Buy 7.5 Mango or wait for Apollo 8?

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
I have had an available upgrade since November and am really anxious to upgrade my phone. I was wondering what you all would do in my situation or what you plan to do as far as buy a new Windows 7.5 phone this month (Titan II or Lumia 900) or wait for Windows 8 Apollo (Not until 4Q). I figure if I buy a phone now I'll be able to upgrade again 2 years from now and not have to wait til 4Q and be able to upgrade again 4Q 2014. What do you think? Will the upgrade be so revolutionary that waiting another (5-8) months is worth it?
Another thing is that I'm going off to college this summer and really need a high end phone to find my way around campus (UVA or Rice undecided ;) )

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I have had an available upgrade since November and am really anxious to upgrade my phone. I was wondering what you all would do in my situation or what you plan to do as far as buy a new Windows 7.5 phone this month (Titan II or Lumia 900) or wait for Windows 8 Apollo (Not until 4Q). I figure if I buy a phone now I'll be able to upgrade again 2 years from now and not have to wait til 4Q and be able to upgrade again 4Q 2014. What do you think? Will the upgrade be so revolutionary that waiting another (5-8) months is worth it?
Another thing is that I'm going off to college this summer and really need a high end phone to find my way around campus (UVA or Rice undecided ;) )

What phone you have today? If you chose to get one now, go for the lumia 900. Nokia has many good unique apps like Nokia drive, maps

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Grab the Lumia 900 (once released), HTC Titan II or Samsung Focus S and start enjoying. There's always something else down the road. If you continuously wait for the best thing you will wait forever.

My O.G. Focus still runs like butter. Couldn't recommend this platform enough to most folks.

Personally I'd recommend the Lumia 900. Not just because I prefer its build design/quality, but the Nokia services/apps are also excellent. Nokia Drive, Nokia Transport, Nokia Reader ect.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
At the moment nothing has been officialy announced regarding "Apollo". Nobody can say for sure if existing phones will be upgraded or not. If you can wait 6 months then do so, otherwise if there is an upgrade path, it is most likely going to be with the Nokia phones. In your case I would buy a cheaper second hand unlocked phone to keep me going untill things are much clearer. Then use the upgrade for a Wp8 phone. If you can't wait then the Nokia Lumia 900 is the safe bet.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
What phone you have today? If you chose to get one now, go for the lumia 900. Nokia has many good unique apps like Nokia drive, maps
This may change things: the phone I have now is a Samsung Mythic. And i can't stand it. (I was 16 and my parents didn't want to get me a smartphone). I've gotten a lot in to electronics in the past few years so that's why I'm so interested in phones. Unfortunately, I'm not sure I can spare a few 100 dollars for a few months until I can upgrade with college coming up. I think I'll buy either the Lumia 900, Focus S, or Titan II pending on upcoming reviews, what you guys think of the phones, and of course some hands on time.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
otherwise if there is an upgrade path, it is most likely going to be with the Nokia phones.

and how do you know this? You don't so why post it?

For the op I think you can't go wrong with either of those 3, just depends on if you want a super large screen or a high quality screen.

AlexanderPD

Feb 25, 2012
Visit site
What about taking a nokia 900 now and sell it when wp8 comes out? Yeah you will lose a bit money but you'll have a great phone now and a wp8 in 6-8 months ;)

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Get hands on. You'll be great with any of the three phones you mention. Because the core hardware specs are consistent across this gen of phones, the difference is in how they feel and little design choices. There's always something coming - by the time Apollo hits, we'll all be talking about Loki or whatever they'll nickname WP 8.5...

That said, UVA or Rice? Please. Go Owls. :)

THAT said, if you choose a college based on something a guy said in a mobile phone forum? UVA is glad to have you. :D

Mike, Rice '99 (ouch, I feel old)

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
You had an upgrade since November that you haven't used?!

Use it now. Unless you want to switch to prepaid (which is smart), you're basically throwing money away every day you DON'T buy a new phone.

If you had used your upgrade in November, you could have had another upgrade in November 2013. You've wasted 6 months of time already, which is a long time for a 2 yr contract.

Even if none of the current WP end up being upgraded to Apollo, the max you would have to wait is a year, which is the amount of time you're sitting on your upgrade.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Wait, wait wait.....what's all this waiting. If it's priced right, and you like what it does, get it. There will always be something bigger and better tomorrow. Don't worry though, tomorrow for you will come soon enough.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
If you like the Lumia 900 as it is right now, no upgrades to consider, buy it now (and honestly it's awesome so why wouldn't you?)

If you're wanting the bleeding edge of Windows Phone, wait for Apollo and buy a Windows Phone 8 device.

Or, if you can get yourself into a 12 month (or even a no commitment SIM-free scenario) deal, go with that and have the best of both worlds.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
There is obviously a big discrepancy in opinions with whether or not to upgrade now. And also with which college I should go too lol. Since I have already "wasted" 6 months of my upgrade I figure I can waste two more weeks to get the phone I am looking at, but not another 6-8 months for Apollo. I'd be surprised if the Lumia 900 is not up-gradable to Apollo, but I don't think I'd care too much.

RiseAgainst94

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
Get hands on. You'll be great with any of the three phones you mention. Because the core hardware specs are consistent across this gen of phones, the difference is in how they feel and little design choices. There's always something coming - by the time Apollo hits, we'll all be talking about Loki or whatever they'll nickname WP 8.5...

That said, UVA or Rice? Please. Go Owls. :)

THAT said, if you choose a college based on something a guy said in a mobile phone forum? UVA is glad to have you. :D

Mike, Rice '99 (ouch, I feel old)

Haha I don't know if UVA is that large of a step down, but Rice certainly is the better school.

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
They're Not That Stupid, Are They?

First of all, if these recent devices, such as the Radar, 710, Titan, Focus S, and Focus Flash, (sorry, I'll stick to US devices), don't get the Apollo update, Microsoft will have a tough time restarting the platform.
If for some reason, the upcoming devices, such as the Titan 2 and the Lumia 900 don't get the WP8 update, there will be so many incredibly pissed off Windows Phone enthusiasts, plus all of the tech analylists that will really tear into Microsoft, that the platform will not continue. It will be dead in the water. Microsoft must clearly know this. If they choose to not update these devices to Windows Phone 8, they do not deserve my love. Period.

damielrohie

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
If you look over at wmpoweruser they are reporting that some random rep has confirmed that 2nd generation and 1st generation devices will get upgraded with certain features left out similar to how tango is working on those cheap 256mb phones. its all in deutsch (german) so I cant really read the article. I am actually sitting on the fence as well. but for me, more than just the upgrade, it is more about the additional features added like a higher resolution display, a dual core chipset, and NFC capabilities. but then again the question always comes back to if you can wait. I guess with the Lumia now supposedly coming out at the end of April my desire for it slowly is waning. well at least till they release it then I might be all a-fuddled again. but even with how amazing the Lumia 900 looks, supposedly with Apollo Nokia is getting a big say in what is going on. so that adds another wrinkle. look at what they produced last minute and what about when they release their flagship (prodigy)? ahhhhh. my perfect senario is this. win a free windows phone (i have been trying on twitter (damn you ben the pc guy), on facebook (damn you nokia contests and windows contests), and on wpcentral (damn you, oh wait i cant hate you, i love you wpcentral!). and that way i can rock a wp7 without any initial loss of contractual subsidies. granted this hasnt worked out well at all. stupid laws of stupid probability clashing with stupid human nature of stupid hoping. so that is my advice. try to win a free wp7 and then you can get a wp8 when it comes out. or if the Lumia 900 drives you crazy just get it and maybe by the time your contract is expired wp will have caught up with the androids and apples of the world.

Last edited:

paradiseware.com

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
There's always something else down the road. If you continuously wait for the best thing you will wait forever.
I agree with dtboos wholeheartedly. There are always new promises coming -- someday. I have a Nokia Lumia 800 and Samsung Focus. Both are very good, fast, and every-day usable. The Lumia has a better screen and is maybe a bit faster.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium