Samsung Focus USB connection issue

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
This starting happening last night and I have had this Samsung syncing with no probles until last night. I connect the Focus and windows 7 trys to instlal a device driver (why?) and then comes up with the message that there was a error installing the device.

When I go to device manager the device in the USB section is in error code 42. If I uninstall the driver from the driver tab in the properites, un-plug the phone and plug it back in it is recognized as a windows phone and it works just great syncing in the zune software.

Now if I unplug, and plug back in again, same problem, repeat prevous step and works again. I think somehow the usb enumerator thinks there is another driver for my samsung focus and is attemping to apply that driver thus giving the error code 42.

I followed all the recomendations from Microsoft, Un-install Zune, Re-Install Zune, and the harsh Reset Your Phone. Still no luck.

Does anyone else have recomendations on how to resolve this?

Thanks..

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
It seems like a problem with your USB drivers. Right click on the driver that's giving you the error and click update driver. Then it will ask you if it can use windows update. Say yes then the driver should update and fix your problem.
Note: You have to do this in device manager.

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
It seems like a problem with your USB drivers. Right click on the driver that's giving you the error and click update driver. Then it will ask you if it can use windows update. Say yes then the driver should update and fix your problem.
Note: You have to do this in device manager.
Yes I understand that there is a driver issue and it's assigning the wrong driver to my windows phone when the USB bus is enumerated. The solution is to remove the driver from the system that Widnows 7 keeps assigning but I don't know how to identify and remove the offending driver from the system.

I'm still poking though the registry but I am sure I will find it over the next week :-(

KarateDad

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I have a 10 port USB hub on my desk, and 3 of the ports do that, the other 7 are OK. And it isn't just my WP that it does it to, the ports seem to have gone bad. When I got it, all 10 worked....

RonV42

Jun 8, 2011
Visit site
Problem solved. Apparently Garmin's automatic update installed their USB drivers again which Windows 7 doesn't need. I un-installed their driver package and problem solved. All I can think of is that the bus enumerator was applying the Garmin driver to my Windows phone while it initialized the device vs. the Zune composite device for the Samsung Focus.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
And that's what I really dislike USB. Connect up to 64 devices my ***. As soon as you get up around 5-6, all **** breaks loose. And make sure you always plug the same device into the same port, although they are all supposed to be the same. I have a drawer full of USB hubs that worked fine for awhile, then.....who knows. Glad you got your problem figured out though.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99