Zune installer won't install...again

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I bought a Focus last summer off contract because I really liked the idea of WP7, and wanted to try it out. Problem was, zune refused to install. I kept getting error messages. In order to install, I had to extract the english installer out of the normal .exe, and run that. It worked for the most part. However, I ended up selling the focus when Mango came out, partly because I couldn't try Mango. The desktop version of Zune needed an update, and it wouldn't install, so no Mango for me, and NoDo was short of what I wanted.

Just bought a Titan, and again, the Zune PC client won't install. I get the same error message.

Can't find the media for installation package 'Zune'. It might be incomplete or corrupt. Error code: 0x800700002

Anyone had this issue and found a solution? It's incredibly annoying. Worse than iTunes.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
its because you have a problem with your WINDOWS OS on your PC.

it has nothing to do with ZUNE directly.

here are some Steps to fixing it (2min)

Advanced Computer User Solution (manual update):

1) Start your computer and log on as an administrator.

2) Click the Start button then select All Programs, Accessories, System Tools, and then click System Restore.

3) In the new window, select "Restore my computer to an earlier time" option and then click Next.

4) Select the most recent system restore point from the "On this list, click a restore point" list, and then click Next.

5) Click Next on the confirmation window.

6) Restarts the computer when the restoration is finished.

Novice Computer User Solution (completely automated):

1) Download (0x800700002) repair utility. : http://www.wiki-errors.com/download.php

2) Install program and click Scan button.

3) Click the Fix Errors button when scan is completed.

4) Restart your computer.

How does it work?

This tool will scan and diagnose, then repairs, your PC with patent pending technology that fix your windows operating system registry structure.
basic features: (repairs system freezing and rebooting issues , start-up customization , browser helper object management , program removal management , live updates , windows structure repair.)

hope this helps :)

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Thanks, I'll give it a go when I get home. However, why would Zune be the only think that cannot install, even though I've had this problem for at least 7 months at least now, with multiple other programs installed/uninstalled since?

Any ideas?

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
i think your problem has to do with the *update* part of your windows OS. and not actually installing programed.

when you instal zune , in the installation it also does updates , maybe thats where it froze up and gave you the error?

not sure to be honest

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
That program says it's not compatible with Windows 7, and I really don't want to restore to a 7 month old+ point. Thanks for the suggestions though!

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
I've installed Zune on Win7 32bit and 64bit without a hitch. It seems to be on your end. Is your Win7 fully updated? You could try running this: Malwarebytes : Free anti-malware, anti-virus and spyware removal download

Good luck to you. I hope you get it resolved.

Yes, everything is always kept up to date. It's an incompatibility somewhere. It seems microsoft did not make the installer very robust however. I posted this same thing on a different forum when I had the Focus, and a few other people had experienced it. I also talked to a T-Mobile rep when I was thinking about getting a Radar, and he said he got more than a few complaints about the same thing there too. Zune installer definitely doesn't seem as robust as it should be.

rturja

Feb 8, 2012
Visit site
Is the zune installer from Microsoft's site and recently downloaded?

Antivirus software may affect installation, so disabling realtime checking during install migt be an idea.

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
What version of windows are you running. If the off chance you are on XP, it must be at service pack 3, my friend has SP2 and cant use zune. Double check to make sure you have the most recent update to dot net framework. Another trick is to try and google an old version of Zune and install and let windows update it according. Make sure you an an administrator, or "run as admininstrator".

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
What version of windows are you running. If the off chance you are on XP, it must be at service pack 3, my friend has SP2 and cant use zune. Double check to make sure you have the most recent update to dot net framework. Another trick is to try and google an old version of Zune and install and let windows update it according. Make sure you an an administrator, or "run as admininstrator".

Windows 7 with the latest Service Pack.

if you look at bottom they have a * zune wont instal on W7* page..

mine worked but it seems to bug for some people

try here: Error message: "Zune software doesn't support Windows Service Pack 2" other trouble shooting option on that page as well.

SP2 wont work you need SP3 or more!!

Running in compatibility mode seems like it may have helped a little. It checked for updated before crashing this time, one step farther than before.

This link may also help.

You can

Direct from the microsoft knowledge base.

Thanks, I had already tried that page before posting here. Doesn't fix it for me. :/

blackhawk7188

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Is your DEP enabled in the advanced properties? I know this causes some problems with installers. I had this problem installing Sims when it was enabled. Is Zune available as an update from Microsoft Update when you referesh it?

E_man#CB

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Is your DEP enabled in the advanced properties? I know this causes some problems with installers. I had this problem installing Sims when it was enabled. Is Zune available as an update from Microsoft Update when you referesh it?

DEP is set as low as it goes (which is the default), where it only sets DEP for certain microsoft programs.

Also, Zune is available as an update, but the update fails like the normal zune install. In fact, I'm fairly certain it IS the same.

Edit: I was trying to avoid this, since this caused problems last time when I was trying to install an update. If I extract the ZuneSetupPkg.exe, there is a startzune.exe at the root of the installer. Double click on that, it works fine. That was actually better than last time. I had to find the x64 en-us .msi. It's gotten past the checking for updates (never did before) and just finished installing the software.

If something as "simple" as extracting one .exe and using the top level .exe inside it is the solution, there should not be a problem at all.

Last edited:

Prokyz

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site
Re: Zune installer won't install...Windows 7 N

Hi all,
I've run to similar difficulties now when trying to install Zune. The message I've got was the message ?The media for installation package Windows Media Format SDK couldn't be found. It might be incomplete or corrupt.?

Zune installer offered me the page with troubleshooting steps, however these were not a help. After I was digging into a realized that the problem is the version of Windows - I have a Windows 7 N version. N versions are lacking the media support (Win Media Player, etc.) So there is an option to download the Windows Media Format support for these N (or KN) versions from Microsoft Download Center - under title "Media Feature Pack for Windows 7 N".

I think the N versions are rare, so it perhaps won't be the problem for majority of users. But hopefully if there is someone running into the same issues, this might help him.

Regards,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo