More details on Tango emerge

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
Windows Phone Tango: new features and limitations revealed - Neowin.net

While Microsoft has worked hard to ensure that its OS works well on handsets with low-end specs, there have been some murmurings of ?restrictions? that would limit certain functions and features on devices with 256MB of RAM. At last month?s Mobile World Congress, where the first Tango handsets ? the Nokia Lumia 610 and ZTE Orbit ? were revealed, Microsoft downplayed this, but now LiveSide.net has dug out information from the official Windows Phone website, which confirms the nature of the restrictions imposed on handsets with 256MB of RAM:

App limitations: As Microsoft has acknowledged already, some processor-intensive apps won?t work with 256MB. The company previously suggested that up to 5% of apps currently available on the Marketplace will not work with this amount of RAM.

Fast-app switching: This feature will not work at all.

Local Scout: This feature will not work at all.

Video playback: Video compressed using some of the codecs that Windows Phone supports will not work (the affected codecs are not specified).

Podcasts and video podcasts: You won?t be able to manage podcast subscriptions or watch video podcasts on your phone.

SkyDrive automatic photo upload: This feature will not work at all.

But for owners of handsets with better specs, the news is a bit brighter, as the Tango update will bring a few handy features:

Improved media messaging: Attach multiple images, video files, voice notes and ring tones to text messages or instant messages.

Export and manage contacts to SIM card: Export contacts to a SIM card, and create/edit individual contacts on the SIM card (note: this feature is currently specified only on the Chinese version of the Windows Phone How-To site).

Location awareness icon: A new icon will appear on the status bar (see number 8 in image below) to highlight when an app is accessing your handset?s current location information.

windows-phone-status-bar-icons.png

Reactions: Winterfang

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
3 new things

- contacts export to SIM , that's NICE!!!!
- Improved txt media: vids and what not,.. AWESOME!
- location ICON thing is nice as well!

but like , no podcast? , no skydrive upload? vid codecs not supported? i dont see how 250RAm can prevent does features! its not like it high demanding on the phone to upload a pic! LMAO!

well im glad im never gona buy a *low -end* WP . lol!

cory1717

Mar 5, 2012
Visit site
so is tango going to be on the wp7.5 phones with any new or updated features or is tango just an update for the low end window phones ???????????????????

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
so is tango going to be on the wp7.5 phones with any new or updated features or is tango just an update for the low end window phones ???????????????????

new features for mango phones:

- contacts export to SIM ,
- Improved txt media: vids and what not,..
- location ICON thing

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I guess I don't understand this whole "lower end tango device" theory. If I walk into my at&t store right now and compare specs, I'd say the original focus would be at the bottom. Why not just repackage that, or a similar phone? Is going from 512mb to 256mb of ram really saving that much money? Not only that, but if I had one of these lower end tango devices, I would be looking forward to the day I could upgrade to a "real phone" which, by comparison, would be an iphone or an android device.
Maybe I'll end up wrong and this will be a big boost for wp7, but I just don't see it. To be competely honest, I'm beginning to get a bit frightened about the future of our beloved os. I can't believe after 2 years we still can't get any market traction. I would imagine microsoft has underestimated how truely loathed they are as a brand name.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I guess I don't understand this whole "lower end tango device" theory. If I walk into my at&t store right now and compare specs, I'd say the original focus would be at the bottom. Why not just repackage that, or a similar phone? Is going from 512mb to 256mb of ram really saving that much money? Not only that, but if I had one of these lower end tango devices, I would be looking forward to the day I could upgrade to a "real phone" which, by comparison, would be an iphone or an android device.
Maybe I'll end up wrong and this will be a big boost for wp7, but I just don't see it. To be competely honest, I'm beginning to get a bit frightened about the future of our beloved os. I can't believe after 2 years we still can't get any market traction. I would imagine microsoft has underestimated how truely loathed they are as a brand name.

im thinking the same thing! I dont know why GEN 1 device dint just become the low-end phones.... i seriously think this is a fail specially killing BASIC features (podcast , vids , quick resume!~!!!! )

muffasa

Feb 29, 2012
Visit site
Maybe they will add new colours, it's a really easy thing to do, but they have to name them ;)

Please keep in mind that low-end Tango phones are designed for emerging markets, where unlimited data plans are usually not available, so every megabyte of streamed data to SkyDrive costs money, same with podcasts.

Last edited:

coffeemike

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Muffasa got it; Tango is part of MS working with device makers to target emerging markets, not us first worlders. Think of Tango as mainly slimming the OS, and Apollo as creatingore features.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
I still find it weird,

we selling first GEN phones at 0$ NO DATA option required and its only 1 year term..(compare to 3years + minimum 25$ data option).

the new LOW-END phones actually cost more!!! LOL!

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
WTF....these are serious limitations. Cant imagine holding a phone with these limitations. Why is MS releasing Tango at all?? They should have released it for Windows Mobile 6.5 a long time ago. Wonder if people will buy......they are doing all these because of Nokia. FS!

Sent from my HTC HD7 Windows Phone using Board Express.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
I still find it weird,

we selling first GEN phones at 0$ NO DATA option required and its only 1 year term..(compare to 3years + minimum 25$ data option).

the new LOW-END phones actually cost more!!! LOL!

You have to take into consideration countries where people have to pay full price for their phone because there are no subsidizes. Amazon Wireless still has the original Focus listed on their site for $419, that's 319 in euros. The Lumia 610 is only expected to be 189 euros brand new. That's a significant price difference.

Last edited:

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
You have to take into consideration countries where people have to pay full price for their phone because there are no subsidizes. Amazon Wireless still has the original Focus listed on their sight for $419, that's 319 in euros. The 610 is only expected to be 189 euros brand new. That's a significant price difference.

yeah the ONLY thing that makes this make sens is people having to buy phones FULL PRICE! ( 1% of clients? )

but seriously they could lower the price on the focus by 200$ and still make profit on it .
would prevent having to WAIST all that energy into:

1. design of new phone
2. HOURS of coding to come out with a compatible update.
3. MILLIONS OF $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ pissed away into the wind.
4. removing basic feature that make a smartphone not so smart! ( lol ) ( i mean no app switcher COME ON )

and just to add insult to injury , MS was already being BASHED for having CRAP specs .. and they come out with even worst specs!! I mean COME ON!!!

if some one tells you they don't like chocolate ice cream, don't give them freaking chocolate ice cream!! lol

i can almost GUARANTY that if the NOKIA 610 ( if it comes to US ) WONT sale .... NO WAY! ...

my carrier no longer supports any phone that doesn't have dual-core/LTE, so you can bet your ars that we will not support these WP. hence MILLIONS of clients LOST for what? 3 kids in a third world country that cant pay 400$

I HOPE I'M WRONG!

Last edited:

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
my carrier no longer supports any phone that doesn't have dual-core/LTE, so you can bet your ars that we will not support these WP. hence MILLIONS of clients LOST for what? 3 kids in a third world country that cant pay 400$

If I walk into my at&t store right now and compare specs, I'd say the original focus would be at the bottom.
Not even close... I don't know why people around here think the original Windows Phones are so obsolete. While they're low end compared to the iPhone 4s or top of the line Androids, there are actually A LOT of worse phones being sold. Have you actually looked at the AT&T website?

PDAs & Smartphones - from AT&T

Some phones available worse than the original Focus: Pantech Pocket, Samsung DoubleTime, LG Phoenix, Palm Pixi, PanTech Crossover, Sharp FX Plus, HTC Status, etc. etc. The there are Focus peers like the Xperia Play and HTC Inspire that I'm not going to bother to research; but, you can bet most of them don't have a 4" Super AMOLED display.

The original Samsung Focus is definitely on top quarter of phones currently offered. Verizon, T-Mobile, and Sprint's portfolios aren't much better. As a value minded consumer, I researched a lot of phones before I settled on an unlocked Focus.

but seriously they could lower the price on the focus by 200$ and still make profit on it .
I bought my unlocked Samsung Focus at J&R.com for 185 USD two or three weeks ago. I'd gladly let them pay me $15 to take the Samsung Focus off of them. :D

(The price is back up now but it's still one $240 at J&R and $215 at Newegg off contract.)

##############################

There is definitely room at all the US carriers for the Lumia 610 and it definitely serves a purpose. (T-Mobile moved Nurons, probably the lowest spec major smartphone ever invented, didn't it?) While the original WPs are currently cheap in price, it needs to be understood that they are NOT cheap to produce.

We can't expect Samsung to manufacture any more $200 Samsung Focuses. 4" Super AMOLED and Gorilla glass are expensive components that won't be the standard for many years. Samsung has come out with new Androids with faster processors; but, they don't slap a 4" Super AMOLED on them. They all have small <3.7" LED displays. The same holds true for the HTC HD7, etc.

The difference between the Focus and the Lumia is that Nokia can actually afford to manufacture and sell the 610 for $200! The one big problem is that the market is currently saturated with cheap, last gen premium WPs. If the supply of these WPs ever do run out, though, the Lumia will become attractive. Also, we cannot move the last gen WPs in volumes in lower end markets because they are probably discontinued. Again, HTC and Samsung are not going to be making new HD7s and Focuses to sell out for $200.

Last edited:

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
Tango is for developing markets. e.g., China, India, Brazil, sub-Saharan Africa, etc.
The phones for which Tango is really designed will not be sold in the US.
US phones which get the Tango update will not lose any functionality.

Read that again if you are still scared of Tango. It's truly a good move by Microsoft and Nokia.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
My point is: I dont think LOW-end phones will sale well in America ( US, Canada, Mexico ect.. ) and even Europe.

I hope your right and that the : China, India, Brazil, sub-Saharan Africa, etc. actually buys into this NOKIA 610.

im just scared when i read about NOKIA saying that the 610 is not LOW-END ENOUGH! seriously?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
This is bad..
Even the most crappy phones have those features.

its not like you are being forced to buy this. Android has low end phones with no restrictions like this and they run like pure caca. For example my mom's ZTE Score (low end android phone ) recently crashed on her yesterday after everything she was doing kept force closing with an error message everytime she would try to open an app and now it fails to even boot up. As for automatic upload to skydrive , i have that disabled on my HD7 as i prefer to upload my photos and videos manually.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
My point is i dont think LOW-end phones will sale well in America ( US, Canada, mexico ect.. ) and Europe.
They sell in the US, I assure you. I am a Slickdealer and I KNOW for a fact that they sell. That's not to mention that I've walked into T-Mobile, AT&T, and Verizon stores. -.-

It's simply that everyone on websites such as this are techies and are repulsed by everything less than 1 ghz. That's not to mention that all the media publicity has been on high end iPhones and Galaxy S IIs.

The LG Optimus T, S, Phoenix (etc.) is a low-end, 600 mhz ARM11 phone with a gazillion variants that has been extremely successful in the United States and that is still selling in volumes as we speak. These are the types of phones soccer moms are using.
http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_phoenix-3924.php

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
oh I know the android phones sale .. ( i work for bell ) we sale all does low end phones... on contract!!!! not full price..

they could be 1000$ or 200$ they still come out to 0$ on a contract!! exactly like first GEN phone.

and honestly as a dealer, how many phones do you actually sale off contract , compare to phones on contract? ( even if its only 1 year or the minimum ) probably VERY LITTLE! ( i know we sale very little OFF contract phones)

Chances are if you dont want to pay 400$+ you wont wana pay 200$ ether. lol ( for the majority of clients )

my center sales easy 200+ phones a day ( most of them low end android ) but 99% on contracts!!!!

point being they could have avoided the tango mess we are going trough with the lack of features by simply lowering contract prices on FIRST GEN WP.

but I understand that contract price is 100% RTM and has NOTHING to do with MS or OEMs .. so it does get complicated. lol

hopefully it all works out :)

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)