Bing works on one phone, but not the other

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I have both a Focus and a Focus S, and I've noticed that Bing doesn't work on the S when on cellular/4G data. It works fine on WiFi, and strangely, it works fine over 3G with my SIM in the original Focus.

Either searching in the IE address bar or using the magnifying glass button on the phone, it will always ends up telling me to check the cellular or WiFi connection and try again later.

Any ideas? :straight: Everything else works perfectly on the S with cellular data.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Does anyone know if Bing might use the same "transport" as MMS? I haven't bothered yet to see if MMS works on the S...

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Neither are SIM unlocked and both are on AT&T.

The original Focus is "debranded" to allow certain features but Bing still works on that phone. The Focus S is untouched.

I know that the S has issues with AT&T prepaid as it's a "4G" phone, but it's weird that absolutely everything else data-related works on FauxG.

I will try MMS later today or tomorrow and see what happens. That Bing doesn't work just has to be related to MMS somehow...

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about this also. On my gf's Samsung Focus, the Local Scout option does not appear at the bottom when she hits the Bing button.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I have a question about this also. On my gf's Samsung Focus, the Local Scout option does not appear at the bottom when she hits the Bing button.

it only appears if location services are enabled.

As for Bing and mms. Doubt it. your phone doesnt actually receive mms messages. You receive a text that's a dynamically generated link to retrieve the message. But im really just here to get bacon.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Dont have the s do have the focus no issues just like your focus. have you talked with ATT tech support (not sure whether they'd know anything or not) Gone into your local corporate stote?

Last edited:

btbam91

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

As for Bing and mms. Doubt it. your phone doesnt actually receive mms messages. You receive a text that's a dynamically generated link to retrieve the message. But im really just here to get bacon.
Location services are definitely enabled. I made sure to check.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
that's weird im not sure

maybe try some soft/hard reset on it ?
It had a hard reset performed by the previous owner when I received it and I popped my SIM in it almost immediately...it's never worked on the S via cellular data.

I sent myself two messages with pictures in them--one was through the Pictures app and the other with the Attach option inside Messaging. They were "embedded" in the SMS themselves. I have gotten the "Click to download media..." message with data turned off, but the test messages came through fine.
Dont the s do have the focus no issues just like your focus. have you talked with ATT tech support (not sure whether they'd know anything or not) Gone into your local corporate stote?
Going into the store is definitely the last resort :p They said I wouldn't have data if I used the Focus on prepaid and said activating a prepaid account on a postpaid SIM card wouldn't work. And since I'm on prepaid, I hate wasting people's time when they work on commission.

I may have to give this a shot, thanks.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I sent myself two messages with pictures in them--one was through the Pictures app and the other with the Attach option inside Messaging. They were "embedded" in the SMS themselves. I have gotten the "Click to download media..." message with data turned off, but the test messages came through fine.
Kinda bad wording on my part but I don't see how Bing and MMS would have anything in common. When you send an MMS it goes MMSC -> routed if its going to a phone on another carrier -> determines if your device is MMS capable -> SMS control message sent -> Wap is triggered to download the message.

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
I thought they may have been related because "4G" Windows Phones phones are required to have the APN configured to work on AT&T prepaid, plus they need an MMS configuration (supposedly).

Now that MMS works--at least sending pics to myself--it's eliminated from being related.

Since everything else works on the data connection, MMS was the only thing up in the air. And since Bing doesn't work, well, it's the only thing not working...

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Bumping this thread for justice!

If anyone is having trouble with Bing services not working on GoPhone service with their 4G Windows Phone, simply go into the Marketplace, then Samsung Zone, and download Wireless Manager.

Once installed, swap sideways, go into "Active APN" and change it to AT&T 3G.

Problem solved :cool: The phone still shows 4G but only downloads at 3G speeds, just like before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism