Windows Phone and the US a bad match?

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
I feel your pain, I think Nokia should make you guys a 610 cdma version so its cheap enough to just buy sim free and advertise the **** out of it at the big retail stores instead of the operators own shops.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Sadly, I have to agree with the article entirely. WP7 is losing or has already lost 50% of the available smartphone market due to two carriers not participating in WP7 with new devices.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon needs to step up. Most of us aren't going to switch carriers to get a WP. Hopefully Apollo will turn things around, but I'm getting doubtful.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

borjeboy

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is on at&t only... But if lumia sold well in London then it Will be a hit in the us. Because everyone wants whats trendy/popular in London ;)

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
iPhone is on at&t only... But if lumia sold well in London then it Will be a hit in the us. Because everyone wants whats trendy/popular in London ;)

Actually the iPhone was recently introduced on Verizon and Sprint here in the US. So now it's on three major carriers. And T-Mobile said that in late 2012 or sometime in 2013 their network will support the iPhone.

DanSmithKY

Nov 8, 2010
Visit site
I thought that AT&T, Verizon, and (in the near future) Sprint will all be using compatable LTE tech (asside from bands most likely). Obviously they will still have to support their older networks, but as these carier's main networks grow more similar it should help get rid of the circumstances the author speaks of.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I've been saying this for over a year now. Go ahead, check my post history! ;) It doesn't help that Microsoft started GSM-only and then Tango is aimed at the low-end spectrum.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
MS has only themselves to blame. they had been very slow to market and when they did come to market with WP7 they left out key features like C&P people picked it apart for that and thus the bad rap that windows mobile had carried right on over to WP7. it's the same with the tablets ipad or android win8 tablets wont be here for another 6-7 months in the mean time there is the new ipad3 coming out in a week or two. MS is so dam slow they are killing there chances.....

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone is fairing pretty well on TMobile and hasn't even had that much advertisement. Radar is the 2nd best selling smartphone (3rd best selling phone of any type), and Windows Phones are 2nd, 3rd & 4th in highest ratings. #1 is a new android phone with only 9 reviews.

I have no doubt that once Nokia comes out guns a blazin' with the 900 that things will start to pickup much more rapidly.

Of coarse the big kicker will be much more "high end" specs and devices coming with Windows Phone 8, and the release of Windows 8. This will be like Nitro.

Last edited:

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
Honestly, I'm getting tired of looking to the horizon for hope. Windows Phone 8 is starting to look a lot like Mango, which looked a lot like the NoDo (CDMA release), which looked a lot like the re-release of WP7.

I'm at a point where until I hear of a new Verizon (I don't even care about Sprint) Windows Phone, I am going to keep my hopes low for Windows Phone in the US--Lumia 900 or not.

This, of course, is my bias, since Verizon completely dominates the other carriers in my area in both coverage and subscribers.

dtboos

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Remember Verizon and the iPhone. They had first shot at it and decided not to take it. Then once it blew up they couldn't wait to get a hold of it.

They will do that again with WP. If it blows up this year they will scramble, but my money is on them prepping for Apollo just like Samsung & HTC seem to be doing.

Microsofts strategy is much much bigger than just their new Phone platform. They are revamping their entire platform across the board, and moving into unifying everything. Its a very large scale project that requires more patience than most are willing to deal with, but I can see where its going and truly believe that while its off to a slow start, it will eventually gain way more ground than most people would think at this point.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Verizon was the biggest carrier before they got the iPhone. Still I hope they don't take that long for does top WP.

Sent from my mwp6985 using Board Express

Wobjoi

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if some of this may have to do with other competitors as well, and not just MS or the telco's effort.

Let say a manufacturer / OEM etc offers a deal to a telco for a device, but states that they cannot offer another device from a competitor. This would make it difficult for a telco to offer a WP. Essentially locking in the product exclusively.

Curtieson

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if some of this may have to do with other competitors as well, and not just MS or the telco's effort.

Let say a manufacturer / OEM etc offers a deal to a telco for a device, but states that they cannot offer another device from a competitor. This would make it difficult for a telco to offer a WP. Essentially locking in the product exclusively.

I don't think Verizon would have signed something with Apple that said they couldn't sell anything other than Android...and I'd have to imagine it'd be illegal to say "you can sell anything accept Windows Phone"...that just sounds like it is destroying competition of the free market...but I don't really know.