Apollo coming to all (1G/2G) Windows Phones!

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I created a new thread so that this post wouldn't become somewhat lost in the already existing discussions.

Anyway, a portuguese Windows Phone (developer) Evangelist said in a recent interview to the portuguese technology forum "Zwame", that official word from Microsoft is that Apollo will come to all released Windows Phones, including 1G devices. This is stated very cleary.

The interview can be watched here: Entrevista a Nuno Silva, Evangelista da Microsoft para o Windows Phone em Portugal - YouTube, it's in portuguese though.

This should be considered as trustworthy insider information, so speculation should end.

Other interesting information is that an Apollo developer technical preview for close Microsoft partners/ developers will be available "very soon" and that an official detailed announcement about Apollo is coming in the next few months.

Last edited:

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I only speak English and Spanish, I could probably transcode Portugese with my knowledge of Spanish.

I'm Portuguese, so what I posted here is what I listened to in that interview.

Take it with a grain of salt, obviously, as it's not official, but this is the best and most reliable insider info we ever got about Apollo coming to current devices. The guy was also pretty reserved and careful of what he said, so I'm sure this is something he knew he could "leak".

To add credibility to his statement, this guy is also responsible for an official Microsoft portuguese website: App Me Up - which is a website dedicated to educate and incentivate portuguese developers to create Windows Phone apps.

Last edited:

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Nice, lets hope and pray all is well. Can't imagine my new looking and smart HTC HD7 not getting Apollo. At least will be cool if I even get it based on Hardware limitations than not getting it at all.

lavalleema

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I hope it's accurate, but I'd feel better if MS would announce it. It seems odd that they'd say something like that to a European developer and leave everyone else in the world in the dark... but who knows what they are thinking from one moment to another.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Updates come from the carriers and MS can't make promises for the carriers, I think that's why they can't say. I don't believe its a matter of can devices run it, it's a matter of will the carriers do it?

anodynamic

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Here's a Google-translated bit from Microsoft Italy (Windows Phone Italy | Stefania Duico di Microsoft Italia parla del futuro di Windows Phone 'Tango' e 'Apollo' ):

Q: Is it true that phones based on Windows Phone 7.5 Phone will not be upgradeable to Windows 8?
A: The Windows Phone team has always been attentive to the satisfaction of its consumers and remain committed to providing our customers the best experience possible, primarily by ensuring that all applications currently on the Marketplace will also run on the next operating system release.​

No idea how to interpret that. Either it means all old app support is good because no one will loose any apps when they get updated, or it means that developers should stick to WP7 apps for a while if they want to reach both new and old phone users.

In other words, everybody is talking a lot without actually saying much of anything. As usual... :)

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Here's a Google-translated bit from Microsoft Italy (Windows Phone Italy | Stefania Duico di Microsoft Italia parla del futuro di Windows Phone 'Tango' e 'Apollo' ):

Q: Is it true that phones based on Windows Phone 7.5 Phone will not be upgradeable to Windows 8?
A: The Windows Phone team has always been attentive to the satisfaction of its consumers and remain committed to providing our customers the best experience possible, primarily by ensuring that all applications currently on the Marketplace will also run on the next operating system release.​

No idea how to interpret that. Either it means all old app support is good because no one will loose any apps when they get updated, or it means that developers should stick to WP7 apps for a while if they want to reach both new and old phone users.

In other words, everybody is talking a lot without actually saying much of anything. As usual... :)
The part about app compatibility is old news. We already know apps will be compatible. MS related people ALWAYS bring this up when asked about device compatibility as if we're idiots. The P.R. people at Microsoft should be shot or at least sued by investors especially if it turns out that Apollo will come to current devices.

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
The part about app compatibility is old news. We already know apps will be compatible. MS related people ALWAYS bring this up when asked about device compatibility as if we're idiots. The P.R. people at Microsoft should be shot or at least sued by investors especially if it turns out that Apollo will come to current devices.

Yeah, the guy is talking about app compatibility, not about the OS itself. Same old story, but the guy is just saying what he's told to say until MS has something more concrete to release to the public. Not his fault.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
My money is on things not being the worst case scenario, but it not being great news either. That's why we're getting the stuff about app compatibility from everyone even if they're directly asked about hardware. Most customers would probably accept that original generation phones wouldn't be upgradeable without too much fuss, and by the time Apollo comes around most 2-year and 18-month original generation phone contracts would be coming to an end/already over, so this continued fudging says to me some newer phones might not make the cut either.

There's no other reason for it - sowing seeds of doubt for the sake of it would be ridiculous. I expect the "announcement" will be a very small print thing hidden behind a lot of trumpeting of what Windows Phone 8 can do.

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, the guy is talking about app compatibility, not about the OS itself. Same old story, but the guy is just saying what he's told to say until MS has something more concrete to release to the public. Not his fault.
It is his fault. He is being asked completely different question. Where I live there is this story about the student that learner perfectly just a single biology lesson in school about the cucumber

"The cucumber is a vegetable that contains 98% water..." etc. etc.

He didn't know any other lesson so on tests and when teachers asked him he always managed to twist the question in relation to the lesson about the cucumber. For example on the geography question when asked where the Sahara desert is he would answer:

"Sahara is a desert which makes it inappropriate for growing cucumbers and cucumbers are vegetables that container 98% water..."

This is what these guys are doing right now. They are telling us the cucumber lesson no matter what the question is. If they don't know or they can't tell they should say so.

Pronk

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I think it's slightly different. I think they do know (Apollo must be far enough along by now that they'll know what it runs on), but don't want to tell us.

And that's what makes me feel uneasy about it.

Gmotagi

Jul 6, 2011
Visit site
Well the fact that they havnt anounced it tells us all we need to know i.e. "we hope it will but we dont know yet". Think of it this way MS will want every possible WP7 phone to be upgradable, by not saying anything yet they either :-

1. Know Apollo wont run on 7.1 but dont want to kill the current 7.1 phone markets yet.
2. Know it may be possible to run on 7.1 but need to optimise the W8 OS some more to be sure.
3. & 4. like 1 & 2 but for 7.5

Eirenarch

Nov 18, 2011
Visit site
Well the fact that they havnt anounced it tells us all we need to know i.e. "we hope it will but we dont know yet". Think of it this way MS will want every possible WP7 phone to be upgradable, by not saying anything yet they either :-

1. Know Apollo wont run on 7.1 but dont want to kill the current 7.1 phone markets yet.
2. Know it may be possible to run on 7.1 but need to optimise the W8 OS some more to be sure.
3. & 4. like 1 & 2 but for 7.5
Actually when it comes to Microsoft we are not sure what it means. Their marketing teams are full of idiots. With the first Windows 8 video they mentioned HTML + JS and then went silent for 6 months while the whole community of windows devs was raging and managers were dropping projects and retraining people. They didn't utter a single word on different options for development and caused great damage to the .NET community just to announce 6 months later that .NET and C++ are supported equally well (even better in my opinion) for Win 8 metro apps. I still don't have any explaination of why they did this except that the marketing stuff is full of idiots.

Maybe Apollo won't run on older devices and they are silent because of this or maybe it will run just fine but the same idiots are in charge for the WP8 marketing and they have decided to stay silent on the issue on purpose.

Seketh

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
appollo coming out in a few months? bulllll maybe a annoucment or something if the earliest we'd see a release date is September

Learn to read. I wrote announcement!

Anyway, has there ever been an unofficial "leak" that clearly states that Apollo isn't coming to current Windows Phones?

Microsoft hasn't been clear officially, but I don't recall ever reading a statement like that!

canesfan625

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Updates come from the carriers and MS can't make promises for the carriers, I think that's why they can't say. I don't believe its a matter of can devices run it, it's a matter of will the carriers do it?

omg you "carriers" people. I wish that someone would make a sticky. For the 15 billionth time. Carriers are CONTRACTUALLY OBLIGATED to push major updates. Why they haven't said is because Apollo is an UNANNOUNCED product. When Apollo is announced then we will know. It really is that simple.

trazer

Dec 22, 2011
Visit site
But they can skip an update correct? I'm still waiting on the last update released months ago to hit my phone to no avail.

Currently as far as I can tell the only way to be sure you are current is to get a new phone running the new version as it may be months or more before you ever see it. If they can skip then it I may never be fully up to date. Regardless, it's a mess.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3