Apollo coming to all (1G/2G) Windows Phones!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
But they can skip an update correct? I'm still waiting on the last update released months ago to hit my phone to no avail.

Currently as far as I can tell the only way to be sure you are current is to get a new phone running the new version as it may be months or more before you ever see it. If they can skip then it I may never be fully up to date. Regardless, it's a mess.

you can manually update your device from a thread over on XDA. Not getting 1 minor update (yet) is hardly a mess though

Silverdogz

Nov 29, 2011
Visit site
I highly doubt that MS will leave 1G/2G out in the cold especially if they were released in 2012 I'm looking at you Titan 2

Sent from my SGH-i937 using Board Express

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
But they can skip an update correct? I'm still waiting on the last update released months ago to hit my phone to no avail.

Currently as far as I can tell the only way to be sure you are current is to get a new phone running the new version as it may be months or more before you ever see it. If they can skip then it I may never be fully up to date. Regardless, it's a mess.

No, it's simple actually:

Hotfixes (7760 / 7780) are optional for the carriers, but these hotfixes are included in major updates (Mango, Tango, Apollo), which are mandatory.

This was probably a way for Microsoft to concede to terrible carriers (like AT&T), since some carriers don't give a crap about their costumers.

I think that's actually one of the reasons why crappy carriers love Android: "Want to update your phone? Get a new one!"

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
omg you "carriers" people. I wish that someone would make a sticky. For the 15 billionth time. Carriers are CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED to push major updates. Why they haven't said is because Apollo is an UNANNOUNCED product. When Apollo is announced then we will know. It really is that simple.

That's good to hear except for one thing. WHICH phones are they contractually obligated to update? If ALL of the phones can get the update but the carrier doesn't WANT to update all of them, then yes they are still likely the reason for no information. It's entirely possible that MS wants to make those promises, but can't. If they were contractually obligated to update all phones, then that puts the ball back in MS court and why would they say nothing about it? The carriers once again being dicks makes perfect sense and all the pieces fit together. It's still conjecture, but a solid one I think.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
That's good to hear except for one thing. WHICH phones are they contractually obligated to update? If ALL of the phones can get the update but the carrier doesn't WANT to update all of them, then yes they are still likely the reason for no information. It's entirely possible that MS wants to make those promises, but can't. If they were contractually obligated to update all phones, then that puts the ball back in MS court and why would they say nothing about it? The carriers once again being dicks makes perfect sense and all the pieces fit together. It's still conjecture, but a solid one I think.

Read the post above yours and all of them!

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
You still missed the point. The way you state it makes it seem like they will release major updates for ALL devices. That's the real question here. If they are then why are we even talking about this? Because carriers have to update all windows phones with major updates in perpetuity! See what I mean? They can still be the issue here.

MS wants to update them all, I'd hazard a guess that that's a safe assumption. But the carriers very likely do not. They want you buying new phones, they want to EOL phones, etc.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
You still missed the point. The way you state it makes it seem like they will release major updates for ALL devices. That's the real question here. If they are then why are we even talking about this? Because carriers have to update all windows phones with major updates in perpetuity! See what I mean? They can still be the issue here.

MS wants to update them all, I'd hazard a guess that that's a safe assumption. But the carriers very likely do not. They want you buying new phones, they want to EOL phones, etc.

They are contracted to push updates to every phone except yours! It will probably be the same across all devices. They only have to push updates to the devices supported I would imagine. What carriers want is irrelevant. Microsoft promised two major updates for every device and carriers have to push them. The question about why we are talking about this is a good one. This all started because of some irrelevant interview at MWC. There isn't even anything to discuss until Apollo is actually announced. We haven't even arrived at Tango yet.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site

Microsoft never said that Windows Phone updates were perpetual, of course they aren't.

What's being discussed in this thread is if the next major update, Apollo, is coming to ALL devices, and I posted yet another piece of information that confirms that the update is indeed coming to ALL Windows Phones.

And right now, it's way too soon to speculate if 1G and 2G devices will get post-Apollo updates, since we don't have any info about Apollo other than it's going to be based of Windows 8 kernel!

I could say that Windows Phone 8 devices might even get hotfixes the same way Windows 8 gets hotfixes, bypassing the carriers, but again, it's too soon to speculate, we don't really now anything except that Apollo is coming to ALL current Windows Phones.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft never said that Windows Phone updates were perpetual, of course they aren't.

What's being discussed in this thread is if the next major update, Apollo, is coming to ALL devices, and I posted yet another piece of information that confirms that the update is indeed coming to ALL Windows Phones.

And right now, it's way too soon to speculate if 1G and 2G devices will get post-Apollo updates, since we don't have any info about Apollo other than it's going to be based of Windows 8 kernel!

I could say that Windows Phone 8 devices might even get hotfixes the same way Windows 8 gets hotfixes, bypassing the carriers, but again, it's too soon to speculate, we don't really now anything except that Apollo is coming to ALL current Windows Phones.

This is not entirely accurate. Apollo won't have the windows 8 kernel. Its going to share code.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
This is not entirely accurate. Apollo won't have the windows 8 kernel. Its going to share code.

Microsoft showed off the ARM version of Windows running on an old ASUS WinMo phone. If it runs on that it seems a bit redundant to work on a separate kernel for WP. I'd think most differences between Win8 and WP8 will be handled by more optimized device drivers for phones and the UI layer.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Updates come from the carriers and MS can't make promises for the carriers, I think that's why they can't say. I don't believe its a matter of can devices run it, it's a matter of will the carriers do it?

Even if Verizon didn't want an update for the HTC Trophy, just as a hypothetical, how could Verizon prevent Microsoft from releasing an update for it through Zune software?

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft showed off the ARM version of Windows running on an old ASUS WinMo phone. If it runs on that it seems a bit redundant to work on a separate kernel for WP. I'd think most differences between Win8 and WP8 will be handled by more optimized device drivers for phones and the UI layer.

No it isn't. WP7 is based on the Win CE kernel. You cant tie a device based on windows CE to the desktop very well

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
If Apollo is coming to all Windows Phones, MS are either oblivious to the doubt and speculation or they're not bothered.... both don't make any sense.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
If Apollo is coming to all Windows Phones, MS are either oblivious to the doubt and speculation or they're not bothered.... both don't make any sense.

Apollo is an unannounced product. Why is this so difficult for people to comprehend. They weren't even able to mention Apollo publicly until the info leak in Jan

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
But, everything 'pre-leaked info' is irrelevant. The cat was let out of the bag and the information was quickly confirmed. This was months ago...

MS should at least acknowledge how powerful a tool the internet is. If there is scepticism regarding the longevity of their current and next-to-be-released devices (Titan II/Lumia series), it will damage sales.

Cut the red tape already.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
But, everything 'pre-leaked info' is irrelevant. The cat was let out of the bag and the information was quickly confirmed. This was months ago...

MS should at least acknowledge how powerful a tool the internet is. If there is scepticism regarding the longevity of their current and next-to-be-released devices (Titan II/Lumia series), it will damage sales.

Cut the red tape already.

The only info that was spoken to was the liked video for nokia.

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
No it isn't. WP7 is based on the Win CE kernel. You cant tie a device based on windows CE to the desktop very well

I'm not sure exactly what you're on about when you talk about tying a Win CE device to the desktop. But I'm not talking about WP7. It has been mentioned that WP8 will retire CE for phones and replace it with the ARM build of the "regular" NT kernel which was developed to open up new possibilities for Windows 8 on mobile devices. If it works for Android and iOS it should be possible for MSFT as well to make something that works both on phones and tablets. And in that perspective it seems like a waste of resources to build two different ARM versions of the same kernel.

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure exactly what you're on about when you talk about tying a Win CE device to the desktop. But I'm not talking about WP7. It has been mentioned that WP8 will retire CE for phones and replace it with the ARM build of the "regular" NT kernel which was developed to open up new possibilities for Windows 8 on mobile devices. If it works for Android and iOS it should be possible for MSFT as well to make something that works both on phones and tablets. And in that perspective it seems like a waste of resources to build two different ARM versions of the same kernel.

edit- I see what you are saying. The rumor is that supposedly windows 8 kernel is both x86 and arm to allow their program once and pretty much done app ecosystem. Its supported by the build conference dev getting his WP app to work in just minutes on windows 8. Since it will be a common platform its just UI changes

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)