sharing apps between my phone and my wife's phone

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I just got my wife a new Samsung Omnia W phone and now have to set it up such that any apps that i purchase can also be used by her (WP7 allows upto 5 phones to use the apps i think). She was in Iphone fan but liked my titan a lot.

I use a live account as my primary id for the phone, but, if i add the same live/hotmail ID it will also sync the calendar to her phone (which i dont want), so how do i setup her phone so that she gets all the apps I have already purchased but does not mess up her calendar and email.
btw, this is pretty easy on an iphone with itunes as all the apps automatically get transferred to a new phone and the apple id used to purchase the apps does not link to the email,contacts and calendar.

Thanks for all the help.
chandrasekhar

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I think you can only have one live id tied to the phone. What you can do is stop her phone synching calendar etc but then she won't have her own calendar etc.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Disable calendar syncing on your primary account. Then you wife can install a second account and sync that instead. I have both a Hotmail and Live account, and they both sync mail, contacts and calendar. She will still get mail for for the primary account though. Call that a family account or something like that.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

gerrymad

Apr 6, 2011
Visit site
I created a combined live aco**** for us. That is the one both phones are registered on. We each have our own mail account which we use for contacts and calendar. The only thing oyu give up is the Twitter and Facebook integration as these are tied to the primary account on the phone.

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
I did this when I let my close friend borrow my old Focus. I used my Live ID on the phone and disabled it everywhere (calendar, email, contacts). The only thing I do not like is that it keeps re-syncing my Twitter account to the phone even after we delete manually from the phone. Our only guess is that it is tied to the Live account. Oh, and she is stuck with my avatar in the games section, but that isn't terrible.

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
great suggestions all, i had already put in her gmail and facebook accounts so she is up with all the usual things like calendar and contacts and stuff from her gmail account. she is only lacking the live account id for marketplace purchases.
So if i put in my live account she will be able to make purchases from the marketplace, but, will that also force the phone to get emails from that account, or is there any way to disable the email from that ID?
thanks

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I have one more question related to the live id.
If i add a primary live ID once, can a second live id be used to purchase apps from the phone?
IE, if my wife adds her own live ID as the primary id of the phone, will she be able to switch it while purchasing the apps.
This is so simple in the iphone, i cant understand why MS has made it so hard to do some simple things on an otherwise wonderful phone.

PS: i was discussing the new phone with my wife and she mentioned that she really likes it and, get this... "if apple had made this OS, it would have been hailed as changing the world once again, by all the pundits" Its just the baggage of the Windows name that is holding it back. And also the piss poor advertising in India by MS.

Last edited:

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Can't change your Live ID without a hard reset. Microsoft makes it hard because they don't want "every" user sharing paid apps across multiple unconnected devices.

With some up front, long term planning, you create a "family" Live ID and use that as the primary across multiple devices. Don't have to sync anything.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

TitanChandu

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the FAQ link Se1fcr3ation.
Useful, although very dissapointing policy on part of microsoft.

If microsoft has the 5 device use policy they should make it easy for users to use it. Apple makes it so simple to use it on all apps downloaded on the ipad/iphone, all you have to do is to put in the correct apple store id while purchasing the apps.
I think that this is something that needs to be sorted out by microsoft at some point otherwise it is going to hurt them as more people start using the WP7/8 and run into the same problem of not being able to share apps within a family easily.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Is there any update on this subject with regards to WP8? In Windows 8, this is actually possible, so I am rather pleased with the Windows 8 marketplace and Xbox Music sharing.

mcheiron

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft's policy is "5 devices of a single person" - which makes link to a single Live/Microsoft ID quite reasonable. It is not for family use.

That is pretty lame considering that the Windows App store for windows 8 and RT has different rules and especially the competition is much open and relaxed. A big disadvantage for wp8.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3