Canada: Rogers WP7.5+ now all Nokia!

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Summary: Samsung WP line now officially MIA in Canada, Rogers WP line all Nokia. It seems to me that besides the HTC Radar on WIND, we're poised to only have Nokia Windows Phone devices up here with Lumia 800 on Telus and 710/900 on Rogers. For whatever reason these OEMs are not as active, it seems Nokia might be close to taking over the Canadian Windows Phone market.

Rogers seems to have taken off the Samsung Focus on their phones listing:

http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wire...=PhoneThenPlan&productType=normal&N=52+11+282

...they've also docked the Lumia 710's 3-year contract price to $29.99...
http://www.rogers.com/web/link/wire...mal&productId_Detailed=LUM710BLKR&N=52+11+282

...and have also begun listing the Lumia 900 on the promotions page, see "THE ULTIMATE WINDOWS PHONE WITH LTE"

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=WRLS_HOME##WirelessBanner-2

Macleans - Windows Phone, the next phone for hipsters?

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/03/14/nokias-lumia-800-the-new-phone-for-hipsters/

Last edited:

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Good stuff sad about the Focus but its nice to see the Lumia 900 on there. Now if at&t would get it on there site.

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I went to pick up a Focus a week ago and all the stores told me that it was discontinued. Thankfully they still had some units online so I should be getting one in the mail soon, but if you wanted anything other than Nokia, you're out of luck.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
For any bizarre individual bizarre enough to not desire Nokia's WP offerings, provincially-operated carrier Sasktel is selling the Radar 4g for $370 off-contract. It should be available from Sasktel.ca and once unlocked will work on any of the big 3, as it uses the same 850/1900 HSDPA (+). For that matter, anybody with deep enough pockets can import and unlock any of ATTs offerings, including the HTC Titan, as they also utilize those same bands.

bilzkh

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
Of the 2nd gen, it was only Nokia (besides HTC's Radar) that actually came to Canada. Yet there is no shortage of Samsung, LG and HTC Android handsets out here, just makes me wonder what these OEMs are truly up to. Hate to sound so cynical and immature, but man something seems iffy.

On another note, a friend of mine lost his iPhone and asked a Rogers rep for tips on an interim device (till iPhone 5), and right on the spot the rep pushed Lumia 710! He said "it was a slick device, great price point and has a lot of the common apps already on iPhone" that was my friend used to... My friend was getting really fed up with the low-end Android he had on hand, and switched to the Lumia. Now he said he's going to be "stuck choosing" between the upcoming Apollo prospects and iPhone 5 :)

Last edited:

TheDoros

Dec 3, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping that more WP devices become available for Wind. I'm waiting for my contract to expire to jump ship.

3 year contracts is just stupid.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
I'm really hoping that more WP devices become available for Wind. I'm waiting for my contract to expire to jump ship.

3 year contracts is just stupid.

Sent from my T9295 using Board Express

Totally agree! If only Nokia would make more WP phones w/ Wind's band frequency..i wouldn't mind buying them out right and going to Wind! hate dealing w/ Rogers!

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
well the focus is 2years old! not surprise its EOL (end of life)

canada getting 3 NOkia phones one shot is nice ,

ROgers getting x2
Telus getting x1
and bell completely dropped WP till WP8 (if they come back, and its a big if )

HTC is coming back to Canada as well ( according to reps ) and Samsung is gona be coming back as well with WP8

not worried although Canada seems to be in a down hill battle right now with WP.

as for WIND MOBILE , honestly boys and girls ,Ii really don't want to be an A hole right now but Wind mobile is not even top 6 Cell phone carrier in Canada and would not be the best HOME for WP specially trying to get more attention.

1. Telus
2. Bell/Rogers
3. ROgers/Bell
4. Fido
5. Koodo
6. Virgin
7. Solo
8. public mobile
9. Wind Mobile

not 100% accurate in that order but pretty much is. public and WInd mobile are tight and far behind.

Last edited:

OOS

Jan 14, 2012
Visit site
I'd love to see Virgin get some WP when Apollo comes out; they have the best approach to data that i've seen from any of the major carriers in Canada so far.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo