Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

Falling in love

HP Envy 34 review: An ultrawide curved all-in-one after my heart

2015 machine in 2017?

Surface 3 still holds its own in 2017

Let Kodi cut your cord

You should be using Kodi for Windows 10

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 35
Like Tree23Likes
  1. Musicjunkie0210's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    I love my damn phone. I've defended my phone with my near-disrespectful debating skills to the gritty death against android and iOS users countless times on a daily basis, (I refrain from arguing online since its useless.) However, despite constantly swaying the votes and opinions towards pro-WP7; even I have some gripes that I seriously need addresses right away. For some reason, even my a few of my fellow WP7 people here criticize my arguments for some reason. The biggest example comes from those who don't understand why my need for a device with more than 16GB of storage is enough. Guys, just because you don't listen to music, or record videos, or take photos as much as some of us, does not mean that we're crying and whining when we complain. We really need the storage space. I've got 56GBs of music on my laptops hard drive which I've kept meticulously organized and listen to ALL THE TIME. I feel that WP7 and its awesome music player and cool Zune software are a fit for me but when I only have 16 GBs to work with and have to constantly play the "Survivor" sacrifice game with my albums, it gets really really annoying. Where do I need to go to petition for bigger storage spaces? I can't do this 16GB crap any longer. And no I wont go to iOS. Ive already got an iPad 2 but its music player and my iTunes software is crap compared to my phone and Zune. As soon as this storage issue is solved, I will be in cellular Nirvana, which after using an iPhone, Blackberry, Palm, and finally HD7, I've still yet to achieve
    wolf1891, willied and Stryfeno1 like this.
  2. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    I agree with you. You can complain here no problem, I myself do it a lot. No one has being banned from complaining with their real problems, of course someone will argue against it, this is why this are discussion boards.

    Also, use paragraphs, wall of text are pretty difficult to read, specially while on the phone.
    Musicjunkie0210 likes this.
  3. Reflexx's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4,483 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #3  
    Banned! Both of you!

    :P
  4. threed61's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    368 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    How dare you aspire for more from your cellphone!!!!! ;)
    aubreyq and Musicjunkie0210 like this.
  5. Winterfang's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    3,541 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,764 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Winning Guy View Post
    Banned! Both of you!

    :P
    Not on Ash Wednesday!!
  6. ljkelley's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    219 Posts
    Global Posts
    229 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Well here is a hint that can help. Is alot of your music at 320kbps? You can have Zune auto convert it down to 128kpbs when you sync it to your phone. That will allow you to fit more music on your phone.

    Hopefully Nokia will come with 64GB soon, but I understand their current focus and for most 16GB is more than enough.

    I think the problem is expecting too much and complaing about the same thing over and over. Especially when you used by outsiders to critcisize WP7. So yes we become defensive.

    You have to realize that anything above 32GB+ Music collection is out of the norm. And you cann't listen to that in a week, let alone a day.
  7. Matthew Mazzenga's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    MS needs to give us more storage on Skydrive for music, and then make said music accessible via Zune.

    In the meantime, might I suggest putting all of your music on Google Music (20,000 songs stored for free) and then install the Gooroovster app from the Marketplace. The app syncs with Google Music and voila! All of your music at your fingertips!

    If you have moral issues with using a Google service, just think it's hopefully only temporary until MS gets us a better solution. Put your pride away and enjoy your music. :)
  8. cedarlog's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    386 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    you are correct we need more storage mooooooooore but we will have to wait for some reason or another

    try here maybe
    Contact Us | Windows Phone Mobile Operators, Manufacturers | Microsoft Windows Phone 7
  9. jabtano's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    613 Posts
    Global Posts
    666 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    That is the one thing I could never figure out the 16gb cap..it's like when Bill Gates said that no one would need more than 4mb of ram on a pc.......poof
  10. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    32GB is a must for me... and I'm willing to pay for it.
  11. Musicjunkie0210's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #11  
    The only argument I cringe everytime someone it brings up is when ppl defend WP7 by saying its still too new. That may very well apply to software, but not hardware. If I started a football team this year, of course we wouldnt have any experience against the other teams, but I wouldnt be giving them leather helmets either you know?
  12. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    Most of my WP "issues" are nitpicks - I have a phone that does most things I want, and does them well most of the time. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I've had more nitpicks - and more nitpicks about critical stuff - with WP than I have with iOS. The (lack of) backup/restore issue needs sorting ASAP, lack of wifi sync and disparity of function between Mac and PC software needs sorting, the games situation is still poor (Splinter Cell good, fact that a 1-2 year old iOS port is pretty much the ONLY 3D third-person shooter on the whole system and is arguably the most technically advanced game is laughably bad), and core app sync needs to be improved. Six or seven times this week I've checked my mail, then checked it seconds later and messages that should have appeared the first time suddenly download the second time. Why do I check it seconds later? Because I don't trust the mail app anymore.

    But I'm most disappointed by the flat out unreliability of my Lumia. It shuts down occasionally. It won't start up again occasionally. It needs soft resets occasionally. The battery life can be great one day, awful the next. The camera is utterly schizophrenic in performance and in video mode is downright useless on occasion. There are strange omissions in functionality - a phone with great music features but no equalizer controls, and a phone widely available off contract still with no tethering option.

    Despite all this, I still like my phone and like the OS. But I'm getting bored of "just wait until...". Stuff needs fixing faster, and really things need to be less buggy to start with. And just tell us, MS, for definite, what phones will upgrade to WP8. I don't care what people on forums expect to be the case, or that it'd be "crazy" for MS not to do this, or "crazy" for Nokia to launch handsets with built-in obsolescence within 6 months of launch. I want it from the horse's mouth - because the longer nothing is said, the more inclined I am to believe that it is because they know there are some people who won't be happy with what they hear.
    aubreyq and threed61 like this.
  13. aubreyq's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,245 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,267 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by LJKelley View Post
    Well here is a hint that can help. Is alot of your music at 320kbps? You can have Zune auto convert it down to 128kpbs when you sync it to your phone. That will allow you to fit more music on your phone.
    That sacrifices quality and some people are not willing to do that.

    Quote Originally Posted by LJKelley View Post
    You have to realize that anything above 32GB+ Music collection is out of the norm.
    Out of the norm based on what? How did you make that determination?
    Quote Originally Posted by LJKelley View Post
    And you cann't listen to that in a week, let alone a day.
    It's not about listening to the music collection in a week, a day, or a month. It's about availability; having it there waiting for you whenever you are in the mood for a specific song or album.

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Mazzenga View Post
    In the meantime, might I suggest putting all of your music on Google Music (20,000 songs stored for free) and then install the Gooroovster app from the Marketplace. The app syncs with Google Music and voila! All of your music at your fingertips!
    All of your music at your fingertips...as long as you have a WiFi or data connection available. Perhaps the OP has a 300MB data plan or doesn't have WiFi at a particular place? What good will cloud-based music be in that situation?

    Quote Originally Posted by jabtano View Post
    That is the one thing I could never figure out the 16gb cap..it's like when Bill Gates said that no one would need more than 4mb of ram on a pc.......poof
    I thought Bill Gates said no one would never need more than 640K.

    Quote Originally Posted by Big Supes View Post
    32GB is a must for me... and I'm willing to pay for it.
    So am I ;)
    wolf1891 and threed61 like this.
  14. massifheed's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    117 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Storage sizes on WP is something I've never been able to figure out. I know the price of memory fluctuates quite a bit, and it's not as cheap at the moment as it used to be. But there are a lot of 8GB phones out there. Why not stick 20 on the handset price and give it twice the amount of storage?

    Likewise 16GB phones. Just charge a (relatively) small amount more and double the memory. I'm pretty sure no-one would complain about a small cost increase to buy the phone with the trade-off being a really useable amount of memory.

    One thing that I really like about WP & the Zune software is that Zune is pretty good at organizing videos. I convert all my DVDs to MP4s to play in Media Centre and stream to my Xbox. I like that Zune lets me organise these well (adding all the info that I want) and I can sync them with my phone to watch when I'm out (also works great with Media Centre recorded TV!). But I have 8GB in my Omnia 7. So, after the modest amount of albums I have on my phone, and pictures, I get room for a couple of TV shows, or one decent-length movie.

    That's pretty rubbish really. It seems such a waste given that, IMO at least, I think WP/Zune is a great media device. It's just crippled by low storage amounts. And the nuts part about it is that it needn't be. Just charge a bit more for the handsets, and add more storage!
    aubreyq likes this.
  15. jimski's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2,254 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,259 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    There is more than the cost of memory to account for. Changeover on assembly lines. Different packaging. Labeling. Multiple SKUs. I don't need more than 16GB, but to quiet those that do, each OEM should offer one (or two) models with expanded memory, using the iPhone model; +$100 for 32MB, +$200 for 64MB.
    Sounds fair to me.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
  16. Big Supes's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,698 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    Most of my WP "issues" are nitpicks - I have a phone that does most things I want, and does them well most of the time. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I've had more nitpicks - and more nitpicks about critical stuff - with WP than I have with iOS. The (lack of) backup/restore issue needs sorting ASAP, lack of wifi sync and disparity of function between Mac and PC software needs sorting, the games situation is still poor (Splinter Cell good, fact that a 1-2 year old iOS port is pretty much the ONLY 3D third-person shooter on the whole system and is arguably the most technically advanced game is laughably bad), and core app sync needs to be improved. Six or seven times this week I've checked my mail, then checked it seconds later and messages that should have appeared the first time suddenly download the second time. Why do I check it seconds later? Because I don't trust the mail app anymore.

    But I'm most disappointed by the flat out unreliability of my Lumia. It shuts down occasionally. It won't start up again occasionally. It needs soft resets occasionally. The battery life can be great one day, awful the next. The camera is utterly schizophrenic in performance and in video mode is downright useless on occasion. There are strange omissions in functionality - a phone with great music features but no equalizer controls, and a phone widely available off contract still with no tethering option.

    Despite all this, I still like my phone and like the OS. But I'm getting bored of "just wait until...". Stuff needs fixing faster, and really things need to be less buggy to start with. And just tell us, MS, for definite, what phones will upgrade to WP8. I don't care what people on forums expect to be the case, or that it'd be "crazy" for MS not to do this, or "crazy" for Nokia to launch handsets with built-in obsolescence within 6 months of launch. I want it from the horse's mouth - because the longer nothing is said, the more inclined I am to believe that it is because they know there are some people who won't be happy with what they hear.
    Microsoft could do a lot worse than act upon this post.
    wolf1891 and aubreyq like this.
  17. Musicjunkie0210's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    79 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by jimski View Post
    There is more than the cost of memory to account for. Changeover on assembly lines. Different packaging. Labeling. Multiple SKUs. I don't need more than 16GB, but to quiet those that do, each OEM should offer one (or two) models with expanded memory, using the iPhone model; +$100 for 32MB, +$200 for 64MB.
    Sounds fair to me.

    Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express
    Or just give us a specific device made just for us media users since they love making low end phones for people just now getting into the smartphone world and mid range phones for people who dont want to spend much
  18. selfcreation's Avatar
    Retired Moderator

    Posts
    3,288 Posts
    Global Posts
    3,304 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    If you would like to leave Feed back to MS directly here is where you do it:

    Feature Suggestions: Hot (10058 ideas)

    it posted in my Signature Thread!!! make sure to take a look their if your looking for information or useful links :)
  19. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Se1fcr3ation View Post
    If you would like to leave Feed back to MS directly here is where you do it:

    Feature Suggestions: Hot (10058 ideas)

    it posted in my Signature Thread!!! make sure to take a look their if your looking for information or useful links :)
    While the feedback thing is useful, to be honest I feel we really shouldn't have to do it for a lot of things. I mean, how obvious is it that fixing bugs quickly is good, or that phones with a lot of music features should have even basic sound options?

    The MS attitude to WP features and fixes seems to be "we'll get around to that". Which is an odd approach for the company playing catch-up.
    aubreyq likes this.
  20. svtfmook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    the reason it's unnecessary is because everyone is going to cloud storage and streaming. i would rather stream and keep the device cost down.

    but i believe 3rd gen devices will have more storage.
  21. svtfmook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    While the feedback thing is useful, to be honest I feel we really shouldn't have to do it for a lot of things. I mean, how obvious is it that fixing bugs quickly is good, or that phones with a lot of music features should have even basic sound options?

    The MS attitude to WP features and fixes seems to be "we'll get around to that". Which is an odd approach for the company playing catch-up.
    not at all. microsoft has been awesome with updates. a lot of people don't realize that a company cannot just make a change and release it. it has to go through a design, alpha, beta, rtm, legal approval then deployment. these things take time.

    i would rather wait for these things then have updates that make things worse.
  22. wolf1891's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    354 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by svtfmook View Post
    the reason it's unnecessary is because everyone is going to cloud storage and streaming. i would rather stream and keep the device cost down.

    but i believe 3rd gen devices will have more storage.
    when I can be guaranteed full signal strength ANYWHERE in this country with no monthly data caps... THEN and only will I accept this idea that we can just store all of our stuff in the "cloud" instead of on our phones. But, since we are nowhere near that currently then I'm going to have to ask all of those nice people who keep insisting that I don't need storage space on my phone to please shut up. You may not feel a need for more storage space and you may hav a personal situation that allows you to use cloud storage regularly/dependably but, there are plenty of us who are not so fortunate so stop telling us what we need when you clearly do no know what we need.
  23. Pronk's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    745 Posts
    Global Posts
    812 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by svtfmook View Post
    not at all. microsoft has been awesome with updates. ... these things take time.

    i would rather wait for these things then have updates that make things worse.
    Really? Because my Lumia 800 - the alleged "flagship device", at least here in Europe - still has a ropey camera, still has bugs, still has no sound equalizer (and HTC phones do, so not impossible by any means), still doesn't have tethering, still has odd battery behaviour after 2 updates, still has a Mail app that seems to just plain forget to sync some emails sometimes, still has a "Me" tile that now and again takes the day off for no apparent reason, and has been on the market 5 months now.

    I have waited AND had updates that have made things worse - or at least, no better. But the point is some of these things that are oversights should have ALWAYS been in there, or at least been put in place in Mango.

    Like I say, the whole "just wait until..." thing is getting old. I don't want to be excited about getting feature parity and bug fixes - I want to be excited about brand new features no one else has.
  24. svtfmook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by Pronk View Post
    Really? Because my Lumia 800 - the alleged "flagship device", at least here in Europe - still has a ropey camera, still has bugs, still has no sound equalizer (and HTC phones do, so not impossible by any means), still doesn't have tethering, still has odd battery behaviour after 2 updates, still has a Mail app that seems to just plain forget to sync some emails sometimes, still has a "Me" tile that now and again takes the day off for no apparent reason, and has been on the market 5 months now.

    I have waited AND had updates that have made things worse - or at least, no better. But the point is some of these things that are oversights should have ALWAYS been in there, or at least been put in place in Mango.

    Like I say, the whole "just wait until..." thing is getting old. I don't want to be excited about getting feature parity and bug fixes - I want to be excited about brand new features no one else has.
    seriously, the 800 has been out for how long now? 3-4 months? you're not going to see an update that quick on any platform.

    it doesn't have the htc sound EQ, but neither does any phone other than HTC. that's why it's called HTC sound EQ. that's like complaining that your nokia doesn't have the HTC hub.
  25. svtfmook's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    76 Posts
    Global Posts
    84 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by wolf1891 View Post
    when I can be guaranteed full signal strength ANYWHERE in this country with no monthly data caps... THEN and only will I accept this idea that we can just store all of our stuff in the "cloud" instead of on our phones. But, since we are nowhere near that currently then I'm going to have to ask all of those nice people who keep insisting that I don't need storage space on my phone to please shut up. You may not feel a need for more storage space and you may hav a personal situation that allows you to use cloud storage regularly/dependably but, there are plenty of us who are not so fortunate so stop telling us what we need when you clearly do no know what we need.
    honestly though, you can't blame MS or wp7 because of your need for over 16gb of storage.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions