Where can WP7 fanboys go to complain?

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I love my damn phone. I've defended my phone with my near-disrespectful debating skills to the gritty death against android and iOS users countless times on a daily basis, (I refrain from arguing online since its useless.) However, despite constantly swaying the votes and opinions towards pro-WP7; even I have some gripes that I seriously need addresses right away. For some reason, even my a few of my fellow WP7 people here criticize my arguments for some reason. The biggest example comes from those who don't understand why my need for a device with more than 16GB of storage is enough. Guys, just because you don't listen to music, or record videos, or take photos as much as some of us, does not mean that we're crying and whining when we complain. We really need the storage space. I've got 56GBs of music on my laptops hard drive which I've kept meticulously organized and listen to ALL THE TIME. I feel that WP7 and its awesome music player and cool Zune software are a fit for me but when I only have 16 GBs to work with and have to constantly play the "Survivor" sacrifice game with my albums, it gets really really annoying. Where do I need to go to petition for bigger storage spaces? I can't do this 16GB crap any longer. And no I wont go to iOS. Ive already got an iPad 2 but its music player and my iTunes software is crap compared to my phone and Zune. As soon as this storage issue is solved, I will be in cellular Nirvana, which after using an iPhone, Blackberry, Palm, and finally HD7, I've still yet to achieve

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I agree with you. You can complain here no problem, I myself do it a lot. No one has being banned from complaining with their real problems, of course someone will argue against it, this is why this are discussion boards.

Also, use paragraphs, wall of text are pretty difficult to read, specially while on the phone.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Well here is a hint that can help. Is alot of your music at 320kbps? You can have Zune auto convert it down to 128kpbs when you sync it to your phone. That will allow you to fit more music on your phone.

Hopefully Nokia will come with 64GB soon, but I understand their current focus and for most 16GB is more than enough.

I think the problem is expecting too much and complaing about the same thing over and over. Especially when you used by outsiders to critcisize WP7. So yes we become defensive.

You have to realize that anything above 32GB+ Music collection is out of the norm. And you cann't listen to that in a week, let alone a day.

Matthew Mazzenga

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
MS needs to give us more storage on Skydrive for music, and then make said music accessible via Zune.

In the meantime, might I suggest putting all of your music on Google Music (20,000 songs stored for free) and then install the Gooroovster app from the Marketplace. The app syncs with Google Music and voila! All of your music at your fingertips!

If you have moral issues with using a Google service, just think it's hopefully only temporary until MS gets us a better solution. Put your pride away and enjoy your music. :)

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
That is the one thing I could never figure out the 16gb cap..it's like when Bill Gates said that no one would need more than 4mb of ram on a pc.......poof

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The only argument I cringe everytime someone it brings up is when ppl defend WP7 by saying its still too new. That may very well apply to software, but not hardware. If I started a football team this year, of course we wouldnt have any experience against the other teams, but I wouldnt be giving them leather helmets either you know?

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
Most of my WP "issues" are nitpicks - I have a phone that does most things I want, and does them well most of the time. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I've had more nitpicks - and more nitpicks about critical stuff - with WP than I have with iOS. The (lack of) backup/restore issue needs sorting ASAP, lack of wifi sync and disparity of function between Mac and PC software needs sorting, the games situation is still poor (Splinter Cell good, fact that a 1-2 year old iOS port is pretty much the ONLY 3D third-person shooter on the whole system and is arguably the most technically advanced game is laughably bad), and core app sync needs to be improved. Six or seven times this week I've checked my mail, then checked it seconds later and messages that should have appeared the first time suddenly download the second time. Why do I check it seconds later? Because I don't trust the mail app anymore.

But I'm most disappointed by the flat out unreliability of my Lumia. It shuts down occasionally. It won't start up again occasionally. It needs soft resets occasionally. The battery life can be great one day, awful the next. The camera is utterly schizophrenic in performance and in video mode is downright useless on occasion. There are strange omissions in functionality - a phone with great music features but no equalizer controls, and a phone widely available off contract still with no tethering option.

Despite all this, I still like my phone and like the OS. But I'm getting bored of "just wait until...". Stuff needs fixing faster, and really things need to be less buggy to start with. And just tell us, MS, for definite, what phones will upgrade to WP8. I don't care what people on forums expect to be the case, or that it'd be "crazy" for MS not to do this, or "crazy" for Nokia to launch handsets with built-in obsolescence within 6 months of launch. I want it from the horse's mouth - because the longer nothing is said, the more inclined I am to believe that it is because they know there are some people who won't be happy with what they hear.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Well here is a hint that can help. Is alot of your music at 320kbps? You can have Zune auto convert it down to 128kpbs when you sync it to your phone. That will allow you to fit more music on your phone.
That sacrifices quality and some people are not willing to do that.

You have to realize that anything above 32GB+ Music collection is out of the norm.
Out of the norm based on what? How did you make that determination?
And you cann't listen to that in a week, let alone a day.
It's not about listening to the music collection in a week, a day, or a month. It's about availability; having it there waiting for you whenever you are in the mood for a specific song or album.

In the meantime, might I suggest putting all of your music on Google Music (20,000 songs stored for free) and then install the Gooroovster app from the Marketplace. The app syncs with Google Music and voila! All of your music at your fingertips!
All of your music at your fingertips...as long as you have a WiFi or data connection available. Perhaps the OP has a 300MB data plan or doesn't have WiFi at a particular place? What good will cloud-based music be in that situation?

That is the one thing I could never figure out the 16gb cap..it's like when Bill Gates said that no one would need more than 4mb of ram on a pc.......poof
I thought Bill Gates said no one would never need more than 640K.

32GB is a must for me... and I'm willing to pay for it.
So am I ;)

massifheed

Aug 23, 2011
Visit site
Storage sizes on WP is something I've never been able to figure out. I know the price of memory fluctuates quite a bit, and it's not as cheap at the moment as it used to be. But there are a lot of 8GB phones out there. Why not stick ?20 on the handset price and give it twice the amount of storage?

Likewise 16GB phones. Just charge a (relatively) small amount more and double the memory. I'm pretty sure no-one would complain about a small cost increase to buy the phone with the trade-off being a really useable amount of memory.

One thing that I really like about WP & the Zune software is that Zune is pretty good at organizing videos. I convert all my DVDs to MP4s to play in Media Centre and stream to my Xbox. I like that Zune lets me organise these well (adding all the info that I want) and I can sync them with my phone to watch when I'm out (also works great with Media Centre recorded TV!). But I have 8GB in my Omnia 7. So, after the modest amount of albums I have on my phone, and pictures, I get room for a couple of TV shows, or one decent-length movie.

That's pretty rubbish really. It seems such a waste given that, IMO at least, I think WP/Zune is a great media device. It's just crippled by low storage amounts. And the nuts part about it is that it needn't be. Just charge a bit more for the handsets, and add more storage!

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
There is more than the cost of memory to account for. Changeover on assembly lines. Different packaging. Labeling. Multiple SKUs. I don't need more than 16GB, but to quiet those that do, each OEM should offer one (or two) models with expanded memory, using the iPhone model; +$100 for 32MB, +$200 for 64MB.
Sounds fair to me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Most of my WP "issues" are nitpicks - I have a phone that does most things I want, and does them well most of the time. But I'd be lying if I didn't say I've had more nitpicks - and more nitpicks about critical stuff - with WP than I have with iOS. The (lack of) backup/restore issue needs sorting ASAP, lack of wifi sync and disparity of function between Mac and PC software needs sorting, the games situation is still poor (Splinter Cell good, fact that a 1-2 year old iOS port is pretty much the ONLY 3D third-person shooter on the whole system and is arguably the most technically advanced game is laughably bad), and core app sync needs to be improved. Six or seven times this week I've checked my mail, then checked it seconds later and messages that should have appeared the first time suddenly download the second time. Why do I check it seconds later? Because I don't trust the mail app anymore.

But I'm most disappointed by the flat out unreliability of my Lumia. It shuts down occasionally. It won't start up again occasionally. It needs soft resets occasionally. The battery life can be great one day, awful the next. The camera is utterly schizophrenic in performance and in video mode is downright useless on occasion. There are strange omissions in functionality - a phone with great music features but no equalizer controls, and a phone widely available off contract still with no tethering option.

Despite all this, I still like my phone and like the OS. But I'm getting bored of "just wait until...". Stuff needs fixing faster, and really things need to be less buggy to start with. And just tell us, MS, for definite, what phones will upgrade to WP8. I don't care what people on forums expect to be the case, or that it'd be "crazy" for MS not to do this, or "crazy" for Nokia to launch handsets with built-in obsolescence within 6 months of launch. I want it from the horse's mouth - because the longer nothing is said, the more inclined I am to believe that it is because they know there are some people who won't be happy with what they hear.

Microsoft could do a lot worse than act upon this post.

Musicjunkie0210

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
There is more than the cost of memory to account for. Changeover on assembly lines. Different packaging. Labeling. Multiple SKUs. I don't need more than 16GB, but to quiet those that do, each OEM should offer one (or two) models with expanded memory, using the iPhone model; +$100 for 32MB, +$200 for 64MB.
Sounds fair to me.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Or just give us a specific device made just for us media users since they love making low end phones for people just now getting into the smartphone world and mid range phones for people who dont want to spend much

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
If you would like to leave Feed back to MS directly here is where you do it:

Feature Suggestions: Hot (10058 ideas)

it posted in my Signature Thread!!! make sure to take a look their if your looking for information or useful links :)

While the feedback thing is useful, to be honest I feel we really shouldn't have to do it for a lot of things. I mean, how obvious is it that fixing bugs quickly is good, or that phones with a lot of music features should have even basic sound options?

The MS attitude to WP features and fixes seems to be "we'll get around to that". Which is an odd approach for the company playing catch-up.

svtfmook

Dec 9, 2011
Visit site
the reason it's unnecessary is because everyone is going to cloud storage and streaming. i would rather stream and keep the device cost down.

but i believe 3rd gen devices will have more storage.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills