Music playback bug on WP7?

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
Here's how I can reproduce this problem every time:

1. Start a song
2. Press the search button to go to Bing
3. The Bing page loads up and my music sounds like it goes to mono, rather than stereo
4. Execute a search
5. When the search results page loads up my music goes back to normal, stereo sound

Does anyone else have this problem?

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
its not really a bug but rather a feature, i guess its related to bing trying to access the mic on the main page, which then strips the sound briefly to mono. I also use this to test if my headphones are working the way they should.

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
I see. Well, it's still strange and you'd think it wouldn't happen until I actually press the voice search button. Thanks for the info.

XBWillem

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's how I can reproduce this problem every time:

1. Start a song
2. Press the search button to go to Bing
3. The Bing page loads up and my music sounds like it goes to mono, rather than stereo
4. Execute a search
5. When the search results page loads up my music goes back to normal, stereo sound

Does anyone else have this problem?

You're not alone with this issue. I exerpience it as well. I always hear a certain 'pop' sound, then the quality goes down briefly before it returns to normal. Kinda weir,d but I guess there's nothing we can do about it.

I have to say the non-gapless playback is what bothers me more. :dry

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
You're not alone with this issue. I exerpience it as well. I always hear a certain 'pop' sound, then the quality goes down briefly before it returns to normal. Kinda weir,d but I guess there's nothing we can do about it.

I have to say the non-gapless playback is what bothers me more. :dry

Ok, so it's not me! Excellent. Yes, non-gapless playback is truly annoying. I get lots of pops when Zune switches to the next song.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
The gaps are most likely because there are empty spaces at the end of a song so that's what it is, not because Zune is purposely doing it.

Last edited:

speedtouch

Jan 23, 2012
Visit site
The gaps are most likely because there are empty spaces at the end of a song so thsye what it is, not because Zune is purposely doing it.

No, I can definitely hear the gap. It's Zune doing it. I get a little pop when it stops playing A.mp3, a silence gap, then a little pop when Zune starts B.mp3.

opacityzero

Jan 16, 2005
Visit site
Tried on the Nokia 710 with v7.5 and didn't notice the it going mono - tried a few songs. No pops either so far.

Do you notice that pressing the button on a headset while a song it playing with the screen off the song will pause, but pressing it again will not resume?

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
On my Trophy the sound briefly skips when Bing loads. I was thinking it was because Bing was taking a lot of resources, but maybe not.

C'mon gapless playback! Hope we see that in another update.

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
both are confirmed issues

The issue with hitting search causing audio to go mono defnitely happens for me too, and it has happened on two different phones, although both were HTC. Can't be certain it's a OS issue if other people are saying it doesn't happen.

Gapless playback is also a known short coming talked about a lot and it's pretty sad. I'm a longtime Zune user and my 80GB drive based Zune does a pretty decent job at gapless playback, but after several songs in a row it does start to introduce very small gaps until I stop and start again, or rewind. I figured a ram based device would not have this issue, but the same CDs that have mixed songs (one goes right into the next), always play with a huge gap between them, even when playing straight album non-shuffle. I'd heard this same issue occurs on Zune HDs but I'm not positive.

I can live with the bing search issue but the gapless playback is far more annoying. I just voted it up at user voice:
Support gapless playback in Zune

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3