Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    I'm new to WP7, but there appears to be no database apps available. Is there no Handbase or MobileDB style database apps? What prevents them from existing?

Thanks!

If I correctly understand what a Database app is I think there are no limitations to make one.
    You do have excell on a WP7 so there's your DB managment and you can do most stuff there.
    An app could be done to sync the DB between devices if though.
    What do you expect from a DB app?
    Developer

You may check the app DataHub: DataHub in the US Marketplace

Or Database: Database in the US Marketplace

Quote Originally Posted by wcalhoun View Post
    What prevents them from existing?
    It seems, somewhat surprisingly, that managing data on smartphones is quite a niche application: Only few people seem to do it in any serious way.

Contrast that with the considerable complexity of a good smartphone database app, and the still low market share of WP7.

By the way: If you look at the reviews of those two apps it becomes clear very quickly that there are tons and *tons* of features that one can reasonably wish for in a database app. It just never ends...

Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    DB app pickings are pretty slim, but I understand the point about not many people using db apps on a phone. It would be nice if MS would support MS Access on mobile devices.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Slim? It's slimmer than Blackberry. Never thought I'd see the day.

Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    The problem persists even in the Win 8 Metro environemnt. WinRT doesn't have it's own database, and doesn't even have support for talking to server databases (no System.Data.* classes). You wind up having to write your app to talk to a web service that then talks to the database.

Even if the app is running in Metro on a desktop machine.

There's an effort to port the SQLite library to WinRT, but it's kind of sad that it's come to this.

Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Bump. Still nothing?

Global Posts
    2,567 Global Posts
    Windows Phone does have a local database, it is SQL CE.

How to: Create a Basic Local Database Application for Windows Phone
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by BBrefugee View Post
    Bump. Still nothing?
    What did you miss in the two database apps that I linked to earlier in this thread?

In the meantime, a third freely configurable database app appeared:
    http://www.windowsphone.com/en-US/ap...6-37bfc3b45d86

Most people who think they need a db on a mobile are just coding things wrong or trying to use the device for something it was never intended to do.

Global Posts
    2,409 Global Posts
    Well apparently there's not a big demand for it or more devs would have developed apps to fill the need. Put it in the suggestion app enough and MS will add it with any luck!
    Your smartphone is only as smart as YOU let it be!

Can anyone give me app with code just for learn how to implement database scenario in windows application.
    Please help me....
    thanks in advance

can you give me app with code which include database scenario.like user signup detail store in database and than when user want to login in that app fetching that signup data detail from database.
    i hope you definitely help me ,i am totally new to windows phone app development.i search many place for this matter but not getting ans according to my expectation.i see you develop app which is very much resemble to my expectation so can u please help me.?
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrunner View Post
    You may check the app DataHub: DataHub in the US Marketplace

By the way: If you look at the reviews of those two apps it becomes clear very quickly that there are tons and *tons* of features that one can reasonably wish for in a database app. It just never ends...
    rbrunner... thank you for the shout-out. We are about to update DataHub to fix the broken DropBox support, then add SkyDrive, then add Windows 8/RT version... and THEN start adding some of those tons of requested features.