Sharing files when not online

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
My wife was abroad the other week, and she encountered something really rubbish with Windows phone.

Roaming data charges are quite insane still, so data she switches data off while abroad. Now, she uses the Lumia to take some pics of whatever - people, places, etc. and would like to share them with family that she is visiting.

1. Not everyone has a wifi connection, so she can't just email them.

2. WP doesn't offer Bluetooth file transfer

3. WP won't work as a USB mass storage device

4. The only option was to install Zune on family or friends' computer to share pictures.

Is this really supposed to be a "well connected" device?

The more I think about it, the more fed up we're getting with this piece of cr*p...

Can anyone else think of a way, when there's no wifi connection?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
When she can find a WiFi connection, have her upload the pictures to Skydrive or Picasa or any other picture hosting web space.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
When she can find a WiFi connection, have her upload the pictures to Skydrive or Picasa or any other picture hosting web space.

That's easy to say for us here in western Europe and North America where everyone has a WiFi router at home. In eastern Europe, a landline internet connection is much more expensive than a 3G internet stick as a modem. Not many people have their own WiFi network set up at home.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Even in eastern Europe I would think she could find a coffee shop or internet cafe with WiFi. Are there any colleges or hospitals around? They may have a public/guest WiFi connection. Just a thought.

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
Even in eastern Europe I would think she could find a coffee shop or internet cafe with WiFi. Are there any colleges or hospitals around? They may have a public/guest WiFi connection. Just a thought.

Yes, there are cafes etc. with Wifi, but you have to pay.

But let's be honest, picture this scenario: I'm not being sarcastic, just real life situation:

Visiting family, you take some good pictures on your windows phone of a family dinner. You'd like to share these with the family members. They don't have Wifi at home. Do you get up and say "I'm gonna go into town to find a coffee shop to email you these pictures. I'll be back in half an hour"? Don't think so.

So, install Zune on their computer. That's Microsoft's answer. That's just BS. I think it's something nobody thinks about - data roaming is such a stumbling block.

Microsoft is an international company, but with an American viewpoint, not realising that people all over the world cross boarders every day, and can't use the data services because they're just too expensive.

At least there's now the offline version of Drive...

PG2G

Dec 20, 2010
Visit site
When the phone is plugged into a computer it should use the computer's internet connection, so you could always do that. Or does that require Zune to be installed also?

Personally, I'd just send the pictures out when my trip was over.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
MS has a suggestion site and for WP there is a suggestion app. However it may only be available in US and North America ( I am not sure). The more people that post the need for BT file sharing the more likely it is to be added to the feature set for WP

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Not positive, but pretty sure you can connect a WP to an ad hoc WiFi connection. So if anyone had a laptop/device with WiFi, create a connection and use one of several WP apps to transfer the files. No Internet connection required.

Sent from my HTC Surround using Board Express

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
few things you can do.

1 get a local SIM card for your Nokia in the country your are in.
2. man up and send the picture and pay the bill like every one else.
3. call your carrier before you go to Europe and add a ROAMING DATA option
4. stop complaining about this being a WP issue cause its the same for EVERY single OS.
5. ask a Local to share his hotspot WIFI with you for 30 secs. ( I do this all the time )
6. use skydive and share public.
7 use the app: flick+share
8. dont send the picture , wait a few days till you come back.

FYI:

Regarding BT , im not sure how your planing on sharing picture with BT over seas. im pretty sure BT only has a 25feet range LOL! so how this is relevant to you roaming , only god knows. and BT sharing is coming in the future BTW. all the new phones already support NFC.

roaming has nothing to do with MS and its the same issue even if you have an Iphone , android , BB or a WP. so its not a legitimate complaint for this site.

so basically if i understand your complaint correctly your blaming MS for Roaming and not having BT sharing ( witch wouldn't help you more in roaming situations LOL )

Last edited:

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you understand him correctly. The way I took it was that the issue is that his wife is at her family's house. There is no WiFi available, and her data is turned off as to not pay roaming charges. The issue is that, short of installing zune or paying roaming or leaving to track down WiFi, there is no simple way to get the pics off of the phone. Granted, options 1,2,3, and 8 that you give are legitimate it's just the "roaming has nothing to do with MS and its the same issue even if you have an Iphone , android , BB or a WP. so its not a legitimate complaint for this site" part that is wrong. He isn't complaining about roaming, he is complaining about not being able to access pics without zune or data, which is an issue with WP. Also, BT transfer WOULD help because his wife was physically at the place where she wanted to share. This is one of my few gripes with WP, I miss beaming items to other phones.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
but it IS possible to share pics/vids OFFLINE.. its one app. lol

Flick+share
is the name of the app (works between all OS IOS,BB,WP,Android etc.. )
I haven had reception on my phone in over 1 week and I still share info ( I need to take a picture of my team's stats every day and send it by e-mail ) I use flick+share. I take the pic , flick up to my other Phone (with work e-mail ) then forward that to my boss's e-mail on the go.

not once do i connect to PC , BT or Data. + i cant instal any thing on my work PC.

so budy , tell your wife to buy Flick+share. problem solved!

PS flick+share needs looks for your location before it turns on but you dont need location on to use it.

Last edited:

aliensa

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
@Se1fcr3ation

Does Flick+share use normal WiFi or a 3G data connection?

Or does it connect directly via WiFi to another phone?

holzlondon

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
I don't think you understand him correctly. The way I took it was that the issue is that his wife is at her family's house. There is no WiFi available, and her data is turned off as to not pay roaming charges. The issue is that, short of installing zune or paying roaming or leaving to track down WiFi, there is no simple way to get the pics off of the phone. Granted, options 1,2,3, and 8 that you give are legitimate it's just the "roaming has nothing to do with MS and its the same issue even if you have an Iphone , android , BB or a WP. so its not a legitimate complaint for this site" part that is wrong. He isn't complaining about roaming, he is complaining about not being able to access pics without zune or data, which is an issue with WP. Also, BT transfer WOULD help because his wife was physically at the place where she wanted to share. This is one of my few gripes with WP, I miss beaming items to other phones.

Thanks for understanding the problem. It's not blaming MS for roaming, it's about not being able to download a pic from a phone without a data connection.

Look, to all who say that it's the same with all OSes, it's not.

Symbian and BBOS devices can simply send pics to other devices, PCs etc. through Bluetooth, no problem. Alternatively, they also work as mass storage devices on USB (I believe Android can do this too?)

We've gone and made UIs slicker and cooler and smoother, but have less functionality than devices from 3, 4 or even 5 years ago.

Of course a smartphone is going to be less functional withouth 3G or WiFi, but being able to download a pic to a PC should work without a data connection, at least I think so.

Topic local SIM Card - she has one, but not a micro SIM, so that would have been a trip to the shop and getting a new SIM for the Lumia. Not out of the question, and worth thinking about for next time, just a little bit of a hassle.

PS: gonna look into flick+share

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
Topic local SIM Card - she has one, but not a micro SIM, so that would have been a trip to the shop and getting a new SIM for the Lumia. Not out of the question, and worth thinking about for next time, just a little bit of a hassle.

PS: gonna look into flick+share

yeah its a bit of a hassle , but you'll notice that ALLOT of the airports around the world actually have Cellphone carriers In the airport :p so you shouldn't have to go to far :)

JPDVM2014

Sep 11, 2011
Visit site
but it IS possible to share pics/vids OFFLINE.. its one app. lol

Flick+share
is the name of the app (works between all OS IOS,BB,WP,Android etc.. )
I haven had reception on my phone in over 1 week and I still share info ( I need to take a picture of my team's stats every day and send it by e-mail ) I use flick+share. I take the pic , flick up to my other Phone (with work e-mail ) then forward that to my boss's e-mail on the go.

not once do i connect to PC , BT or Data. + i cant instal any thing on my work PC.

so budy , tell your wife to buy Flick+share. problem solved!

PS flick+share needs looks for your location before it turns on but you dont need location on to use it.

If this really is the case and flick+share works without any data, I stand corrected, and I really need to check out this app. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium