all mail folder on your phone.

Load email.
Ellipses (...)
Folders
All Mail

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Well, to be fair, Gmail labels really are wonderful. I could never go back to a non-label style email service. It's just so convenient.

However, I understand completely what you're saying. There really are no folders in Gmail, just labels placed on emails. It's amazing that even with Gmail in the top 5 or maybe 3 email providers, WP7 can't sync to it properly. Going to All Mail to see my Gmail drafts is a show-stopper for me. Actually, it's a deal-breaker for me and WP7. It hurts to say that!

I live in my Gmail. All my notes, to dos, links, thoughts to expand upon later, reminders, everything begins in Drafts and eventually I will take care of them and either delete them, or email them off. I can't live without being able to easily see my Drafts and easily create drafts in Gmail.

This is not good at all. Geez.

I appreciate your reply and the instructions. Your instructions work exactly as you said. I just wish there was a better way to see my Drafts "folder".

I still don't see a way to save a draft from the WP7 email app into Gmail. Are you aware of a way to do this?

Last edited:

enahs555

Feb 21, 2011
Visit site
Gmail labels are wonderful. I agree. But, they are really nothing but folder-less folders. If I moved everything into a folder called saved vs labeling everything saved and filtering by the saved label; it is the exact same end result for the user!

Gmail labels ARE folders, just implemented in an odd way.

You can try and go to gmail (website), go to settings, go to labels, and click show the specific label in IMAP if it is not already clicked.

But that only seems to actually work for certain labels, at least for me.
When I do that I can get some labels to come through, but not all. Not really sure why, and if it is the phone or gmail.

Jaer007ll

Feb 10, 2012
Visit site
As a result, it just makes it more complicated for other software to interact with it.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Gmail labels are wonderful. I agree. But, they are really nothing but folder-less folders. If I moved everything into a folder called saved vs labeling everything saved and filtering by the saved label; it is the exact same end result for the user!

Gmail labels ARE folders, just implemented in an odd way.

You can try and go to gmail (website), go to settings, go to labels, and click show the specific label in IMAP if it is not already clicked.

But that only seems to actually work for certain labels, at least for me.
When I do that I can get some labels to come through, but not all. Not really sure why, and if it is the phone or gmail.
You're right on all accounts.

I never knew about the "Show in IMAP" settings regarding labels. Sadly, all the appropriate ones were already enabled. So that's not the problem. Crap. I did some more searching through Bing and Google, it appears this is a Mango problem. Or at least this problem was not fixed in Mango. I read a review of Mango somewhere just now and the reviewer specifically mentioned the continuing inability to sync Gmail Drafts. Sheesh.

Well, it was a good dream. I thought WP7 would be absolutely perfect for me. And I was gearing up to get rid of Android, finally. Oh well...

Thanks for the input, enahs555.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro