Sync music from external drive?

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Such a simple concept, yet, why is the Zune software not allowing me to? Seems like it should from this link..

Adding media from external drives | Zune.net

I'm trying to copy music from an external drive (Palm Pre in usb mode) to a Nokia 710. Latest Zune software installed and whenever I go to add a new location for Zune to monitor I get "This folder can't be included because it is on a removable drive."

Will future updates get usb mode too for windows phones? I don't like depending on software to copy and paste for me for reasons like this.

Last edited:

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
I ended up giving up on this too, the Zune software is terrible, you can't even just play content, you have to add it to your library. And if you have it on an external drive that's a nightmare.

I manage mine through OSX now with the WP7 Connector, works great.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
We (U.S.) have gone a little crazy with DRM and DMCA. I buy all all music and I fully support artist getting paid for their work, but it's getting a little crazy. I went to back up files on my Vista computer, it refused my request, and I was read the riot act by my computer for trying to copy copyrighted material. The copyrighted material was a free PC game demo I forgot to delete from my download folder.

I was buying music through Amazon before getting my WP7 and Zune. I downloaded the music to my external esata hard drive. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

Last edited:

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
I downloaded the music to my external esata hard drive. So far I haven't had any problems with it.

Drives connected by eSata is essentially an internal drive, whereas a sata over usb connection is external, but why this limitation is a mystery.

Thanks for the tip exomondo - the program looks clean and simple. Let's hope with WP v8, they revisit the Zune software too.

I just copied all 6gb of music I had on my Palm Pre to my desktop, pointed Zune to this temporary drive and then sync. Deleted the folder. True nonsense on MS part. WM 6 sucked (had the Palm 800w), hope I don't regret moving from WebOS back to Windows :) But so far, this is probably the only true disappoint, thanks guys.

Exomondo

Jan 13, 2011
Visit site
Glad that helped, it's unfortunate they didn't do WP7 Connector for Windows though.

The idea of the Zune software is good but the execution is just not quite there, it's not intuitive. Kind of like the convoluted process of creating playlists on the device. They've done a lot of great stuff with WP7 but clearly there's still plenty of room for improvement.

bananapeal

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I have this problem too. My SSD laptop forces me to have music on external drive. Focus flash is going back to the store asap if stuff like this keeps happening!

Nevermind that skydrive is practically useless!

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Thanks bananapeal!

I was able to see my phone as a usb drive. I see what you mean about the music being in a specific folder and file naming convention.

The good part is that dropping in a jpg photo into the \Pictures\ (folder where other photos I've take appear) \ works so I can quickly move photos over directly from my Palm Pre and copy photos off the phone without any software. Thanks again.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon